Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare and Inishturk islands get grant aided satellite internet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hooray for the Islands smile.gif ... did you know in Celtic times the Islands off the west coast of Ireland use to be the busy commercial, area of Ireland and not the east smile.gif (all that fishing and shipping or something made it popular) ... anyway

Wow, are we able to sign up for this NOW? I mean £1,600 for installation may be steep, but it sure is cheaper than a leased line. I assume it's 24:7 access right? And what sort of upload and download speed and is there any limit? 500 ping ain't bad at all for a satellite, I'd be so happy to get it. Please, Please, please post any information people have about these companies' web-site addresses, telephone numbers, prices as soon as you find out.

thx! This forum really is great for getting the latest info on developments of net access in Ireland smile.gif

Whilst Tiscali has not officially launched any pricing yet, it is expected that installation for the VSAT will be around £350 (this will be subsidised in order to improve takup). The speed will be 500kbps downstream, 150kbps upstream. Another company worth looking at is Aramiska (www.aramiska.com). They are only going to target SMEs though, and not consumers.

Monthly charges?

Metered or unmetered?

Mmm i dont log on for a few hours and when i do i find insults and murder going on, however, i do ahve to add, we all deserve internet access, and in whatever way we have it we have to make do untill someone actually does someting like IO, at least now all of Ireland [i think] is actually connected and the ppl on the south side in Tallagh, Killnamanagh and Templeogue can enjoy the best of this weak, unacceptable, internet access.

I posted the info for this service many times in the past..... some ppl just seem not to bother looking up past topics ....

I got this email after I asked for specific details about the satellite internet access.....

£2000 installation, £150 a month + additional charges after downloading 466megabytes per month .... a little to expensive for me frown.gif !

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Thank you for your e-mail 26 June 2001.

The service is not an unmetered service, for the basic monthly fee an end user can download 466 Mbytes and send 46 Mbytes of data per month additional data is charged extra. There is no per minute charge for being online.

Regards,
    Douglas Armstrong
    Managing Director
    Web-Sat Limited
    Tel: +353 1 4509480
    Fax: +353 1 4505725
    www.web-sat.com </font>

• Advertisement

I posted the info for this service many times in the past..... some ppl just seem not to bother looking up past topics ....

I got this email after I asked for specific details about the satellite internet access.....

£2000 installation, £150 a month + additional charges after downloading 466megabytes per month .... a little to expensive for me frown.gif !

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Thank you for your e-mail 26 June 2001.

The service is not an unmetered service, for the basic monthly fee an end user can download 466 Mbytes and send 46 Mbytes of data per month additional data is charged extra. There is no per minute charge for being online.

Regards,
    Douglas Armstrong
    Managing Director
    Web-Sat Limited
    Tel: +353 1 4509480
    Fax: +353 1 4505725
    www.web-sat.com </font>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

So good you said it twice ando? smile.gif

To be fair, no-on in the thread said it was Web Sat. And the last time I talked to them, they still weren't making the service available in Ireland.

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    So good you said it twice ando? smile.gif
    </font>

woops wink.gif !! lol

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neville:
    Monthly charges?

Metered or unmetered?
    </font>

If you're referring to Tiscali/GIlat's service, it will be completely unmetered and always-on for a flat fee. They haven't released this yet, but from what I've heard, it's expected to be £49/month (more in Irish pounds of course).

You won't be allowed to run a server though. Connection will be via a satellite modem with either USB or Ethernet.

[/topic] ..turning into a slagging match..nothing worthwhile

EDIT

Personal insults have no place here i feel , no doubt most others aggree, good to see them edited out.

[This message has been edited by Longfield (edited 26-07-2001).]

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Urban Weigl:
    it's expected to be £49/month (more in Irish pounds of course).
    </font>

Whoooohoooo!!!!

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Whats the catch?
    At that price, who needs ISDN?

Originally posted by Gladiator:
    yea true, and my heart goes out to them, but
    lets not pertend there the only ones it just really ****ed me off, what she was saying last night, anybody listening to it would get the impression there was a huge amounth of investment along the east coast

Well for what it's worth, I have to agree with Gladiator here. Don't get me wrong fair play to the west and hopefully the NW soon(I'm In Sligo)for getting Sat Internet: but as Gladiator said the Minister should have said that Net Access in the WHOLE of Ireland needs a revamp and that they were starting with the West.
    Net access is very poor and costly all over and Ms O' Rourke made it sound like only the west had poor access.

Mick.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neville:
    Whoooohoooo!!!!

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Whats the catch?
    At that price, who needs ISDN?
    </font>

There are two issues of concern regarding Gilat/Tiscali satellite Internet:

1. You aren't allowed to run server(s)
    2. Ping times can be quite high, meaning it isn't very useful for online games (StarCraft-like games should be fine, but shooters that require quick reactions are out)

Satellite Internet is ideal for web surfing and downloading.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by obewan:
    Originally posted by Gladiator:

Well for what it's worth, I have to agree with Gladiator here. Don't get me wrong fair play to the west and hopefully the NW soon(I'm In Sligo)for getting Sat Internet: but as Gladiator said the Minister should have said that Net Access in the WHOLE of Ireland needs a revamp and that they were starting with the West.
    Net access is very poor and costly all over and Ms O' Rourke made it sound like only the west had poor access.

Mick.
    </font>

thats my whole point, alot of people here didnt see the report and id guarantee that if they had the very same people calling my a muppet would have been calling for the ministers head

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 27-07-2001).]

Gladiator, when you're quoting in replies to posts, please only include the relevant text. Bandwidth is limited enough as it is...

adam

if you havent anything nice to say....

Gladiator, we're here for a reason - or at least I am anyway - the Internet in Ireland is too slow and expensive, and we're trying to fix it. While it is expensive and slow, fluff on webpages is costing me money - sure, one page isn't going to hurt me, but you do it all the time, and so do a hell of a lot of other people, and it all adds up. I'm asking you to correct your behaviour, in line with good netiquette guidelines. Is that too much to ask?

adam

actually thats an extremely good idea
    we should ask bard to draw up exceptable guidlines for posting to this forum,
    some,including myself, are takeing this far to casual, and it doesnt tie in with the image we want to persent

Bard doesn't need to draw up anything - there are Rules, Policies & Guidelines that you agreed to when you signed up, and there are a shedload of resources out there that explain the concept and guidelines of netiquette in detail. Follow the rules and guidelines and you won't go far wrong. And I'm just being honest when I say that you really need to read them Gladiator.

adam

all you had to say was it was a bad idea

• Advertisement

You see, that's why you need to read them - there was absolutely no need to reply to my previous post, it was a waste of time - mine, yours and everybody else's who clicked on the link because there was a new post. And as a matter of interest, I replied to your message in detail because the last time I posted a one-line response you did exactly the same thing. Please, either learn how to use the Internet responsibly, or don't use it at all.

adam

you abite full of yourself, arnt you,

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    you abite full of yourself, arnt you, </font>

No, he's perfectly correct!!!

what that everybody should use the internet how he wants them to

Delphi91
    what that everybody should use the internet how he wants them to</font>

Not at all.

But there are certain "rules" that people follow while on the net.

Have a look at: http://www.fau.edu/netiquette/net/dis.html

Particularly, the section that says:

"When quoting another person, edit out whatever isn't directly applicable to your reply. Don't let your mailing or Usenet software automatically quote the entire body of messages you are replying to when it's not necessary. Take the time to edit any quotations down to the minimum necessary to provide context for your reply. Nobody
    likes reading a long message in quotes for the third or fourth time, only to be followed by a one line response: "Yeah, me too."

I think that's what dahamsta was referring to earlier on this morning.

Mike

why didnt he say so, message edited

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    Gladiator, when you're quoting in replies to posts, please only include the relevant text. Bandwidth is limited enough as it is...

adam
    </font>

He did say so. Twice actually.

Sorry to be dragged into this pettiness, but this topic is drifting badly. I know im not helping by replying in this manner, but after his comments about AC, im annoyed.

why didnt he say so, message edited</font>

He DID!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at his message posted at 10.29am!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dustaz:
    but after his comments about AC, im annoyed.</font>
    what comments, i called her a civil servant, guess what, she is,
    some people,

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Delphi91:
    He DID!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at his message posted at 10.29am!!
    </font>
    i tend not to read allot of his post, usely just along the lines, you muppet, you go away, me great..

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 27-07-2001).]

Advertisement