Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commissioner Liikananen response

Options
  • 28-06-2001 8:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

FYI, Commissioner Liikanan responded to my email today. It was a bit of a pass-the-buck-non-answer, but hopefully the person who currently has the buck will follow up. I don't have time to post the details now, I'll stick 'em in this thread later.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Great stuff adam, getting people like him or his aides to become aware of the Irish situation is a positive move.
    BTW i was greatly impressed with you're mail to him..said it all..

http://iewebs.com/~dahamsta/correspondence/LLU.Erkki_Liikanen.txt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Actually I was a bit miffed with it, I copied and pasted a paragraph to rephrase something, which put the acronym definitions in the wrong place. Picky picky picky. smile.gif

Anyway, Commissioner Liikanan's response is here (my reply is also in that directory, but it's not very interesting). Basically, he's handing me off to a gentleman by the name of Peter Rodford, who's responsible for implementing the legislation. I'm hoping that Mr. Rodford will respond in more detail.

He also pointed me to a report on LLU that he delivered to the European Council a few weeks ago, and the European Parliament yesterday. It's worth a read actually, presuming this is the one he's referring to. It's also just a wee bit ironic, because in it he mentions using competition rules as a method of tackling the problem, which I was only thinking about only moments before Mr. Liikanan's emailed arrived in my Inbox. To that end, I'm going to contact the Competition Authority tomorrow.

I feel just a weeny bit guilty at not telling the Commissioner that his email would be archived on the web, but it was an omission rather than a malicious act, and I don't think it really constitutes a breach of trust, since he is after all a public servant and I was broaching a matter of public interest. That said, I'll tell him the next time and I'll remove them if he has an objection. I would also recommend that anyone else who decides to write a few letters be clear about it. Best not to raise hackles.

Unless it's Eircom of course, I don't care a jot about them... smile.gif

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Just another heads-up on this topic - I received a letter from the European Commission this week, confirming that my email to Commissioner Liikanen has been registered as an official complaint. It notes that the assignment of an official reference number doesn't necessarily mean that an infringement procedure will be opened, but at least they seem to be taking it somewhat seriously. The default in proceedings like this is to assume the complainant wished to proceed anonymously, but I'll be getting back to them shortly to let them know I don't mind disclosing my identity. If anything else interesting happens, I'll post here again.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    I received a letter from the European Commission this week, confirming that my email to Commissioner Liikanen has been registered as an official complaint</font>

Good stuff Adam. We need more of these.

Seamus

WOW!!!!
    Absolutely excellent stuff!!! Thanks, Adam.

Maybe at the seminar we could arrange to set up a letter of complaint and send it off to the commissioner. If all attending IOFFL members sign up, just to give your request a little bit more weight we might be able to add a 'little' urgency to your (dare I say our???) request...

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    I received a letter from the European Commission this week, confirming that my email to Commissioner Liikanen has been registered as an official complaint. </font>

Now that is BIG!!

Well done Adam. Like w/ most things in Ireland (roads, agriculture, College Fees) I think a little bit of European Intervention in the funding of DSL and Broadband wouldn't go astray!!

Xlnt Work!

80p.

[This message has been edited by 80project.com (edited 04-08-2001).]

Advertisement