Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question...

Options
  • 05-08-2001 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

just a query, does anyone know how many exchanges there is in Dublin ? (aprox)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Although I presume you mean eircom's telephone exchanges, I think you'd best elaborate on your question there... specifically what type of exchanges - and owned by what company?

Bard
    G'wan... giz a click

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

please go on bard, im interested in what you mean by other companies, did some company build their own exchanges, or did they buy them off eircon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:

please go on bard, im interested in what you mean by other companies, did some company build their own exchanges, or did they buy them off eircon

</font>

Gladiator - In your eagerness to reply to every thread under the sun, you've apparently ignored the fact that the word 'exchange' doesn't necessarily mean 'land-line telephone exchange owned by eircom'. While that is most likely what ando is talking about, your reply is (unsurprisingly) completely unhelpful. I was simply asking for him to elaborate on his question to clarify it.

Bard
    G'wan... giz a click

neither was yours, but that's doesn't stop you either, and you have a flare for the over dramatic exaggeration,
    hardly every topic under the sun, I simple asked for you to clarify what you were saying,

Anyhow ive no interest in getting it to the semantics of this with you,

Ando, there are 20 main telecom exchanges in Ireland of hundreds across the country, I don't know were they are as getting that info seems unusually hard, but I read in an odtr report some time ago, that there was 20 exchanges that telecoms had expressed an interest in for llu,

Much as I hate to defend Gladiator, but he's basically right - an exchange is pretty specifically a point where local loop is terminated. Anything else is usually called a NAP (Net Access Point), POP, interconnect point - basically anything but 'exchange'. The names change almost weekly, at the whim of comms companies Marketing Departments... wink.gif

Oh, and there are about 50 of them in Dublin

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 05-08-2001).]

• Advertisement

allways respected you man, for your fairness, and thanks for the info learn something new every day,

you dont happen to have a map to were those 50 exchanges are in dublin, its just nice to know, i allready know were my local one is

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:

you dont happen to have a map to were those 50 exchanges are in dublin, its just nice to know, i allready know were my local one is
    </font>

No idea. I guess that if there are 50, there must be one is every suburb, plus a few extra in the city. Beyond that, who knows? I sometimes keep an eye out for them when I'm driving around the city, but I've never spotted one.

Maybe there's something on the ODTR website, to help OLOs to pick out exchanges where they might like to unbundle lines?

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 05-08-2001).]

50 ! hmm, so how big are these exchanges ? I mean, are they like the small ESB bunkers/stations you see all over the subarbs or are they like the little green boxs you see on the side of walls (like cablelink boxs) etc ?

So if I'm correct, Eircom have upgraded 10 so far, for the trials... I guess no-one will know the answer to this question, but does anyone know how many eircom plan to start upgrading for 23th september ? (or how many Esat plan to upgrade for that matter, or does Esat have to wait for LLU to be completed/started first ?)

(ps) I'm sorry if I started a bit of tention in this topic, I'm just a bit curious !

Well exchanges presumably come in a variety of shapes and forms but they are definitely significantly sized buildings, not roadside boxes. I know of a few examples. The Bray and Shankill exchanges are both single story buildings about 15mx10m -ish. The Shankill one is located right on the village main street. Its compound is surrounded by a lovely barbed-wire topped fence. It also has a mobile mast. There's a much larger two story exchange on the N11 just north of Stillorgan. This also has a mast and is located right behind a new office bloack that's just been completed. There's an Eircom facility at the corner of Nutley Lane and the N11 also though this may not be an exchange as it has a lrage sat dish and may in fact be for RTE who are right next door.

BTW, the figure of 50 exchanges - is that for Co. Dublin or the 01 area? Does anyone know the identity of all the ADSL-equipped exchanges involved in the current trial? With 50 exchanges, will anyone in Dublin be out of range for ADSL services, once they're all equipped?

-Steve
    Opinions expressed
    are not necessarily
    those of the poster.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by steveconrad:
    There's a much larger two story exchange on the N11 just north of Stillorgan. This also has a mast and is located right behind a new office bloack that's just been completed.</font>

So when that office block is rented out can u imagine how long those poor *******s are going to have to wait for ADSL? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Yes yes, its a swipe at eircom, but if everyone else is doing it why cant i?

• Advertisement
Advertisement