Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary O'Rourke & payphones

Options
  • 06-08-2001 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Reading in todays Examiner that Mary O'Rourke is planning on rushing through legislation that will force Eircom to suspend their planned closures of a few 1000 phoneboxes. She also used the word "subsidy" as it wouldn't be commercial.

So next time she turns around to us with the argument that she cannot intervene in commercial affairs, we just lob the magic word "phonebox" at her and ask her why she isn't moving with the same urgency to provide affordable internet access.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

heh... I can see it now at the seminar...

Mary: "I can't do that!"

200 people: <yelling> "Phonebox!"

Mary: "Curses! Foiled again!"

Bard
    G'wan... giz a click

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Interesting actually on the internet access thingy - in France, work is already underway to provide broadband access to......get this......every home in France!!, and is funded by the French Gov. we can soooo afford to do this, considering the massive amounts of money wasted on tribunals and ministers flights and stuff. If Ireland is the technology hub of Europe, shouldnt we be trying to keep up with the times?(after the hospitals are fixed though, obviously). Most Irish people havent a clue how to even use the net properly, let alone have access to it!! Anyone an opinion on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Seamus,

As far as I know the French do have the best medical service of the Europeans as well (so not just the internet access thingy is sorted over there).
    Maybe we should get a few of those French politicians over to Ireland and dump those guys that only seem to line their pockets....

the french goverment know how to do things right, their roads/rail system is secound to none, i mean its all goverment subed,
    their rail service is totaly subed, connecting one end of franch to the other end,

We seriously have problems with our goverment here and investment in infastructure,

The French pay enormous taxes to support their nanny state. What's important here is the speed of movement that Mary can seemingly have when there's political gains (or prevention of losses) at stake. We shouldn't be expecting anyone to subsidise our access (why should they), but there are still players out there who want to provide a commercial service and are being blocked by Eircon foot dragging, ODTR incompetence and the Ministers lack of real involvement.

• Advertisement

will there be a slow clap for the odtr at the seminar, i would love that

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 07-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by seamus:
    Interesting actually on the internet access thingy </font>

Aaaaaaagh, there are two of us

(ah, the joys of being born in Ireland)

Advertisement