Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request to Eircom ....

Options
  • 11-08-2001 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I heard a while back from a report that Eircom thinks that there is no demand for ADSL or Boadband from the average internet user ....

Have a look at the speed I connected to Eircom from home with my '56k' kbps modem ....
    whatajoke.jpg

And as I know that some high league Eircom representatives look at this forum, this is the only way I can contact them effectively.

As an 'average' Irish Internet user, I DEMAND/WANT flat rate ADSL or Broadband ASAP .....
    I make this request to Eircom and other ISP's .... No more delays or false promises please Eircom.

There you go, short and sweet.

Ando (N.Dublin)

www.EFtraining.com

http://www.thealexandriaclan.barrysworld.net

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

LOL ando, i'm sorry but that connection speed is just taking the píss.
    Seriously though, if you do live in north Dublin, I wouldnt blame Eircom for that connect speed, i'd get another modem, and get my phone line checked, ie the wiring inside the house.
    BTW whats the "smily" app in your systray?

EDIT:This should be more like what you should expect

connectspeed.jpg

or

indigo.jpg

[This message has been edited by Longfield (edited 11-08-2001).]

To the Directors of Eircom.....

My name is Matthew Finucane and I am from North Dublin. I am also one of the country's many average internet users. Like many of us here we demand ( i say again Demand ) some sort of flatrate solution for internet access. I have had the internet for three years and I was a customer of Esat and their No-Limits service. They had to cut me off because I was put in their 'overuse' category. They lost money bnecause they had to pay you what alot of people might call 'exorbirant' prices to cater for my connection to the net. In the three years I have had online, there has been little or no improvement in internet services in Ireland. I understand that other telco's have to pay you in order to have access to your infrastructure. It has been said and seen that for an operator or an ISP to give the Irish consumer flatrate access, they would sustain a massive loss. Correct me if Im wrong here, but this is because they would have to pay you for access, at the same rate that we pay you for our access. Now since you own the lines yourselves, and the Exchanges, should you release flatrate, you wouldnt have to pay anyone. I mean how much does it cost you in raw materials to allow for flatrate internet access??? I mean its not as if you have to buy in raw materials and cover the costs for that. It costs me lets say 50p an hour to go online off-peak. How much does that cost you?? There are alot of people asking the same question, so to cover yourselves and to uphold a reputation, you should explain this to us here, so that we can read it.

If Im online for an hour then you stand to make a profit of at least 40p, taking into account you deduct electricity and staff wages charges and any other little overheads like maintenance. Again, you can correct me if Im wrong. I know some of you people high up in Eircom may be reading this, so take a little time out to explain all this to us.
    And another thing, how come you have not released any details of your DSL servies, like details on capping, price, installation charges and other important info??It is important to users like me, especially when it is so close to your Launch date.
    Personally, I will not pay more that IR£30 a month for DSL, and I wont get DSL if the service is capped.

Thanks,
    Matt Fincuane

North Dublin

lads i cant see my reply so if this is here twice sorry.

What i said was eircom doesnt care about us northsiders.
    but just today i saw esat installing broadband fibre at the five lambs accross from that pub, i think its called the old stand, i dont go inthere so i wouldnt know.
    anyway things maybe looking up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">lads i cant see my reply so if this is here twice sorry</font>
    I hate NTL's proxy, its the exact same here, the only way i can see posts i've made in the last hour is to disconnect and reconnect to another ISP. Its frustrating but downloads are nice ,whee!
    Isn't Indigo~Eircom ?

well up to awhile ago, no, it would be like saying isnt oceanfree esat, they both kept there own network and didnt mix with each other, in fact talkign to guys in esat they aparently hate each other but now that indigo has been disolved into eircom.net they are one in the same body

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Longfield:
    BTW whats the "smily" app in your systray?
    </font>

that application is a 'netTimer' to count the minutes and seconds that I have been online....

Its disgracefull that I have to pay one of the most expensive prices in Europe to obtain one of the worst/slowest connections in Europe frown.giffrown.gif while my friend in England gets a connection at 512Kbps Always On for £39 a month frown.giffrown.gif (and he thinks thats too dear)

Eircom just makes my blood boil, and this ****y pay per minute is really and I mean REALLY eating into my wallet since I was cut off the No-Limits service frown.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matfinn:
    Now since you own the lines yourselves, and the Exchanges, should you release flatrate, you wouldnt have to pay anyone.
    </font>

If they do it themselves, they have to offer OLO's a flat rate too.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neville:
    If they do it themselves, they have to offer OLO's a flat rate too.</font>

And what's wrong with that? IMHO it would be great if several companies offered unmetered Internet access. For one, it would allow us, the consumer, to make a choice.

sorry wrong thread wink.gif

[This message has been edited by 80project.com (edited 12-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Urban Weigl:
    And what's wrong with that?</font>

Nothing!
    Just pointing out that Eircom cannot "go it alone" on flat rate pricing, so until they are ready/forced to bring it in across the board, we will never see it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement