Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

it doesn't look good for those ADSL prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hubson you asking me or him,
    its got nothing to do with llu directly, but the when it happens your sure to see allot of movement on the llu front aswell

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    hubson you asking me or him,
    its got nothing to do with llu directly, but the when it happens your sure to see allot of movement on the llu front aswell
    </font>

I was asking Elana, but it was a rhetorical question anyway. I was trying to point out that Sept. 28 has nothing, zip, nada to do with LLU.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hudson806:
    In all fairness Elana, Esat haven't exactly rushed to take advantage of LLU - he only applied for access to Eircom exchanges in May, a full 5 months after it was possible to.

I know, I know, prices weren't set etc. etc., but everyone know that they would be regulated down to a low enough level that OLOs could turn a profit - Esat still chose to do nothing.
    </font>

I don't understand your reasoning here. No OLO is going to roll out DSL blind - which is what we're at at the moment. There is no guaranteees that the prices will be regulated low enough to turn a profit. Before the ODTR finally got off their behinds, it looked impossible to turn a profit, now we're in limbo land with prices being challenged. I don't fault ESAT in this situation, without them we'd be looking at no rival DSL operator at all.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hmmm:
    I don't fault ESAT in this situation, without them we'd be looking at no rival DSL operator at all.</font>

Esat had an alternative to doing absolutely nothing. They could have applied for unbundling in the exchanges they wanted, and then changed their minds if the prices weren't reduced. They decided to play games for political gain instead by not applying (its hard to pretend to the media that you're being bullied, when you've actually applied to use the exhanges...)

That said, what they did made sense for them strategically, but it just irritates me that some people seem to think that Esat are blameless, particularly when appearing blameless at all times is part of their PR strategy wink.gif

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 09-08-2001).]

Maybe you can tell us what 'applying' actually means, because it sure as hell isn't putting your name down on a little list outside Telecom HQ. Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree here, but I don't see any point in anyone going to time and expense to try and introduce a service that is patently unprofitable. Esat have introduced a 'fast track' proposal for their DSL service, as far as I can remember (open for correction here) this was before the whole SNL fiasco.

• Advertisement

hes right, if they had of applied the odtr could have steped in sooner to settle the price, applyign doesnt mean the price is set, it just gets all the player to the table,

as the odtr was very fond of bashing our heads with the fact she cant intervien without being requested by one of the sides, and since there was no side how could she intervien,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm afraid he's right hmmm, Eircom aren't the only guilty party here, it runs across the board. Eircom are guilty of course, of blocking the process by any and all means, and the ODTR are guilty - as the article someone posted recently - of being toothless, but the other OLO's, Esat in particular, have done little or nothing to help themselves. I say Esat in particular becuase they're the second biggest telco in Ireland, and they can afford to push the envelope. But they didn't, and it seems that they didn't because they wanted to keep competition between themselves and Eircom. They could have applied for space in the exchanges, but in my mind they steadfastly avoided an option that in my opinion could have broken the deadlock - a high-profile advertising campaign explaining the problem and lambasting Eircom for their reticence.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

hmm

Esat were about to start trialling adsl, and were allowed to do that, I was on the list for it.

Eircom discovered they couldn't get their equipment working, Esat's did.

Eircom's solution would surely be to improve their technology, but no, what eircom did was to throw Esat out of all it's exchanges, and stop their adsl plans. Esat if they had access would have it going in a couple of weeks.

How do I know this?

am friends with the top tech lad in Esat, how else do you think I was on the trial and got a free router wink.gif

hate to say it again lads, but another week, thats makes 3 since the odtr got the prices,
    wonder if we will get them next week

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by astrofool:
    Esat were about to start trialling adsl, and were allowed to do that</font>

Right. They were allowed access to exchanges by Eircom without ever applying for it. Yeah.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Eircom discovered they couldn't get their equipment working, Esat's did.
    </font>

When was this?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">am friends with the top tech lad in Esat, how else do you think I was on the trial and got a free router wink.gif</font>

I don't mean to criticise your friend, but I think he may be telling porkies...

• Advertisement

well hubson, they did announce they were going to trial adsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I don't know why the idea of Esat trialing ADSL is surprising to anyone.

I heard the first explicit mention of Esat trialing ADSL (in Cork), on the IIU mail list, back in June. Back in Feburary someone with an IOL email address said that he had just been hooked up with ADSL but declined to say which teleco (draw your own conclusions).

K

* I might add that his IOL email address, which I won't post, was such as to suggest that he'd been with IOL for a long time - perhaps even working for them.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kix:
    I don't know why the idea of Esat trialing ADSL is surprising to anyone.
    </font>

The only reason it surprises me is that they weren't even allowed to apply for access to Eircom exchanges until January, and they didn't actually apply until May.

And back in February, Eircom were busy trialling ADSL, so I guess he was probably with them

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 10-08-2001).]

I don't mean to criticise your friend, but I think he may be telling porkies...</font>

Nah it's true - it wasn't as public as the Eircom trial - there were two spreadsheets making the rounds as I remember - one had a list of phone number prefixes and if you were on the list your exchange would be part of the trial (I presume it tallied with the Eircon trial exchanges). The 2nd spreadsheet was the application form, had to be emailed to someone or other. I remember Terenure was on it so I went for it.

Last I heard Esat were blaming Eircom for not allowing them to go ahead with their trial, I don't know the background to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

The only reason it surprises me is that they weren't even allowed to apply for access to Eircom exchanges until January, and they didn't actually apply until May.</font>

Well of course, Esat and Eircom were perfectly allowed to come to any private arrangement they liked with regard to a trial. Allowing Esat access to one exchange for a trial is not the same as giving them general access.

From Eircom's point of view they could have got a nice bit of money for it and also the very valuable opportunity to get a first hand glance at what the competition had planned.

K

oh and a post on the ILUG list just now suggests that Esat are shortly restarting their trials (we should be getting a mail in a day or two). Fingers crossed.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hmmm:
    oh and a post on the ILUG list just now suggests that Esat are shortly restarting their trials (we should be getting a mail in a day or two). Fingers crossed.</font>

If you follow that up, it seems it's only for ESAT staff.. frown.gif

Mike

yea, it was allways only esat staff,
    dont expect more for along while yet, the only thign you can be sure of is the first people to provide adsl in your area will be eircon, and esat will allways be afew months behind. personaly ive seen esat leased line in action, and it doesnt fill me with confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Recieved yesterday:

Hi,

Esat Fusion is trailing ADSL!!!!

ADSL, short for Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line, is an exciting new
    technology that utilises existing telephone lines for multimedia and high
    speed data/internet communications at up to 10 times faster than traditional
    dial up access, in parallel with the regular telephone voice services.

This is an exciting time for us in Esat Fusion, as we put this new
    technology to the test!

As an existing customer of Esat Fusion, it is our pleasure to invite you to
    help us in this trial. This is an opportunity for you to avail of FREE high
    speed, always on Internet, for the duration of the trial.

All you have to do at first, is complete the attached questionnaire, and
    reply to above mail address.(dsltrials@esat.com)
    Once we receive your completed questionnaire, we will contact you to confirm
    whether or not you are eligible for the trial, and make further arrangements
    then!

This trial is subject to the strictest confidentiality. We request that you
    keep in confidence any information provided by Esat, or obtained during the
    trial and not disclose that information to any person without the prior
    written consent of Esat.

Thank you,

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dustaz:
    whether or not you are eligible for the trial, and make further arrangements
    then!

This trial is subject to the strictest confidentiality. We request that you
    </font>

There goes your chance of being deemed eligible biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Well, i doubt that the mass email is covered by any sort of confidiality as i didnt agree to anything.

I dont know, you try to help and disseminate information.... :/

it can only be good news that both Eircom and Esat are trialling dsl.

Advertisement