Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government trys to boost Telecoms & Broadband

Options
  • 12-08-2001 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

From the Sunday Tribune (12th August) :
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"The Government has radically overhauled its approach to developing Irelands telecoms infrastructure, as companies scale back investment

plans amid a slumping global market."

"About £20 Million will also go towards the roll-out of commercial broadband, with upto 40% support available in the border/midlands/west region.

But under the new rules, companies funded to develop regional fibre optic networks must open access to other operators."

"Another £15 million will go towards the commercial roll-out of DSL"
    </font>

Sounds promising, lets hope the companies (EIRCOM) make good use of the money and fast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">But under the new rules, companies funded to develop regional fibre optic networks must open access to other operators.
    </font>

Thats the kind of thing I like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

returning to my previous state as a sceptic for a moment I'll just say

"Well thats £35 million worth of Tea and Sandwiches for Eircom engineers then."

That £35 mil will perhaps help broadband eventually, but as with any grant coming from the government, there will be a long arduous routine in handing the money over then seeing that its put to proper (or any) use.

Advertisement