Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Study on all Irish ISP's

Options
  • 06-08-2001 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Now this has to be something that ioffl should be into,
    I’m not talking about a survey, But something much more then a survey, surveys often give options over solid facts and can be misleading depending on who you ask and what way to look ask it, i.e. the recent survey that said 50% of adults think the internet is useless, you can read that as 50% of all adults think the internet is useful,

We need something that will give every body a nice basic reference to go by,
    Something that’s separated into each ISP’s and then sections,
    I mean we have over 600 members at our finger tips, never before has their been a situation to do a comprehensive study on all Irish ISP from the averages user perspective, for the average user, and I think we should take advantage of it,

We break it up into sections, Customer support, Prices, Time from order to installation, services offered, were these service are offered, QoS, cut off…. And things like this,

Then you have info on each, like contact numbers, dial up numbers, dns, email address, websites, names of directors, address of head office, open hours,

I really think something like this is needed, and could be of help to allot of people,

I know all this info is out there if you look hard enough, but it’s hidden away across dozens of sites,

I like to put this forward for serious consideration of the ioffl committee, if nothing else it will attract a steady flow of traffic towards the site which can only be a good thing Again I’d be happy to help in anyway I can,

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 06-08-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

A well thought out idea, that would certainly help increase the hits to the web site. It'll require further thought and discussion of course - I'm sure we'll come up with something.

\-Thanks

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 06-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ill get the ball rolling

NTL multi link service, (cable tv, phone and internet)

Price
    £15 a month, 3.5p per minute on peak, 1.5p per minute off peak, free at weekends

Hours of service
    Daytime call charges apply from 8am-6pm Monday to Friday. Evening call charges apply from 6pm-8am Monday-Friday. Weekend call charges from midnight Friday-midnight Sunday and *Public holidays

Time from First request to start of service
    4 (approx) working days from the time you requested the contract, to delivery,
    2 weeks (approx) from recite of contract by ntl to activation of service.

Installation/Hardware charges

No installation charges and no additional hardware was needed.

Note a fee of £25 is charged to user who dont allready have NTL cable TV

Billing
    Billing is monthly. The bill is fully itemized with total calls at the end, plus standard charges of £15. All Call Charges are added up, with internet weekend calls charges to ntl being deduced at the bottom. If you have paid in advance for an ntl service, i.e. cable TV, you will be credited the amount in your account.

Note: Ntl incest on payment by Direct Debit.

Installing online software
    Ntl Provide a CD which includes all the necessary software for installing you internet connection, this CD is mailed out to you and includes your username. You need this CD to register for an internet dial up account; with out it you cannot access the ntl’s internet services.

Note this CD only works under win95/98 and with a screen resolution of 800 by 600 pixels and above.

Quality of Service
    From the period of July 8 to august 8 2001, the average internet connect was 48Kbps with peaks of 49.2kbps and a minimum of 46.6kbps.
    Only Noticeable error was while browsing, sometimes you will get a connection reset by pear error; this is a minor annoyance and can be fixed by pressing refresh.

Note: NTL’s internet service has an automatic cut of period of every 2 hours.

Customer Support,
    NTL’s customer support staff and well trained and knowledgeable, of the several times ive rang them my called were answered within 5 minutes on hold and almost immediately at the weekends, the person on the other end were courteous and we able to answer my queries. This level of support may differ from user to user, but this is an accurate assessment of my experience with them.

Services Provided

V.90 compatibility.
    5 email address.
    10mbs of web space.
    Online help.

Minimum Requirements
    Windows 95/98
    Processor 166 MHz
    Ram 32mb
    Hard Disk 80mb
    14.4kbs modem (BABT approved)
    800x600 monitor

Technical information

Number 2450429
    Preferred DNS server 194.168.4.100
    Alternative DNS server 194.168.8.100

Out going mail server smtp.ntlworld.ie
    Incoming mail server pop.ntlworld.ie

Office’s addresses

NTL Communications (Ireland) Ltd.,
    10 Permbroke Place,
    Ballsbridge,
    Dublin4.

NTL
    Building P2,
    East Point Business Park,
    Dublin 3,

Telephone numbers

Free phone 1800 321 321
    Technical support 1550 924 124 (58p per minute)
    Registration help line 800 924 422

Emails

Help@ntlworld.ie

Website
    www.ntl.ie
    www.ntlworld.ie

*Their is uncertaincy on what is meant by a public holiday

less of a survey and more of facts, opinions are all well and could but we need facts thats are not bias one way or another,
    this is the type of thing i was thinging,

we poll all the members in the mailing list and we ask them to send back as much infomation as they can on there isp, how long they are on hold with cs, what their average connecting speed is. try to get as many facts as we can, and we work on averages of the replies,

Now ive abite more to revise on that, afew links i could throw in and abite more info on settings,

heres a short list of the services we owud want info on

Chorus Cable internet
    Chorus Wireless Sevice
    NTl Cable internet
    NTL 2 way 56k internet
    Esat no limites service
    Esat Go free service
    Esat Iol Gold serive
    Eircom 56k service
    Eircom ISDN service
    UTV 56k serive,
    B&S 56k service
    Oceanfree 56k service
    And any more I may have forgotten,

Any Sat internet service,

Esat leased line service
    Eircom leased line service

These two may not be suitable for this study as the services quality, speed and prices pended mostly on location. So it may be imposable to give an accurate report on the,

Personnaly im extremely interested in reading one on ntl cable.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    Note: Ntl incest on payment by Direct Debit.</font>

Was it you who complained aboutInternet having wrong image?

smile.gif Martin

Thats what i get for using a spell checker, no worries of my using it again biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I, for one, thought the post of yours above Gladiator was very helpful and informative. Well done...

You've gotta admit, tho', - that was a funny typo wink.gif

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Advertisement

Come on lads one last post,
    ill run its if need be, if ill have to ill write something up on them all myself,

but coming from the users themself it would be allot fairer and even, i.e. i cant comment on isdn as ive never had it, ill start emailing people tomorrow that i know have the service

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 13-08-2001).]

I dont really know what this will achive unless it was an independent study ... aint everyone here diasisfied with the internet services in ireland anyway ...

And it would probably need to be done on a much broader numbers of people ...

And geographically the connection to an ISP in one county may be much diffrent from other counties ...

I think if the servy was scaled down so that members could make a desion within a few minuets which offers the best value/services instead of reading pages and pages information that's not really organised an will only bogg it down...

It would only need the basics like ..

ISP's (Providers names)

Connections (56kb v.09/isdn/cbl/xdsl/satalite/wireless etc )

Average Speeds (modem 33-44kb, cbl x up and x down, xdsl up and down etc ...)

price (instalation/rental/perminuet)...

Inculded services (web space etc ..)...

Downtime/problems (quality of connection)...

Emails (how many do you get, are the alaised etc)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

eh im thinking who ever posted that thir post is somehow involed with NTL, YOU KNOW WERE NOT BRAIN DEAD! i thought people werent allowed advertise on other peoples posts unless it was specifically set up for that purpose , companies theyll do anything to get out free ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I believe the NTL product has moved on a little since then, so I wouldn't worry about it too much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Ironic Post of the Month goes to kurisu.

Locking the irrelevance now!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement