Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In New York, you can get it for free...

Options
  • 16-08-2001 10:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Heh, sorry for the suggestive subject, I couldn't resist it. I knew it'd make you click you see. Dirty ****er...

Anyway, this is another one of those links designed to depress you and ruin your day. Ultimately though it's to demonstrate what a complete balls Ireland has made of the whole thing. In Ireland we can't get DSL. We can't even get an unmetered dialup service. What satellite we have available frankly bites. And here comes the crunch in this particular moan - WLL is available only on a very limited basis, and it's overpriced and badly implemented. But in New York they give it away for free...

High Speed, Freed

Doesn't that really bite?

adam

[Since when it feck a bad word? Hello?]

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 16-08-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

"A drive through Manhattan, which covered only a portion of midtown, identified approximately 1400 WiFi networks."

We'll just have to wait a few years...

[This message has been edited by Urban Weigl (edited 16-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Urban Weigl:

B]</font>

Is there not some company down in Killarney is doing this for free? (Sorry I don't have more details)

Not sure if they have 1400 access points there though.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hudson806:
    Is there not some company down in Killarney is doing this for free? </font>

http://www.wapprofit.com

Wireless Internet 802.11 is the standard. I think the two brothers from Formus (collapsed broadband wireless provider) are looking into this as well.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    In Ireland we can't get DSL. We can't even get an unmetered dialup service. What satellite we have available frankly bites. WLL is available only on a very limited basis, and it's overpriced and badly implemented. But in New York they give it away for free...</font>

I never taught someone could be so depressing .... but now at least I know its possible biggrin.gif !! lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Urban Weigl:
    "A drive through Manhattan, which covered only a portion of midtown, identified approximately 1400 WiFi networks."

</font>

That's kinda different though Urban Weigl - the majority of those networks would be private. That said, wireless is definitely the source of a resurgence in phreaking, because of weak security standards. Which is pretty cool, cos I missed it the first time round... smile.gif

adam

• Advertisement

New York: THe best city in the world!!

I worked there 2 summers ago on a J1 visa.
    Nothing would suprise me.

The city itself is a showroom for all things techie. If its "hot", you'll see it in NYC! (The only other expception obviously would be Silicon Valley!)

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

Yea ive been to nyc, its a freaky place, and yo ucant compare it to here,

i tell you the first time you go there, driving in from jfk its just blows your mind.

Great City but jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:

If its "hot", you'll see it in NYC! (The only other expception obviously would be Silicon Valley!)

</font>

um... and Tokyo presumably?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    um... and Tokyo presumably?</font>

No comment, Never Been. I'll take your word for it Niall.

I'd love to go though. Maybe I'll do the "JET" program when I finish college smile.gif

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

Advertisement