Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEMINAR DETAILS

Options
  • 12-08-2001 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This post contains important information about our forthcoming seminar as follows:

1) Seminar Details

2) Submitting Questions

3) Booking Arrangements

4) Sponsorship.

Seminar Title:

The Net Imperative: Improving Internet Access in Ireland
    A Seminar Hosted by IrelandOffline

Venue:
    Conrad Hotel, Dublin

Date:
    Wednesday 29th August, 2001

Timetable:

3:45 p.m - 4:15 p.m . Registration

4:15 p.m Opening Remarks
    Mary O'Rourke, Minister for Public Enterprise

4:35 p.m. What Users Want
    Martin Harran, Chairman, IrelandOffline

4:45 p.m. The Regulatory Environment
    Etain Doyle, Director of Telecommunications Regulation

5:00 p.m. OLO Perspective
    Speaker from ESAT to be announced

5:15 p.m Eircom Perspective
    Speaker from Eircom to be announced

5:30 p.m. Tea/Coffee

5:45 p.m Questions and Answers (See item on submitting questions below)

6:45 p.m. Closing Remarks
    Martin Harran, Chairman, IrelandOffline

7:00 p.m. End

Submitting Questions
    The Question and Answer session will be in a similar format to the TV programme of that name. There will be a panelist representing each of the organisations above with an independent Chairman. Questions will be submitted to the panel from the audience with each panelist asked to respond, followed by audience comments.

You can either submit a question in advance or during registration at the event. As there will only be time for a limited number of questions, you will have a better chance of your question being used if you submit it in advance.

*IMPORTANT* - I will be taking part in the panel and, in fairness to the other panelists, I do not want to see the questions in advance so do NOT send them to me - send them to Elana Kehoe at elana@zen.org - please indicate whether you will actually be attending the seminar.

Booking Arrangements
    The cost of the seminar will be £10 per participant for subscribed members of IrelandOffline and £20 for non-members - if you have not already subscribed, do so now at www.irelandoffline and save £10 smile.gif This is to cover room hire and tea/coffee. The room can hold about 250 people, allowing for speakers, invited guests, media, etc, this means about 200-220 participants. In order to ensure your place, you should book in advance by sending your name and email address ('tickets' will be sent by email) together with a cheque or postal order made payable to IrelandOffline to:

David Long
    Vice Chairman, IrelandOffline
    20 Westbourne Road
    Terenure
    Dublin 6W

Tickets will be issued on a first-come basis and there will only be 'pay at the door' admission if we are not fully subscribed in advance.

Sponsorship
    A number of people expressed a willingness to sponsor the event and/or make donations. We really need to know the final position on this. Unless we are specifically asked not to, we will acknowledge all donations by name (but not the amount) on the official seminar programme and on our website.

If you require more information, please do not hesitate to email me or any committee member.

Martin Harran
    Chairman, IrelandOffline

[This message has been edited by o_donnel_abu (edited 12-08-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This is our single most important event to date. We want the tickets to be as scarce as those for U2 at Slane!

We do not have funds for advertising, so we are depending on everyone to do their bit - tell as many people about it as possible, stick a notice up at work if you can, tell your friends, your family, your work associates, your taxi driver, your hairdresser, everyone you can think of smile.gif

Martin

hmm can i still pay 10 pounds at the door,(i know you said yo ucan but is it 20 or 10 pounds) only they dont call me paranoid for nothing,

i do nothing through my name, not even my sub to ntl,
    what way will membership be checked out, like will you have a list of members name and check if your names there

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    hmm can i still pay 10 pounds at the door</font>
    First of all, I already said.."and there will only be 'pay at the door' admission if we are not fully subscribed in advance" - I think we will be over subscribed in advance so it is likely to be ticket only.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">what way will membership be checked out, like will you have a list of members name and check if your names there</font>

Haven't really decided this yet, I personally would favour £20 at the door to encourage advance application and give us less hassle on the day but the committee will have to consider this.

Why not make life a little bit easier for us and apply in advance smile.gif

Martin

[This message has been edited by o_donnel_abu (edited 12-08-2001).]

Just thinking about this since...if anyone has a hang up about us emailing 'ticket', we can land mail it if you prefer - please say so in your letter, but include email address you used to register.

Just gives us a bit more work frown.gif

Martin

Can I suggest Dave thinks about setting up a paypal account, as it'll make it a lot easier for us to pay him.

<ick I should learn to read>

[This message has been edited by hmmm (edited 12-08-2001).]

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hmmm:
    paypal account</font>

Much as we would liked to have online payment, when we checked it out it was either impractical or too expensive.

Problem with Paypal, for example, - you have to have US bank account to draw down money.

Martin

thats great but the question was will it be 20 pound or 10 pound at the door for members,

And i think your missing my point, i dont want to pay by check of daft over the internet to someone i dont really know.

in fact i dont have a checking account just a cash save one. and allot of people will probably be the same,

Cant you just *email* out a post paid ticket, one were you can book a place and have one of these tickets but pay at the door for the ticket.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o_donnel_abu:
    Problem with Paypal, for example, - you have to have US bank account to draw down money.
    </font>

Are you sure Martin? Lots of Irish people have one - what you might be doing is selecting commercial rather than personal account (commercial is limited), but the personal can be used anywhere. I know that once there are transparent accounts, I'd have no problem paying to a personal email address.

Cant you just *email* out a post paid ticket, one were you can book a place and have one of these tickets but pay at the door for the ticket. </font>

Problem with that is that there is no guarantee that people will turn up - this means that we could be a) turning away people who would turn up b) incurring expense.

I understand your concerns about sending money to someone you don't know, but we are talking about £10 for members (which you can do by postal order) - not really a 'fortune'. The committee have taken on the risk of incurring over £2000 liability here with no guarantee about how much of it we will get back.

Nevertheless, we'll see how well subscribed we are by about 22nd August; if there are still places available, we will work out something.

Martin

Guys,

It may be a little inconvenient to pay by cheque or postal order, but its not beyond anyone here (I hope); but c'mon this is irelandoffline - not amazon.com.

Looking forward to the seminar Martin, especially with it being in the Conrad - IOffL is realy moving up in the world wink.gif

• Advertisement

Just a quick admin suggestion...

If we get a list of all registered members who have paid and stated they are coming maybe we could print off name tags for ease of identification @ the seminar- When I say name I mean their boards ID! I think that was a problem @ the Mercer.
    What do you think!?

Otherwise, all seems set fair for a brill day!

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ha, catch me wearing a name tag...

Anyway, a quick question - I'll be buying a few tickets, and I'll also be making a small donation. What about a receipt?

[Also, doesn't emailing the tickets out make it susceptible to fraud? Well, worse fruad.]

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hmmm:
    Originally posted by o_donnel_abu:

Are you sure Martin?
    </font>

According to PayPal site (and I set up personal account to check this)...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    How do receive payments?
    Before you may receive money, you must add a credit card and bank account. PayPal will always accept U.S. bank accounts from our International members. If you live in Australia, France, Canada, Germany, New Zealand, the Netherlands or the United Kingdom, you may also register your local bank account with PayPal.
    </font>
    If I'm reading this right, as Ireland isn't on list of countries for checking account, we would have to have IrelandOffline credit card or else credit it to someone's personal credit card...don't think we want to go down that route smile.gif

Martin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    Ha, catch me wearing a name tag...

Anyway, a quick question - I'll be buying a few tickets, and I'll also be making a small donation. What about a receipt?

[Also, doesn't emailing the tickets out make it susceptible to fraud? Well, worse fruad.]

adam
    </font>

No problem with receipt, either by email or land mail - state which you want.

Fraud? Afraid someone might get Gladiator's ticket and impersonate him?

(Only joking, Gladiator smile.gif)

Martin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    we could print off name tags for ease of identification @ the seminar- When I say name I mean their boards ID! </font>
    We intend to have tags for committee and invited guests - to cut down work a bit, I think we'll have blank ones at registration so that people can write their name, board name or both smile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Otherwise, all seems set fair for a brill day!</font>

Have to agree - not a bad line up for a group who didn't exist 3 months ago smile.gif

Martin

This is our single most important event to date. We want the tickets to be as scarce as those for U2 at Slane!

Martin
    </font>

yeah .. let TicketMaster handle sales - 200 tickets'll walk out the back door, the other 20 or so sold nationwide in "record time" wink.gif

*edit*

[This message has been edited by Cr8or (edited 12-08-2001).]

Personally I can't see any problem with seding a Banker's Draft or a Postal Order. Mine will be in the post to-morrow. The idea of a receipt always crops up, but realistically, the venue has to be paid for and it is booked in the committees name. That being the case I cannot see the oportunity for any mis-dealings. I also hope that we have a FULL house.

Mick.

No problem with receipt, either by email or land mail - state which you want.</font>

Cheers. It's all deductable... smile.gif

By the way, I presume I don't need to point out that a detailed record should be kept of interest in the seminar. If you get the demand I expect that is... if you don't, you must destroy it at all costs... wink.gif

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by obewan:
    Personally I can't see any problem with seding a Banker's Draft or a Postal Order. Mine will be in the post to-morrow
    Mick.
    </font>

Because some of us are lazy b*****ds roight ;P And I can't remember the last time I ever posted anything, what's a post box look like these days.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lemming:
    let TicketMaster handle sales - 200 tickets'll walk out the back door, the other 20 or so sold nationwide in "record time" wink.gif</font>

I can see Dave Fanning putting two tickets up for grabs to the 5th person who can answer "who owns all land lines in Ireland?"
    LOL...actually would that work?...imagine the publicity.

Name tags i reckon are a good idea altho going by some of the names on the boards i can see why a few ppl would be against them!

Hope to see y'all there tho and the lineup is impressive...not as good as witness but impressive all the same...hehe

Farls

Tell me is ioffl a registered as a non profit organisation, it just i hate to see you guys gettign taxed on that £2000 (probably more) you will raise,

Ive no problem with paying the £10 its just i simply dont like paying by check or draft or anything tracable, and even if i did id dont have a post office account and i dont have a checking account.

id like it if you could work something out for me around that the data if theres places cause i hate to miss it.

And finaly now that we have a time and place sorted, maybe you should take dev up on his offer of free addvertising

and since nobody else have posted it
    i take it thats its this room

http://www.conrad-international.ie/conferences.html

conferences3.jpg
    i think you might get more then 220 peple in there, anywho it should be good

This is what the conrad looks like aboutpic1.jpg

how to get there,
    map.jpg

bloody south side mad.gifbiggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Tell me is ioffl a registered as a non profit organisation, it just i hate to see you guys gettign taxed on that £2000 (probably more) you will raise,

</font>

If we're not already registered as a non-profit org. or something along those lines, then you can rest assured someone is working on it. All the money we raise, by the way, will definitely be used up immediately in the costs involved in producing such a seminar. The costs of the hotel facilities themselves are the biggest part.

Ive no problem with paying the £10 its just i simply dont like paying by check or draft or anything tracable, and even if i did id dont have a post office account and i dont have a checking account.

</font>

"anything traceable"? What is it that you're worried about? ... As far as I recall, a postal order isn't traceable to anyone anyway - you just pop into the post office (no 'account' needed) hand them a tenner and they give you the postal order for £10 back. I could be wrong.

id like it if you could work something out for me around that the data if theres places cause i hate to miss it.

</font>

I don't know if there'll be such allowances made but I'm sure Martin will let you know.

And finaly now that we have a time and place sorted, maybe you should take dev up on his offer of free addvertising
    </font>

I hadn't heard of Devore making such an offer but if he has done, we'll certainly take it up! I'll have an announcement put into the news section of our web site and a banner ad made for it soon.

BTW: Looks brilliantly organised, Martin- WELL DONE.

(Niall - Web Site Manager and Committee Member)

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

yea he said it while you were away, you see it good to have me around to remember these things, and ill see what i can do about payment,

Tell me is ioffl a registered as a non profit organisation, it just i hate to see you guys gettign taxed on that £2000 (probably more) you will raise </font>
    We haven't registered as an organisation. There's a lot of hassle and cost in doing that - registering as a company, having do do company returns, etc.

This is the only fund raising we are likely to be doing - if we end up with excess funds when IOFFL 'winds up' then the money will be given to an agreed charity.

The bank account has been set up in the name of IrelandOffline at the address of our treasurer with 2 signatures required for cheques/withdrawals. We have been told that we run a *slight* risk of our treasurer incurring a tax liability but even if that happened it would be very small, less than cost of setting up a company.

If a number of people have reservations about sending money to us, we could maybe work out something like allowing cheques to be made out to Conrad Hotel - we wouldn't want this in all cases though, as there may be some other expenses such as hire of PA equipment.

Please remember that we are all doing this on a part-time, voluntary basis so we are trying to keep things as simple as possible smile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">simply dont like paying by check or draft or anything tracable</font>
    I take it that you never buy online or mail order?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">id like it if you could work something out for me around that the data if theres places cause i hate to miss it.</font>
    As I said in earlier post, we will do this if places are still available.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And finaly now that we have a time and place sorted, maybe you should take dev up on his offer of free addvertising</font>
    All advertising is more than welcome!!

Martin

LMAO. Here was I thinking you're just an annoying little man, and you're a gen-yew-ine secret agent all the time. Well played Gladiator!

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:

LMAO. Here was I thinking you're just an annoying little man, and you're a gen-yew-ine secret agent all the time. Well played Gladiator!
    </font>

Maybe he's just worried that you'll find out who he is and kick the sh|t out of him like you threatened...

Let's go easy on Gladiator on this guys - he's probably voicing concerns that other people have smile.gif

Martin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

ill see what i can do about payment,

</font>

Try a postal order. I don't think they're "traceable".
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hudson806:
    Maybe he's just worried that you'll find out who he is and kick the sh|t out of him like you threatened...</font>

I don't recall Adam threatening that...

I know you're probably kidding, but in case Gladiator is worried, I must say that I seriously doubt anybody intends to kick the shit out of him based on anything he's said here, - least of all me.

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

Advertisement