Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEMINAR DETAILS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i doubt there be any kicking of anybody at this event as my name badge will say john doe biggrin.gif edit then you just attack the just named john doe frown.gif

And sorry dahamsta but i have my own reasons of wanting to pay in cash which are none of your bussiness, so reframe from your comments

o_donnel_abu i buy online all the time, but not with my credit card.

listen i dont want to make a big deal out of any of this, just i dont have a checking account which would wake it difficult to pay, the postal order option will probably solve that problem, ill check into it, my personal account dealing are very off topic, and not for discussion on this board so i ask that this subject be dropped

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 13-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    and since nobody else have posted it
    i take it thats its this room

i think you might get more then 220 peple in there, anywho it should be good
    </font>
    Thx for images - show's we're a 'class act' smile.gif

The hotel say they can take up to 270 but 250 is better.

Invited guests so far are:

Speakers: 4 + probably someone with them

All the people we have met with - ODTR 4, ESAT 3, Eircom 4

Hope to get representatives from UTVInternet, NTL and Chorus (to participate from audience, not give presentation) - say 3-6

Media - say 6

Committee 9

About 30 - 40 in total.

Anyone any suggestions on other people we should specifically invite?

Martin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't recall Adam threatening that...

You were away Bard, I did. On the basis of him not behaving himself at the time, that is. Sorry for stirring it up in this thread by the way, it was just irresistable. The pretentious paranoia was splitting my sides and the temptation was killing me. I admit it, I'm weak.

adam

my personal account dealing are very off topic, and not for discussion on this board so i ask that this subject be dropped</font>

I've dealt with this at some length, Gladiator, because I'm sure that there may be other people out there who have same concerns but aren't prepared to voice them publicly.

Martin

Listen we both know theres more chance of adsl being released tomorrow then you attacking me, especialy since you have no idea of how big/small weak/strong i am, when you made the treats i paid no attention to them.

as for taken the **** about my corcerns, its nice to see people taken the time to show other people abit of tolerence, and not undermining any view we dont agrea with.

If i didnt want to pay by check because the aliens orbiting earth would read my tought through the check book pen, it would be of no bussiness of yours. So again reframe from commenting.

I really hope noone fro meircon or the dtr see this topic. i really wish now that id voiced these concerns over email, as its care some arnt adult enough to accept others views

Now back on topic, what type of media will be There, press/tv. i think we should write of to all the websites that mentioned our public meating with the details, for no other reason then to avoid them publishign the wrong details again. and maybe we could even get it in the print versions of afew papers

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o_donnel_abu:
    I've dealt with this at some length, Gladiator, because I'm sure that there may be other people out there who have same concerns but aren't prepared to voice them publicly.

Martin

</font>
    fair enough and ive no problem with that, this is why the boards here, so people can voice opinions on the topic at hand in order to help other, i just feel they should be able to do it without fear of getting the **** taken out of them, its allmost like being bullied by some members, and its counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

fair enough and ive no problem with that, this is why the boards here, so people can voice opinions on the topic at hand in order to help other, i just feel they should be able to do it without fear of getting the **** taken out of them, its allmost like being bullied by some members, and its counter productive.
    </font>

Gladiator- you should know that this online forum and the live ("in real life") seminar are two very different beasts, and we certainly won't stand for bullying of any form at the seminar. You can, of course, feel free to express your opinions there without the fear of someone taking the piss. You needn't worry about remaining anonymous at it- in fact I'd rather you didn't, to be honest, and made yourself and your opinions known, as everyone's opinion is valuable.

By the way, I agree with you that this is no place to discuss your personal finances or accounts. Pay whatever way you will/can - it's just well advised that you pay in advance to secure a place - that's why I suggested the Postal Order option.

Cheers,

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 13-08-2001).]

well ive afew questions to ask of the odtr and eircom so ill have to be there,

im sure you will know we from the minute i open my mouth, smile.gif

If i didnt want to pay by check because the aliens orbiting earth would read my tought through the check book pen, it would be of no bussiness of yours. So again reframe from commenting.</font>

As a privacy advocate, I think you bring up a valid point. And just to allay any other fears some folks might have, the names of people attending WILL NOT be made public, nor will any names be released without those people's prior permission. I will fight tooth and nail for this, and I can almost guarantee that the committee would agree with me on this.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Now back on topic, what type of media will be There, press/tv. i think we should write of to all the websites that mentioned our public meating with the details, for no other reason then to avoid them publishign the wrong details again. and maybe we could even get it in the print versions of afew papers
    </font>

I'm in the process of writing the press release for it now, and sending it out to the media list that I have gathered over the months (and thanks to all for any, er, suggestions). As soon as I send it out, I'll let everyone know, and then you can start emailing press places that you want to cover it. Once they get a couple emails/phone calls from "interested parties", they'll sit up and notice more.

If anyone has any suggestions for places they think I've missed (trust me, I've been trying to contact the Register for a while with no replies!), please email me as we're in the US with a family medical situation and I'm working on stuff from here.

E
    elana@zen.org

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o_donnel_abu:
    Anyone any suggestions on other people we should specifically invite?
    </font>

Update - Scott Taunton, MD of UTVInternet has agreed to attend

Martin

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Heh, that was quick. Nice one Martin.

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    Heh, that was quick. Nice one Martin.

adam
    </font>

Just another example of the impact IOFFL is making smile.gif

Martin

nice work ekehoe, you might try emailign the guys at the reg he write the articles instead of them,

allso nice work o_donnel_abu on utv, id be extremely interested in hearign hw they plan to release their flat rate service here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

well ive afew questions to ask of the odtr and eircom so ill have to be there,

im sure you will know we from the minute i open my mouth, smile.gif
    </font>

To the best of my knowledge (Martin can confirm this I'm sure), it's going to be a properly structured Q&A session, with few (or no) questions that are not pre-submitted.

With this in mind, be sure to submit these questions in advance as per part 2 of Martin's post above (or see here) or you may not get to ask them at all.

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 13-08-2001).]

I see on the agenda "OLO's Perspective- Esat Rep. TBC etc."-

Will there be any other OLO's there? Apart from UTV internet.
    I'd be interested to hear what their plans are, given the impending liberalisation of the market. You never know, these are the ppl we may be using in a couple of years after we've dumped eircom & esat!!

But seriously, even if they're not going to sit on the panel we should @ least ensure they attend. ie-Chorus, NTL etc. possibly any Satelite Providers ??

[PS Thx for replying to my e-mail Martin - I'm working on it wink.gif ]

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    ...it's going to be a properly structured Q&A session, with few (or no) questions that are not pre-submitted....

</font>

I assume the parties addressed (e.g Eircom, Esat, UTV, etc.) will receive those questions beforehand. They also know that there is only one hour scheduled for Q&A.
    We should ask them not to waste our time with lots of political gobbledigooo.
    We want concise answers - and most important: Quick solutions.
    Maybe another good idea would be to restrict the talking time for the Q&A session to a set time - maybe 15 minutes - for each party involved.
    With that time-restriction we could also avoid that one party is 'stealing' the time from the other parties to try to run the show....

[This message has been edited by disConnected (edited 14-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    Will there be any other OLO's there? Apart from UTV internet.
    I'd be interested to hear ...
    </font>
    We're trying to get Chorus and NTL there. They won't be on panel but will be able to contribute to Q&A from audience.

Martin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by disConnected:
    I assume the parties addressed (e.g Eircom, Esat, UTV, etc.) will receive those questions beforehand. </font>

They will NOT know the questions beforehand - and will have to deal with them as they come smile.gif

It will be the job of the panel chairman to make sure that no-one 'hogs' the debate smile.gif

Please note also that UTVInternet will not be on the panel but they will be able to contribute from the audience.

Martin

question, i sumitte a question, how do you know its my question on the day, do i have to wear a name badge?

question, i sumitte a question, how do you know its my question on the day, do i have to wear a name badge?</font>

We will select about 6 questions (plus 'reserves') on the day.

During coffee break, we will ask people to identify themselves and show us where they are in audience so that we can send microphone to them to ask the question.

Martin

• Advertisement

Good, ill start writing up mine tomorrow, and submit it, i think you will like what i have to ask

ive an idea again, i was thinking while i did up my question that, in the dail all questions are answered weather or not they are raised by writen reply, we could get all the questions together, filter out the one which are basically the same and give they to the rep their directed at, that way even thought the questions not raised at the seminar, the guy asking them still gets an answer. what do you think.

Anywho i have my question who do i send it off to, and i think ill get a postal order on friday, he do i wake it payable to and were do i mail it. ill include my email address.

we could get all the questions together, filter out the one which are basically the same </font>
    That's basically the way it will work, if a number of people submit a similar question, we will select one of them to ask it, perhaps rewording it slightly to cover things raised by other people.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Anywho i have my question who do i send it off to, and i think ill get a postal order on friday, he do i wake it payable to and were do i mail it. ill include my email address.</font>
    Questions to elana@zen.org

Postal order made payable to IrelandOffline, send to:

David Long
    Vice Chairman, IrelandOffline
    20 Westbourne Road
    Terenure
    Dublin 6W

Please do include your email address which will be kept strictly private by IrelandOffline.

Martin

i need abite of info, i just got a postal order (£10.80 for a £10 order)
    i need a name to make it payable to (not ioffl)
    and the post office it will be cashed in,
    i can cross the order but then it need to be cashed into a post office or banck account in the name of the person i addressed it to

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 17-08-2001).]

i need a name to make it payable to (not ioffl)).]</font>

Why not ? (but use full name IrelandOffline)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    and the post office it will be cashed in</font>
    Leave blank - it will be paid into bank account, not Post office
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">i can cross the order but then it need to be cashed into a post office or banck account in the name of the person i addressed it to).]</font>
    No problem with this - crossing it is better for security - as long as it's made payable to IrelandOffline

Martin

hmm so when the cashier asks you, so sir this is your full name ioffl, got any id, sorry i cant cash this sir,

Just remind me, its been awhile, I cross a check/postal order by drawing to parallel lines across it and my initial in-between?

one question, how many people have confirmed they will attented allready

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 17-08-2001).]

hmm so when the cashier asks you, so sir this is your full name ioffl, got any id, sorry i cant cash this sir, )</font>

Just leave it blank. I just deposited a few postal orders where the "to" field was blank.
    one question, how many people have confirmed they will attented allready</font>

We'll provide an update on that in a few days time.

John
    IOFFL Treasurer

fair enough in that case ill just send off a blank postal order to that address posted and a note attached with my email address i dont have to leave a name do i ?

fair enough in that case ill just send off a blank postal order to that address posted and a note attached with my email address i dont have to leave a name do i ?</font>

If you don't want to leave your name that's fine as long as the email address you quote is the same as the one you're signed up to IOFFL with.

David (who is taking the bookings) is sorting out a system to email you some sort of receipt or a booking number so that we know you've already paid when you check in at the door.

• Advertisement

Good luck with the seminar but did you have to have such an early start ? 4.15pm is a bit early for many. I've sent my question to Elana Kehoe at elana@zen.org to put to Etain Doyle in case I can't make it and I think anyone who can't be there on the 29th should do likewise.

Listen to your critic's and doubters and if you still remain positive, confident and focused, Live Your Dreams ...

[This message has been edited by MOD018 (edited 18-08-2001).]

Advertisement