Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Sat Access, will Esat provide it ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

we talked in leant about this before, and it was decided allthough it better to wait and see, we probably wont get it due to the face its probably one way and it will need to use bt lines to upload,

also bt own esat they dont exactly run it as they do bt.
    dotn look on it as an irish version of bt, its not

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    we talked in leant about this before, and it was decided allthough it better to wait and see, we probably wont get it due to the face its probably one way and it will need to use bt lines to upload</font>

I don't mean to be rude, but if you had read the BTopenworld satellite web site in more detail, you would have noticed that it is a 2-way system.

As for the speed, I have copied and pasted the following from the BTopenworld web site:

"BTopenworld Satellite Broadband downloads at speeds up to ten times faster than dial-up service. Speeds will often reach 512 kbps with targeted peak time speeds in excess of 150 kbps. Max upload speed will be 153bps."

[This message has been edited by Urban Weigl (edited 18-08-2001).]

I sincerely hope thats 153kbps and not 153bps.... If it is 153bps, this is worse than Web-Sat.....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris_533976:
    I sincerely hope thats 153kbps and not 153bps.... If it is 153bps, this is worse than Web-Sat.....</font>

I think that Web Sat were quoting a 64k uplink. As far as I know, the service will not be available before September. The traffic for the IEP 150 per month charge is supposed to be about 500 MB down and 46 MB up per month. This does not make commerical sense as a leased line may prove to be a cheaper option. The main selling point of satellite is that it can deliver data faster than a dialup. However if the sub only covers less than a CD worth of traffic per month then it is a totally useless option.

Web-sat is hopping off the Eutelsat at 7E. A number of other satellite internet services use that bird as well.

The BT option is supposed to be only available in NI and Scotland. I haven't seen any prices for the traffic levels yet.

At the moment, I am doing some research on satellite internet and I'll probably post the findings on HackWatch in the next few weeks.

Regards...jmcc

actually i did but i was talking the cher about it and he seemed to think that you would still need a bt line

• Advertisement

Hi.

1. ESAT will not launch this product according to my sources in their commercial department.

They are trying to make sure it will not even be advertised on UTV/C4 bacause it would make a mess of their pricing scheme if they went near this product OR if their customers heard about it.

2. It is possible to get a 'mate' in the north to get it in and then bring it down south and install it there, the return leg is an uplink not a fone line. The mate will have to pay for it while you pay them.

3. Tiscali have no plans to launch in Ireland, other than thru the BT product in NI

Could the legendary JMCC comment on the sat footprint and whether it is as 'good' in Ireland as in the Highlands of Scotland?

M

[This message has been edited by Muck (edited 20-08-2001).]

See the following link:
    http://web-sat.com/new_brochure3.gif
    for a picture of the Web-Sat footprint under the Eutelsat W3 bird at 7E.

Ireland is nicely covered in the green section.

Coverage goes right out to Iceland and Greenland so your holiday home on the Skelligs are OK too!

Linux will win!

Advertisement