Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAN Games

Options
  • 10-06-2001 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Have a home LAN Connection (used for gaming)
    With up to 8 players using 100 base hub

Also have network card installed for cable modem

How do I get my LAN party to join another LAN game ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Moved to the games board

It is not a fairytail. It is truth

www.scifi-meshes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

This isn't easy nobby, for a start, if you've only one network card in your PC, you're can't connect to your hub and the cable modem at the same time (unless the cable modem can handle being connected to a hub, which I doubt unless it's a router as well as a cable modem). Anyway, what you'll need to do is:

Put two network cards into your machine. Connect one to your cable modem to establish a 'net connection. Connect the other to your hub. Set up windows to allow the computers attached to your hub to use your computer as the gateway using "internet connection sharing" (easier said than done in windows 98/ME wink.gif). Now your machine and the others on the network can access the 'net. If there's another LAN party happening elsewhere at the same time, they'll have to do the same thing. At this stage, you've got two LAN parties on the 'net, and they can each talk to the 'gateway' machine in either house (ie the machines with the two network cards).

Now here's the difficult bit - each gateway machine has two IP addresses, one IP address is bound to each network card. A 'real' internet IP is bound to the network card attached to the cable modem - this you get from NTL. The IP address attached to the second network card is a fake, or internal IP address. People usually use 192.168.1.* for this - all of the computers on the internal networks at each LAN party (all the computers attached to each hub) have fake IPs. The job of the gateway machines (running "Internet connection sharing" or something similar in windows) is to use its one real IP address to essentially 'do the talking' for all the machines with fake IPs on the network, so they can get 'net access.

When you run a game server, you need to make sure it 'binds' to the right network card. When a server starts up, it looks for an 'interface' to communicate using. Your gateway will have two - the 'real' one connected to the outside world, and the 'fake' one connected to the hub - if the game server picks the 'fake' one, all the people in your house will be able to play, but your friends in the other house won't see it. If it connects to the 'real' one, you should be ok - performance over the 'net will suffer though, it won't be anywhere near as good as having everyone in the same house with the two hubs connected directly together with network cable via their uplink ports. All this 'connection sharing' stuff works fine in Win2k (any unix flavour you'd care to mention) - I've never tried it using win98/ME.

God that was rambling.. anyway, good luck. smile.gif

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nobby

Thanks for the very comprehensive feedback on my problem.

Will let you know if I can crack it
    This is much more information than others have provided.

Many others will have the same problems in our area and I am sure will be relieved at this straight forward non techie information

Will post this on my web site ( next project) when I do it and give acknolegments/ links to you and your board

Thanks Again
    Nobby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 demonbane

if you want to play lan games in limerick there is a new internet cafe opening that will have 8 systems to play games on lan or internet. if anyone is interested please give me a mail as I am starting a mailing list with info about this cafe and games available in this new place.
    mailto frank_fitzgerald@hotmail.com

Advertisement