Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No really, why not do it ourselves??

Options
  • 20-08-2001 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Lo all,
    some of you might remember my post i made a couple of months ago to this site, entitled 'Why don't we do it ourselves??'. Having taken all your points into consideration, I still do think that this may be the only option. Now to be honest with you Im starting to have my doubts wether Chorus, NTL or any of the other licenced operators will actually release broadband over here. They look at all the towns and cities in this country and they see that there may be no money to be made in releasing broadband. No one is willing to do anything in order to fulfill the demand for internet access especially now that they have seen what has happened over in the States. I do think we should look into building up a wireless based service, controlled by us. As internet users we all know what we want, and no one else can know better. Think about it. This campaign was started in late may this year, about 3 months ago. Now I want you all to think about how much money you have spent on phonebills since then. Imagine you got that money and invested it in a countrywide WAN or something like that, or even a local wan with your mates. I really think that this idea deserves some consideration, because all the other operators are acting the ****** at the moment, and they will be for a long time. I predict a country wide affordabe broadband internet solution will not be with us for about 8 years at least, the way things are going at the moment. Think about it smile.gif

Thanks for reading,
    Matt Finucane

North Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't think the situation is that desperate atm, my phone bills arn't that bad anyway, though they were better before I got kicked off the Esat nolimits service. Broadband for me could be just around the corner, so I'm gonna sit back and wait for the time being.

GavinJCD
    Member of team Jim

i remember putting some taught into http://www.boards.ie/community/Forum18/HTML/000049.html but the amount of money involved would be way to expensive....

I know it sounds bad, but I'd prefare to wait for dsl or flat-rate isdn.. Dont get me wrong, its a great idea, but the finance needed for a project like this is astronomical frown.gif

[This message has been edited by ando (edited 21-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ando:
    Dont get me wrong, its a great idea, but the finance needed for a project like this is astronomical frown.gif
    </font>

Dunno about that. If we could get about 50 people involved, it could be a very sensibly priced option. Plus, it would be a pretty neat toy! wink.gif

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 21-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GavinJCD:
    I don't think the situation is that desperate atm.

</font>

i believe me and about the rest of the country who know about broadband would beg to differ.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I second chernobyl's sentiment. Even though I requested HiSpeed Bonus and and Optimizer plan from Eircom last month, my phone bll went UP this month, to over £275. That's almost as much as a 64k leased.

<FRESH RANT / OFF TOPIC>
    And this isn't just down to overpricing either - the reason my bill went up is because the incompetent salesperson never actually added the Optimizer plan to my account. I also found out on Friday when both of my ISDN lines went down that Eircom have no emergency repairs over the weekend, and not only that, unless you want to pay for it. And this is for a BUSINESS account. I don't want to give them the cost of the line rental, I don't want to deal with them at all in fact. But because of Etain Doyle's continued inability to regulate Eircom, I have to.
    </FRESH RANT>

adam

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    I second chernobyl's sentiment. Even though I requested HiSpeed Bonus and and Optimizer plan from Eircom last month, my phone bll went UP this month, to over £275. That's almost as much as a 64k leased.

<FRESH RANT / OFF TOPIC>
    And this isn't just down to overpricing either - the reason my bill went up is because the incompetent salesperson never actually added the Optimizer plan to my account. I also found out on Friday when both of my ISDN lines went down that Eircom have no emergency repairs over the weekend, and not only that, unless you want to pay for it. And this is for a BUSINESS account. I don't want to give them the cost of the line rental, I don't want to deal with them at all in fact. But because of Etain Doyle's continued inability to regulate Eircom, I have to.
    </FRESH RANT>

adam
    </font>
    What is the Optimizer plan ?

I recently switched to ISDN and to be honest I am not happy about the costs involved.

What you are being charged is no where near the cost of a lease line. A few years ago I had an analogue 56K line and including ISP charges it was costing about £200 per week and this did not allow voice calls. Also the installation and set-up charges were close to £3000 (this did not include the modem ... the charged me £800 plus VAT for this)and I also had to pay six months in advance. After 12 months Eircom decided to double the rental for the lease line so I ran out of money.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matfinn:
    Lo all,
    some of you might remember my post i made a couple of months ago to this site, entitled 'Why don't we do it ourselves??'.
    Thanks for reading,
    Matt Finucane

North Dublin
    </font>

I certainly would be willing to give the matter further consideration.

I'd really like to see what comes out of this idea, but I still am very wary about the costs involved.

[This message has been edited by ando (edited 21-08-2001).]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What is the Optimizer plan ?

Go to the Eiroms website, and look for Services (I think it's in both the business and home users section, although I found it in business). Optimizer is a plan whereby you pay a fee for discounted prices - i.e. you have to meet a "target" on your bill. If your bill is predictable, it's probably worth looking at. I reckon the savings will be pretty negligible though.

I recently switched to ISDN and to be honest I am not happy about the costs involved.

There's also the "HiSpeed bonus" plan, but again, the savings are negligible. It costs about £1.50 and my discount was £6.50 last month. So all it saved me was a fiver, but at least it's one less fiver I have to give to those pr1cks.

What you are being charged is no where near the cost of a lease line.

Actually it is, but it depends on your definition really. I can get a 64k leased for about £300 a month, but that doesn't include the outlay for installation, and the cost of connecting to the ISP.

adam

Advertisement