Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus finally give Powernet a push

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sounds good if it comes to fruition. There was after all a lot of conditionals used "ifs & buts". The line of sight thing may restrict the availability for a lot of ppl.

Maybe you might know yourself Chernobyl, whats this Wireless LLU Like ??

Having said all this though, @ least there in the BallPark re: Pricing.... £40 smile.gif

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

unfortuatley i have no experience with wireless of this kind, DSL wont happen for me so if they upgrade kilkenny before tiscali/beam get a fixed pricing structure unlikely, then they will have my cash.

I hope they will remove the DL 3GB cap when its released nation-wide.
    Actually i thinks its a 3GB tranfer CAP, so no running your own server.
    frown.gif

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

unlikely they will remove it, but they do have a hard time keeping track of it, as far i know its most estimated by your time online

looks good, I might have a serious think about this if it becomes available here, as I heard its a great service for low latency (ping) , hence great for online gaming wink.gif

anybody would be a fool not to get it, 3 gigs is ****e yea but its better then eircon, were you can download as much as you want once you can pay for it

One note, this service will be limited to south dublin, last i heard they will transmit from black rock, but this wasnt convermed.
    its a kick in the head but its been known for awhile and is the only reason eircons rolling out ADSL

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 15-08-2001).]

• Advertisement

Any news on when Chorus will be available in Co. Mayo? Last year when I talked to a Chorus rep, he informed me that it would be avilable within 18 months. Well, 18 months isn't far off now, and no sign of any new developments thus far. Knowing many Irish companies who keep promising a lot, but never actually deliver, I'm certainly not holding my breath. :/

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    Sounds good if it comes to fruition. There was after all a lot of conditionals used "ifs & buts". The line of sight thing may restrict the availability for a lot of ppl.

</font>

A few months I contacted them regarding this service and there were lots of problems. I live in Dublin 1 and the line-of-sight is a major problem (in my case a show-stopper) and as mentioned on another thread by someone else there is always the danger (especially in Dublin 1 or 2) of the line-of-sight been blocked. Also they capped the volume at a fairly low level (3G) with an additional charge per 2Megs ... unfortunately I dumped the information supplied and cannot remember the exact details but as far as I remember it worked out to be fairly expensive.

[This message has been edited by infomat (edited 15-08-2001).]

To be pesimistic for a minute. They plan to 'hopefully' roll out the service within the next three months in dublin and then 'hopefully' over the rest of the country gradually. Werent the rollouts of PN in Cork and Dublin spose to be happening at the same time? Dublin (at least a small bit of dublin) has NTL. Cork have nothing. Come on Chorus come to cork first.

Given a couple of wild guesses - They will take months and months to setup all the base stations in Dublin city and county. Then we have the teething problems (theres bound to be problems - its chorus after all). Then after everything is done and sorted in Dub the board of directors or whoever is pulling the strings at chorus sit down and have months and months of meetings and discussions about expanding to cork. Finally when the work of building base stations does start in Cork we'll all be too old to care about the internet and be more interested in comfy slippers and a warm cardigan.

chernobly - last I was told by a chorus tech was that the 3gig limit was download only. If indeed it is upload aswell then they are just trying to screw us all over.

This is all presuming that ure within a certain distance and have a line of sight to a base station.

Ahh its nice to have a rant...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I called them the other day, and apparently they'll be offering Powernet in the Wicklow Town area before christmas. Anyone else in this area on the boards?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">chernobly - last I was told by a chorus tech was that the 3gig limit was download only. If indeed it is upload aswell then they are just trying to screw us all over.</font>

If it's download only, then you could easily run an FTP or HTTP server off of it, as all (most of anyway) heavy transfer would be outband traffic. SO it would be stupid to just cap downstream data, but it might be the sort of stupid thing they would do (given it's Ireland and the level of technicaly prowess usually displayed and acted with by Irish "tech" companies).

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by infomat:
    unfortunately I dumped the information supplied and cannot remember the exact details but as far as I remember it worked out to be fairly expensive.

B]</font>

I found this on my HD that i got in a e-mail from them about four months back or so.

Chorus PowerNet
    Wireless Service Pricing Structure

Residential

High speed modem Installation IRP 150.00 inc. VAT
    Monthly Rental IRP 40.00 inc. VAT
    Monthly Flat rate Download limit 3Gb
    Volume charge above limit 2p per MB

Subject to a min. twelve month contract

Option of self install or using a recommended IT install company
    Payable directly to the authorised IT install company

Software Install IRP 48.00 inc. VAT
    Software/ Ethernet card Install IRP 99.00 inc. VAT (to include a specified d-link ethernet card)
    Software/ USB to Ethernet adapter IRP TBA

NB Above amounts are payable COD directly to authorized install partner

Business Services

High speed modem installation IRP 299.00 exc. VAT

Single PC connection
    Monthly rental IRP 79.00 exc. VAT
    Monthly Flat rate Download limit 6Gb
    Volume charge above limit 2p per MB

Network LAN connection

Customer must have less than 20 computers on the network.

Zyxel 312 Broadband IP router TBA
    Monthly rental IRP 150.00 exc. VAT
    Flat rate download limit 10Gb
    Volume charge above limit 1p per MB

Subject to a min. twelve-month contract

Seeing as this is Ireland, I think the prices Chorus are charging are quite reasonable. And while the 3 GB transfer limit is somewhat low, I could live with it.

The only problem is that if you don't live in Limerick or Dublin, there is no way you can receive the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:

I hope they will remove the DL 3GB cap when its released nation-wide.
    Actually i thinks its a 3GB tranfer CAP, so no running your own server.
    </font>

Indeed it is - 3 gigs total traffic, with traffic between chorus customers counted as well (bit of a bummer that)

Dont forget that there is a possible (upto) 29% price increase on the cards and it will probably affect the powernet service as well. Also they seem to be incredably slow at installing it. I was told 3 to 4 weeks of a backlog but I suspect it is much greater than that. I'm still waiting for them to install my phone line since May.

Here is a reply i recived to a question on the setup and download cap a few months ago...

Hi Ken,

An RJ45 connection will be suitable. The fee for the
    software is to be tendered to a PC company. This
    is a completely separate contract between the customer and
    the PC company separate from Chorus.

Since the 1st of March 2001, it has been made compulsory for
    a PC company to install the software.
    These fees are being charged by the PC company only.

The only limit on Powernet will be 3GB per month Download
    limit. There is no limit on the uploading.
    If you go over the 3GB download limit, you will have to
    tender a volume charge of 2p per MB there after.

Kind regards,

Liza.

Notice how they say there is no upload limit... I bet they never thought of people using it the way you guys are suggesting.

Ours is not to reason why!!

Here is a reply I got from Chorus a couple of months ago.

The only limit on Powernet will be 3GB per month Download
    limit. There is no limit on the uploading.
    If you go over the 3GB download limit, you will have to
    tender a volume charge of 2p per MB there after.

Kind regards,

Liza.

Originally posted by Gladiator:
    anybody would be a fool not to get it, 3 gigs is ****e yea but its better then eircon, were you can download as much as you want once you can pay for it

One note, this service will be limited to south dublin, last i heard they will transmit from black rock, but this wasnt convermed.
    its a kick in the head but its been known for awhile and is the only reason eircons rolling out ADSL

That sucks, I live in Blackrock, but that 3GB limit is not good, that's an average of 100 megs a day, and I sometimes break that limit with my 56K. I don't think I'll be touching that, ADSL is what I'm really looking at atm, provided I can get a decent speed for a decent price, and host a server. It sucks having 2 serious computers with loads of RAM and big harddrives, and being stuck with 56K.

GavinJCD
    Member of team Jim

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GavinJCD:
    [BOne note, this service will be limited to south dublin, [/B]</font>

nope,kilkenny is to get it almost straight after dublin, well..im told so, but i will also blindly believe so.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

Sorry that was part of my quote

GavinJCD
    Member of team Jim

and that was perfectly clear.
    smile.gif

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Advertisement

ah jeez, this is taking forever.... I was told in February that I would have Powernet by June/July... Now I've heard that they still have not even launched in S.Dublin ?

I think Chorus have missed their opportunity of taking a lot of customers off eircom

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ando:
    ah jeez, this is taking forever.... I was told in February that I would have Powernet by June/July... </font>

Ando, if it's any consolation, I'm in Limerick where it IS available! I contacted them first week of June and I'm STILL waiting for a contract from them!!!

Mike

Waiting waiting waiting, yes were all waiting for chorus to waddle their arses into the present and pull the finger out. Pretty poor form being on the doorstep of the trial and still having to wait for a connection tho frown.gif

I'm starting to think that by the time broadband arrives nationwide I'll have saved enough money to pay for my car insurance (if u dont get it, I'm a 20 year old male so thats how much my insurance costs). Course by then I'll be old and toothless with hair sprouting out my ears and all those chorus execs will be DEAD!!! AAAAhahahahahah see you in hell chorus boys! </psychosis over>

Advertisement