Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ODTR looking for feedback on Chorus price hike

Options
  • 21-08-2001 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

The ODTR have released a document titled ODTR 01/63: Chrous Price Increase Application for Cable/MMDS Licensed Areas ( www.odtr.ie/docs/odtr0163.doc ) The add reads ....

This is a consultation paper on a price increase application made by Chorus for its basic television service. The consent of the Director is required before prices can be increased.

Before making a decision on the application, the Director wishes to take into consideration views and alternatives, which interested parties might have.

The document itself covers in detail projected "Revised" digital roll out schedules and costs, a network upgrade program, and the code of conduct adopted by Chorus for addressing customer complaints!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It should be pointed out that unless there are strong objections to the price increase, it's quite likely that the Regulator will decide to allow them. It should also be pointed out that there is a distinct advantage to the ODTR if the price increase is allowed, in that the local monopolies (in-platform exclusivity) held by Chorus would be shortened by two years, to March 2002.

Although this is of course a terrible obstruction to competition in the marketplace that should never have been included in the original licences, changing the licences at this stage would have little if any affect, as it has been proved that Chorus' only real competitor, NTL, has no real interest in investing in the market. I'm very doubtful that the shortening of in-platform exclusivity will encourage NTL to compete with Chorus at this stage in the markets development.

So the only real factor that applies in this extraordinary arrangement is Chorus' assertion that they will improve service levels, and having been a Chorus customer since Cork Communications, I simply don't believe that. Nothing has changed, except the *style* of bad service. I also don't believe that the security measures the Regulator wants to introduce to ensure Chorus are "keeping up their end of the bargain" are stringent enough.

In other words, I don't think Chorus should be allowed raise their prices, and I would encourage as many Chorus customers as possible to respond negatively to the Consultation Paper. Responses don't have to be pages long - just explain your circumstances and experiences of dealing with Chorus and why you object in as clear language as you can.

adam

Isn't that a coincidence - NTL have applied for a price increase now too!

[Note: Both of the URL's below are currently throwing 404's. They should resolve when the ODTR webmaster remembers to put them on the webserver.]

NTL seeking price increases for basic television services - ODTR to Consult

ntl’s Price Increase Application for Cable Licensed Areas - Consultation Paper

Dear Etain,

Can you say cartel?

Love,
    adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 21-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hmm.. digital services by September 2001 in Leixlip, Finglas, Tallaght, Ballyfermot, Castleknock, St. Helen's, Clondalkin, Clonsilla, Santry, Lucan, Navan Road, Coolock, Baldoyle and City Centre?

If only "digital" included internet

Nice story from the Examiner here

Right, Can anyone give an email address that will go straight to the ODTR Director (and her name) So that we can complain about these obscene proposed charge increases.

Thanks

Ours is not to reason why!!

• Advertisement

This sounds like turkeys voting for Christmas smile.gif

What does Miss Doyle think the response from the public is goin to be to a price hike.??

Lets just save her the time & effort of collecting, processing, analysing & reporting this, by simple saying.....

NO

[Theres my bit for increasing the productivy in the ODTR]

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fergus:
    Hmm.. digital services by September 2001 in Leixlip, Finglas, Tallaght, Ballyfermot, Castleknock, St. Helen's, Clondalkin, Clonsilla, Santry, Lucan, Navan Road, Coolock, Baldoyle and City Centre?

</font>

I live in Dublin 1 (Northside) so it would appear that I will be getting some sort of Digital Service by the end of September. I will believe it when I see it.

I wonder how much this service will cost?

Unfortunately, while I must admit that I am interested in subscribing, this more or less confirms my belief that I will not have Internet access via NTL within 3 years (possibly never).

Why could they not have offered us this one way Digital service before now (ie a year ago) when they knew that they would not be in a position to offer the interactive service for at least three years?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fergus:

</font>

I live in Dublin 1 (Northside) so it would appear that I will be getting some sort of Digital Service by the end of September. I will believe it when I see it.

I wonder how much this service will cost?

Unfortunately, while I must admit that I am interested in subscribing, this more or less confirms my belief that I will not have Internet access via NTL within 3 years (possibly never).

Why could they not have offered us this one way Digital service before now (ie a year ago) when they knew that they would not be in a position to offer the interactive service for at least three years?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Why could they not have offered us this one way Digital service before now (ie a year ago) when they knew that they would not be in a position to offer the interactive service for at least three years?</font>

Because Chorus and NTL have a virtually state-sponsored duopoly initiated by the Telecommunications Regulator's misguided decision to introduce local monopolies in the cable television market.

Or, in English: Because they could.

adam

I think its time to go sky at the moment i have a 25ft pole on my house simply to get the signal(skys dinky dish would look better) add to this i only went with chorus because i live right under there limerick transmitter and reasoned that i would be able to take advantage of the powernet and phone service (desperate attempt to get away from eircon)But you guessed it they have to transmitter pointing at limerick and not in my direction so i cant get powernet and they have no plans in the near future to let those in rural areas who have little chance of an alternative of having this service add to this all the channels disapearing a price rise and general BS coming from them. Sky will be getting my wonga as soon as pos as for eircon my isdn is getting removed as i got a bill for £156 for one months usage £60 of this was vat and charges.Screw em all at least with TV we have an option.

Stone

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    Because Chorus and NTL have a virtually state-sponsored duopoly initiated by the Telecommunications Regulator's misguided decision to introduce local monopolies in the cable television market.

Or, in English: Because they could.

adam
    </font>
    They are not a duopoly. This implies two companies competing with each other. They are simply two separate monopolies.

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 24-08-2001).]

Sorry, I meant to say cartel.

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stonemason:
    I think its time to go sky

Stone
    </font>

Hang on a little bit longer as Sky will be offering a much improved set top unit (with two tuners and hard disk recording) later this year.

Advertisement