Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Austrailians Solve Broadband Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    http://it.mycareer.com.au/news/2001/06/26/FFX7QSS4DOC.html
    sounds like a great idea since the goverment owns 5 foot either side of the rail way,
    its a shame that the irish rail service is in such bad order
    </font>

If memory serves me correctly, ESAT did the same here. They ran cable alongside the railway tracks. I know that here in Limerick, they ran a cable from their Digifone base about 3-4 miles to the nearest railway line.

Mike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think you're right, but wasn't there a serious whoopsie involved? Something to do with planning, or a screw up while they were laying it or summat? I think I remember them having to rip some of it back out again...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Delphi91:
    If memory serves me correctly, ESAT did the same here. They ran cable alongside the railway tracks. I know that here in Limerick, they ran a cable from their Digifone base about 3-4 miles to the nearest railway line.

Mike

</font>

In fact CIE has over 900km of it's own dark fiber laying parallel to the cable it laid for ESAT.

Furthermore, it is entitled to use at least 4 pairs of ESAT's fiber in any circumstance.

It also has a shed load of equipment needed to 'light' the fiber sitting in a warehouse in Inchicore.

http://scripts.ireland.com/search/highlight.plx?TextRes=cie%20and%20lillington&Path=/newspaper/finance/2001/0302/fin30.htm

According to this article, even CIE executives believe there is real commercial potential in their fiber (already in the ground)....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

only 2% of ireland's bandwidth is actually being used, lots of big lines, the problem is in the local loop, run by eircom, which is using aging equipment, which is prone to failure, esat offered to put in new equipment for free, eircom refused it

Advertisement