Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some "good" news about ADSL - NOT!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"We have major concerns over any delays in rolling out our DSL product"</font>

hmm, do you smell something... hmm, yes.. I think I can smell some bu11**** ... tongue.gif

Seriously though, it looks to me as if Eircom are trying their best to sqeeze out their competition (esat) from the adsl market with this little trick. If the ODTR do let eircom go ahead and introduce adsl on the 28th without resolving the pricing issue for other OLO's first, then Eircom would of got exactly what they would of wanted... They will be the only company in ireland to offer adsl, since the pricing would still be not complete for other OLO's, hence, Eircom get a 2/3 month lead on the competition..

All this leads me to believe that the rumoured wholesale price of £100 and a possible retail price of £175 may have been correct.

Eircom would have a 1-3 month lead on the esat for adsl anyway.
    they will never be allowed to release it without a wholesale product,

Note this doesnt stop eircom working on the exchanges, and maybe we could see a dublin wide launch instead of just afew exchanges,
    but something tells me they wont do that

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by infomat:
    All this leads me to believe that the rumoured wholesale price of £100 and a possible retail price of £175 may have been correct.
    </font>

Which is odd, 'cos in a previous Irish Times article published just before ADSL trials began, the following is reported:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...An Eircom decision to delay or cancel its planned ADSL investment would have serious repercussions. Eircom's proposed costs to enable other operators to access its local network - euro32.50 (£25.60) line rental per month and #484 for connection - are among the highest in the world. Other operators need such access to provide their own ADSL services...</font>

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't there a "bit" of a difference in price?

Mike

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    Eircom would have a 1-3 month lead on the esat for adsl anyway.
    they will never be allowed to release it without a wholesale product,

Note this doesnt stop eircom working on the exchanges, and maybe we could see a dublin wide launch instead of just afew exchanges,
    but something tells me they wont do that
    </font>

You are correct about them not being able to go ahead unless they are offering a wholesale product. Your comments regarding working on the exchanges is a good one.

Question? Does anyone know any way of finding out the prices rejected by the Regulator

• Advertisement

Eircom give their pricing proposal to the regulator 9 weeks late then moan:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    "We understand the regulator is looking for further information but we haven't received the details of that yet," said an Eircom spokeswoman.

"We have major concerns over any delays in rolling out our DSL product. We would ask why did it take the regulator over a month to come back for further information when we first submitted our pricing on July 20th."

</font>

*insert incredably long and 18's rated string of abuse aimed at the woman who made that statement, with the song 'I hope you die' by the Bloodhound Gang playing in the background*

[EDIT]oops wrong quote :/

url="http://www.ClanNESW.org"][i]NESW[/i][/urlEl_MUERkOurl="http://www.CoFR.net"][i]CoFR[/i][/url

Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again

[This message has been edited by El_MUERkO (edited 24-08-2001).]

"We understand the regulator is looking for further information but we haven't received the details of that yet," said an Eircom spokeswoman.

Eircom failed to supply the information originally required by the Regulator.

"We have major concerns over any delays in rolling out our DSL product. We would ask why did it take the regulator over a month to come back for further information when we first submitted our pricing on July 20th."

What major concerns?

She neglected to mention that Eircom was late in providing the information in the first place.

eircom made a half assed job of it first time around and had to resubmitt it on the 9th of august.
    shame i thought eircom were serious about ADSL this time

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by infomat:

Eircom failed to supply the information originally required by the Regulator...
    </font>

This almost sounds like the Liam Lawlor fiasco for the Flood Tribunal!!

I think you summed that up quite well Delphi in the Liam Lawlor Reference- The whole thing sounds exactly the way himself & Ray Burke submitted information to the respective Tribunals....

At first nothing,
    Then irrelevant garbage,
    and eventually in dribs & drabs meanwhile holding up the whole show. (ie. ADSL rollout in September!!)

If any1 is still thinking of submitting a question for the seminar, this point MUSTbe raised. If ever there was a more blatant effort to reduce competition, this is it.

Exasperated, Bemused, Bewildered, Downright Pissed Off(line)....
    ME IS !!

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Advertisement

If this delays things by 2 months then that will psh the release date back by only a month or so, not too bad. And then the prices will be better than what we would have gotten.

Keep in mind most of us wouldnt have had ADSL in september anyway, January was more likely for allot of dublin,
    and sice allot of people will use Esat over eircon (i know i will given a chance) then this is only good news and show the odtr isnt the pet of the eircon we thought it was,

This isn't exactly on topic, but I've heard mention of 9 test exchanges that are allready upgraded for ADSL and will presumably be the first areas to have it available, does anyone have this list, or a link to it?

10 actually and yea its true, they are all south side and the list is public, i dont have it on me but im sure someone will post

I'd be interested in seeing the chosen 9 (or 10) exchanges.
    Should be a lesson in demographics.

I've found the list here

It's

Sandyford
    Dundrum
    Ballyboden
    Rathmines
    Tallaght
    Walkinstown
    Terenure
    Priory Park
    Crown Alley
    Sandyford RSU

Too bad mine isn't included frown.gif

Interesting, though the person who made the list is talking through his árse when he says By opting for such demographically wealthy areas does this indicate they are still planning to
    charge a king's ransom for it.

I don't see Dalkey, Killiney,Blackrock ,Foxrock,Dun Laoghaire and Howth in the trial areas....strange that..these areas are surely the most demographically wealthy areas in Dublin.

Tallaght..and they expect take up there..i know the suprise is old by now..sorry it still amazes me.

About all they got right here imho is Rathmines..i hope the Rathmines people are impressed.

[This message has been edited by Longfield (edited 25-08-2001).]

AFAIK either of the Sandyford Exchanges will cover the Foxrock & Leopardstown areas.

Although I may be biased living within the Sandyford Exchange, there is justification for eircoms decision given so many small busineses in the Sandyford Indus. Est & Leopardstown Business Park. eircom have specifiaclly targetted these areas- I know this for a fact because when I applied for an "i-stream" trial, I was told that preference had been given to these enterprises ahead of the home user.

BTW I'm only playing Devils Advocate- Obviously its a disgrace that the whole country wont be able to avail of the service immediately frown.gif

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't see Dalkey, Killiney,Blackrock ,Foxrock,Dun Laoghaire and Howth in the trial areas....strange that..these areas are surely the most demographically wealthy areas in Dublin.

Errah, they all have STM-1 leased lines Longfield. They wouldn't be seen dead with DSL. smile.gif

adam

lol dahamsta !!, probably true smile.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement