Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Membership Drive

Options
  • 19-08-2001 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

We currently have 817 members.

Would be nice to have this over 1000 by seminar.

Is there anyone you know who is interested in what we are doing but hasn't yet signed up ?

Martin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes - one more here.

Where do I join up?

Or have I joined by registering on the Forum?
    Where do I send my £10?

There is no method given anywhere on the website for joining - at least I couldn't find one.

[This message has been edited by Blue Max (edited 20-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blue Max:
    Yes - one more here.

Where do I join up?

Or have I joined by registering on the Forum?
    Where do I send my £10?

There is no method given anywhere on the website for joining - at least I couldn't find one.

Joe.
    </font>

Join up by submitting the feedback form choosing the option "registering my support".

http://www.scaryeire.com/www.irelandoffline.com/ContactUs.asp

Details for booking a place at the seminar are here:

http://www.scaryeire.com/www.irelandoffline.com/NewsArticle.asp?id=120801#booking

[This message has been edited by MyPerfectCousin (edited 19-08-2001).]

Maybe a stupid question but ... needs asking. If you subscribe to the mailing list does that mean you are a member ??

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by java:
    Maybe a stupid question but ... needs asking. If you subscribe to the mailing list does that mean you are a member ??</font>

No it's not stupid -- it's not clear on the website what you have to do to "become a member".

But I believe that Martin has a database of members compiled from those who submit the feedback form "registering my support" (these I believe are automatically added to the mailing list) *plus* those who sign up for the mailing list separately. I'll ask him to confirm, but if you're on the mailing list then I think that's all you have to do and the entrance fee will be 10 pounds.

John

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by java:
    Maybe a stupid question but ... needs asking. If you subscribe to the mailing list does that mean you are a member ??</font>

MyPerfectCousin's answer is perfectly right smile.gif

By the way, latest count is 856 members so let's push for the 1000 !

Martin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I've updated the option on the drop-down list in the form to include the word "join" - to make it more obvious...

suggestions for changes appreciated...

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">By the way, latest count is 856 members so let's push for the 1000 !

Martin</font>

Greetings all,
    Just letting you know I've been watching for a few days. I hadn't previously realised the level of activity that was actually present within Irish 'net users. I must say I was impressed. One more voice to add to your number. Keep up the good work.

--

You cannot defeat what you do not understand
    Darkside

I think I just joined. So what's the count so far?

What proof of membership will be needed at the seminar for the reduced price?

John (yes THE John!)
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

I might be interested in joining: but first a few questions (apologies if they have been answered previously):

1. What definintion of 'broadband' are you using for your campaign?
    2. With the growth of new (always-on & close to broadband) services like cable modems and wireless DTT what is your attitude to users charged on a usage basis i.e. Mbits per month basis. IMO people should be charged for the amount of resources they consume.

Thanks

Looking for the Digital future

http://www.geocities.com/gerryh123

you see use dont consume resources, bandwidth is there you use it, you just taken up space, anyway caps have been argued to death on this board it was decided that to get a service first then worry about Caps Prices and QoS

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I might be interested in joining: but first a few questions (apologies if they have been answered previously):

I don't speak for Ireland Offline officially, but...

1. What definintion of 'broadband' are you using for your campaign?

My definition of broadband is "high speed always-on connectivity charged at a flat rate". "High speed" would be defined as a minimum of 128k upstream and downstream. (I would happily settle for less that that, but I think anything below 128k should be considered unmetered.) "Always on" would be defined as always available with no connection charges and minimal connection times (less than a second). "Flat rate" would be defined as a fixed periodical payment, with no time-based connectivity charges.

2. With the growth of new (always-on & close to broadband) services like cable modems and wireless DTT what is your attitude to users charged on a usage basis i.e. Mbits per month basis. IMO people should be charged for the amount of resources they consume.

I agree with you, however telco's don't seem to. I can only see two reasons for this:

1) there would be extra outlay in organising this; or
    2) defining packages is inclined towards higher markup and profits.

Having dealt with hosting companies for years and battled hard and fast with them to have them charge me for actual usage rather predicted usage, I'm inclined to go for the latter. I'd like to see this happen, but I don't think it's an option. The only alternative is to offer scaled products and services, but as the Surf NoLimits debacle has demonstrated, even this isn't acceptable to Irish ISP's.

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator on 23-08-2001 02:35 PM:
    you see use dont consume resources, bandwidth is there you use it, you just taken up space, anyway caps have been argued to death on this board it was decided that to get a service first then worry about Caps Prices and QoS</font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator 3 days earlier on the Admin board (referring to the IrelandOffline forum):
    fair enough i wont post there again</font>

*cough*...

actually dev was talking about my post on the Belvedere forum if you had bothered to read the post. and in case you were wondering why i wasnt posting here it was because some users(damned it i know why) were taken offence to my constant posting.

Ps how the hell would you know what im referring to, nice to know you can read minds over the net now,
    thanks for telling me what i was thinking, its not the least bit arrogant rolleyes.gif

This is public because I want everone to know I'm warning you.
    You're recent posts in the Belvedere forum are NOT welcome. Keep your abusive nose out of that forum unless you want to banned outright. The other two people who wrote bull**** in there have been 12-clicked without warning.

Recently you've been more complained about then ALL other boards users combined. This is your last warning, play nice with others or you'll be booted.

Got it?

DeVore.

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 23-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    you see use dont consume resources, bandwidth is there you use it, you just taken up space, anyway caps have been argued to death on this board it was decided that to get a service first then worry about Caps Prices and QoS</font>

You obviously don't know anything about the systems I mention. Bandwidth is a consumable resource. It is not infinite.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cableskeptic:
    You obviously don't know anything about the systems I mention. Bandwidth is a consumable resource. It is not infinite.

</font>
    depends on your point of few and who you are,
    big isps rent access to the backbone, they dont pay for the amounth of data tranfered

ive no interest in arguing with you on this, as its a matter of opinion

Ps how the hell would you know what im referring to
    </font>

alright- I made a mistake- there's no need for you to over-react, although I'd expect nothing less.

</font>

Its kinda weird, isn't it? Gladiator has some odd obsession with the idea that bandwidth is just 'there' or something. He once described it as being like a road, which is, apparently, 'there to be used'...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    big isps rent access to the backbone, they dont pay for the amounth of data tranfered </font>

Loath as I am to get involved in yet another debate with you about this, but do you not realise that the more bandwidth an ISPs customers consume, the greater amount of bandwidth the ISP will have to buy? Same as with water - if everyone left their taps running, every town would need a bigger water main to carry water into it, which would cost more. The easy way to avoid that would be to charge people enough for their water to avoid them overusing it in that way. Ditto for bandwidth.

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 23-08-2001).]

you provoke me with a troll statement and then make me out be in the wrong.

i expected nothing less of you, well done bard,

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hudson806:
    Its kinda weird, isn't it? Gladiator has some odd obsession with the idea that bandwidth is just 'there' or something. He once described it as being like a road, which is, apparently, 'there to be used'...

</font>
    then please explain it to me, i think ive proven im open minded on most things.

i fail to see how you could loose bandwidth, that it can be used and once its users in cant be usered again.

maybe if someone owns the actual backbone and charges for the traffic, but it was my impression you pay for size not amounth

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 23-08-2001).]

then please explain it to me, i think ive proven im open minded on most things.
    </font>

Gladiator - see my post 2 seconds ago - I think I was editing it when you replied. Sorry for the confusion.

• Advertisement

big isps rent access to the backbone, they dont pay for the amounth of data tranfered

ive no interest in arguing with you on this, as its a matter of opinion

</font>

For the systems I was talking about the resouce bottleneck is in the access network and not the backbone (although the backbone resource is not infinite either) so its not a matter of opinion.

I hope you don't reflect the opinions of the membership of Ireland Offline?

For the systems I was talking about the resouce bottleneck is in the access network and not the backbone (although the backbone resource is not infinite either) so its not a matter of opinion.</font>

For, DSL the resource bottleneck is usually in the backhaul (by choice - it doesn't have to be). Its true for cable and most other technologies though.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    I hope you don't reflect the opinions of the membership of Ireland Offline?</font>

I don't think anyone would think me presumptuous to say he does not... wink.gif

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 23-08-2001).]

With Gladiator you've three choices really
    1) Simply Ignore him
    2) Rant and rave about him causing enormous flame wars
    3) Get all confused by his posts and spend hours trying to figure them out

I waver between numbers 1 and 3 depending on how generous my mood is wink.gif (but as long as he's civil don't have a problem with him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

It'd be nice to bring this back on topic wouldn't it ? I have also joined. Can anyone tell me how many tickets are left ? Will sending my money up now get me a ticket ?

Thanks.

stupid argument, that wont be solved, im having trouble explaining my few point to you people, maybe when we all talk in person.

Ps
    I hope you don't reflect the opinions of the membership of Ireland Offline?</font>

dont even get started on that,
    you fit it here just great you have allready insulted me, that the minimun requierments for being a member

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">that the minimun requierments for being a member</font>

LOL. Does Ireland Offline have a charter or an articles of association or summat? Can we add this? smile.gif

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    I don't speak for Ireland Offline officially, but...

Having dealt with hosting companies for years and battled hard and fast with them to have them charge me for actual usage rather predicted usage, I'm inclined to go for the latter. I'd like to see this happen, but I don't think it's an option. The only alternative is to offer scaled products and services, but as the Surf NoLimits debacle has demonstrated, even this isn't acceptable to Irish ISP's.

adam
    </font>

Thanks for the reasonable response. I agree with what you are saying and I am hoping that new service providers might change the traditional telco way of doing things.

I am looking for Ireland Offline's official answer to my original question though.

</font>

This is my personal opinion on the subject. I would much prefer that isps created different packages based on usage. Eg, a light users package, medium users, and heavy users. Each would be charged accordingly.

Im not against paying for what i use, but i would much prefer to know exactly how much i will be paying the isp each month, rather than a variable cost based soley on my usage the previous month. It makes it easier to budget for everything else etc, etc. Perhaps this could be a suggestions made at the ioffl conference if isps are seriously considering bandwidth capping / charging. It is a compromise between complete flat-rate and pay-as-you-use and i think that many people would find it an acceptable compromise?

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

you provoke me with a troll statement and then make me out be in the wrong.
    i expected nothing less of you, well done bard,

</font>

ffs... grow up and let the argument die, would you? I admitted I was wrong. There's no need to dwell on it.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    LOL. Does Ireland Offline have a charter or an articles of association or summat? Can we add this? smile.gif

adam
    </font>

hahaha...

no ... and no smile.gif

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Puck:
    What proof of membership will be needed at the seminar for the reduced price?
    </font>
    Easiest way is to pay in advance as outlined on our website, you will get a confirmation back by email.

If you want to take chance and pay at door, you will be asked for name and email address with which you registered.

Martin

Advertisement