Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Membership Drive

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cableskeptic:

I am looking for Ireland Offline's official answer to my original question though.
    </font>

As a committee member, I'd be happy to agree with what Adam has said already in his reply to you.

However, for an "official" IOFFL reply, I'd defer to Dave or Martin.

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am looking for Ireland Offline's official answer to my original question though.</font>

Hope you don't mind me saying so but your question is a bit like "how long is a piece of string" smile.gif

Dahamsta's description of broadband is right in broad terms.

There are, of course, many flavours of broadband and methods of provision including copper wire, satellite and wireless. The pro's and cons of these have been discussed at length in various topics in this forum.

We do not see it as our task to target any one aspect of broadband. The reality at present is that although various companies are talking about broadband, no one is offering it on any significant scale.

We are campaigning to get these companies to get off their a***s and provide some form of service, then we can argue about the quality and cost of the service.

I know this isn't a particularly precise explanation but I hope it helps you understand better where we are coming from.

Martin Harran
    Chairman, IrelandOffline

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Puck:
    I think I just joined. So what's the count so far?</font>

894 as at 20:37 this evening.

Martin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o_donnel_abu:
    894 as at 20:37 this evening.

Martin

</font>

Jeez, that's a short reply compared to some of the above! smile.gifsmile.gif

Mick.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by obewan:
    Jeez, that's a short reply compared to some of the above! smile.gifsmile.gif

Mick.
    </font>

Cos I stayed on-topic smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
    Martin

• Advertisement

Hope you don't mind me saying so but your question is a bit like "how long is a piece of string" smile.gif

Dahamsta's description of broadband is right in broad terms.

There are, of course, many flavours of broadband and methods of provision including copper wire, satellite and wireless. The pro's and cons of these have been discussed at length in various topics in this forum.

We do not see it as our task to target any one aspect of broadband. The reality at present is that although various companies are talking about broadband, no one is offering it on any significant scale.

We are campaigning to get these companies to get off their a***s and provide some form of service, then we can argue about the quality and cost of the service.

I know this isn't a particularly precise explanation but I hope it helps you understand better where we are coming from.

Martin Harran
    Chairman, IrelandOffline
    </font>

Thanks for the considered reply. I'm sorry about going over old ground.

I agree in principle with your objectives to achieve a much better service than we have in Ireland at present so on that basis I would be happy to join up.

I too would be happy to get a 'broadband' service as defined by Adam at a reasonable cost but would everyone else in the group be satisfied? But as Adam also suggested it would be nuce to create some sort of charter that newbies like me could look at and not have to ask basic questions. This would also help achieve a more precise definition of what this group is aiming for. For example, different service providers will not be able to provide the same level or distribution of service so the charter would eventually have to detail exactly what the group's expectations are wrt to each service type.

Best of luck.

it would be nuce to create some sort of charter that newbies like me could look at and not have to ask basic questions. This would also help achieve a more precise definition of what this group is aiming for. </font>
    Good idea. Would anyone like to volunteer to draw something like this up in draft form for discussion on this forum?

(The key skill for a chairman - do the easy tasks and delegate the hard ones smile.gif)

Martin

911 right now - another 89 needed before Wednesday !

Martin

911 right now - another 89 needed before Wednesday !
    </font>

Signed up at last. Getting nearer, Martin?

Advertisement