Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody see the new Eircom Add

Options
  • 26-08-2001 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

The one with the mutant mouse on the bike, haa. what did you guys thing of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

im scared

what are they advertising ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Apparently, they're trying to promote use of the internet. ..... HAHAHAHA

http://scripts.ireland.com/technology/newsshowall.cfm?ID=%201959

Mouse ads aim to net more users
    (The Irish Times)
    Eircom has launched an advertising campaign aimed at encouraging customers to use the internet.
    The company is hoping to persuade people that the internet makes it easier to pay bills, keep in touch with family and shop. The "use your mouse" campaign, which kicked off yesterday with television adverts, is designed to increase internet use at home.
    It will be aimed at residential customers and teleworkers who have a PC at home. According to Eircom, internet use is on the increase among adults but the rate of increase is tailing off.
    It claims 32 per cent of all adults use the internet while a fifth have internet access at home. The company hopes the campaign will also encourage more people to get online.

Looks like one half of eircom is pulling one way, and the other half is going the opposite way.

nothing, they just say go faster with eircom
    i dont really get the point of the adds?

people hate eircom, and anybody useing CPS know what eircon are like,
    myself, id have both my phones on ntl only for ADSL

And it's more profitable probably to get new Internet users who are less aware of the Eircom LLU debacle and more to pay the £0.60/E0.80? per hour, than it is to introduce flat rate services and broadband.

What I don't understand is that it's not like say water or gas or something. Bandwidth isn't something that can "run out", like oil could. It's there, they made the exchanges, they don't need to have a bandwidth trickle system because it costs them a certain amount to allow you to connect to an ISP. You are not consuming real world resources, as you are in electricity (be it hydroelectric, nuclear, whatever), water, gas.

In TV land logic applies: you pay a flat-rate for access to NTL, or Sky, because it's not a consumable resource, it's an electronically created product that does not really exist in the real world, apart from electrons.

So I don't understand why there ever was even a per-minute pricing, when you don't need someone working per minute of that phone call to ensure enough of the product is created to be used. Long distance is different, as you need costs for different companies, emloyees, etc., . But on one network on one provider how can it possibly need constant maintenance?

If I dial up to Eircom's ISP is there someone there constantly working to *make* bandwidth, something that is pumping it out og the ground? Spinning it around in the air? No, it's a computer, and it requires minimal supervision. It creates a connection, and that's that.

I am just disappointed that we are still based on a 60s technology pricing method, given that they effectively do not have to "create" the product if it is locally "generated".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Much as I hate to defend Eircom, it's not as simple as that R. Daneel (Asimov fan, eh?). There's things like keeping the network useable (when you connect to the Internet you're locking up a "line" all the way through the network), and although when you're connecting to the Internet you're using Eircom's network, you're also using bandwidth in and out of the country most of the time. TV is entirely different - those signals are broadcast constantly, you can just pull them out of the sky anytime you want (although they might be encrypted).

It's a complicated thing to explain, and I can't get my head around it right now, but I'm sure someone will be along to explain in a minute...

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by R. Daneel Olivaw:

In TV land logic applies: you pay a flat-rate for access to NTL, or Sky, because it's not a consumable resource, it's an electronically created product that does not really exist in the real world, apart from electrons.

</font>

I am not at all certain that this is a valid comparison. There are tiers of services available from SKY including "PAY PER VIEW" also much of the revenue being generated by SKY is from advertising on a scale that is not available to Eircom.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by R. Daneel Olivaw:

What I don't understand is that it's not like say water or gas or something. Bandwidth isn't something that can "run out", like oil could. It's there, they made the exchanges, they don't need to have a bandwidth trickle system because it costs them a certain amount to allow you to connect to an ISP. You are not consuming real world resources, as you are in electricity (be it hydroelectric, nuclear, whatever), water, gas.

</font>

You could the same argument (or similar) to justify software piracy. It would cost very little for Bill Gates to make Windows XP available via the Microsoft Website and we could all download it free or at a nominal cost so why will we be charged more than £100 and why are we expected to pay a licence for every machine on which we install it?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phaxx:
    Apparently, they're trying to promote use of the internet.

According to Eircom, internet use is on the increase among adults but the rate of increase is tailing off.

The company hopes the campaign will also encourage more people to get online.
    </font>

Okay, I'm no economist, scientist, genius or anything but I think I may have come up with a way to increase internet usage in this country. Now, this is a very complicated way of achieving this so I hope you will all bear with me as I explain it and will be able to keep up.

Okay, here's my idea........

GIVE US F***ING FLAT-RATE INTERNET ACCESS F***ING NOW, YOU F***ING TWATS!!!!

I hope everybody understood what I was getting at there. In fact, I'm sure you all did, except the gob****es in Eircom, Esat, the ODTR and the government.

I know a lot of people who would love to get on the net but don't want to because of the fear of running up high phone bills. However, they all have said they would gladly pay £20-25 per month for unmetered, 24/7 access as they would then know what they were paying and would not have any nasty surprises in the post.

If we had flat-rate, those people would sign-up and the existing customers would certainly use the net more, thus achieving Eircom's aim of increasing internet use. Of course, Eircom want to increase net use and still charge for the calls, thus pushing up their profit margins. They need to realise that they can't have their cake and eat it. Do they want more money charging for the calls but less people using the net or more customers and more people using it but at a flat-rate price? Come on Eircom, make up your f***ing minds!

Heh heh, couldn't have put it better meself, well done aidan_dunne.

Is it my imagination or is the level of frustration getting even worse in here? It is the growing numbers or just growing frustration.

Heh, I'd like to get an Eircom executive sitting down next to me here and MAKE him or her read all this stuff.

Among other things...

adam

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:

Heh, I'd like to get an Eircom executive sitting down next to me here and MAKE him or her read all this stuff.
    </font>

Nah I have a better idea. Remember the scene with the lawyer towards the end of the movie 'Hannibal'? wink.gif

Just browsing and posting via satellite and getting burst speeds close to 296Kb/s. Surprisingly on EON though it doesn't seem to last through the day. Then the Hauppauge dvbs 'doze driver seems to be a piece of crap. The speed of this thing reminds me of how much damage that Eircom is doing to the economy.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:

i dont really get the point of the adds?

</font>

It got your attention, didn't it? - Got you talking about eircom, didn't it? Made you think about 'em...

That'd be the point of the ads.

... oh - that and making you buy their product wink.gif

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

if the point of the adds were to make me think eircom are a crowd of cowboy retards, then 3 cheers it worked,

Surely you all remember that Eircom's Marketing Dept. discovered that there's no real demand for flat-rate access? They responded to an ie. comp a couple of years ago a few months before the now almost defunct Esat SNL was introduced saying that they had surveyed a large volume of users who expressed this opinion.

A question I would like to ask any Eircom representatives at the seminar would be; are you actually taking the **** with this ad campaign?

It just demonstrates the lame level of thinking in Eircon; sit on the relevant technology and for years and make no real effort to develop the infrastructure instead make a stupid tv ad to deceive the plebs - its certainly a lot easier.

i really dont get the point of eircom adds anyway. like why do they, everyone in ireland (bare a hangfull) that use the phone or interent is an eircon customer in one way or another. so whats the point

Branding Gladiator. It's the only thing Eircom have been particularly successful at since it was privatised. The Eircom brand is very valuable, it's one of their biggest assets.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

260801IOS_Mouse.jpg

Eircom may see it as "cute" and "harmless"... but for some it will confirm Eircom in their minds as a "Mickey Mouse" operation.

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

Advertisement