Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for Seminar

Options
  • 25-08-2001 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

The advantages of announcing the questions in advance has been discussed elsewhere. Eircom have now told us that they cannot guarantee answers on the day unless they see the questions beforehand.

With the time avaialable on the day, I think we will realistically only be able to deal with four or five questions, bearing in mind that each panellist will be asked to respond and we will also want comments from the audience.

In order to keep some degree of flexibility, I propose that we publish a list of 12 questions; the ones we select will be decided on the day, based on the presentations made by the speakers and the feedback we have from our members.

A draft list of questions is below.

What do you all think about these questions - are any of them totally irrelevant or are there any others we should be asking?

Please note that discussion on this has to be closed by Sunday evening in order to get these questions out to panelists by Monday.

Also, we need people to actually ask the questions. If you would be interested in doing so, please email me, indicating what specific ones (if any) that you would like to ask.

Martin Harran
    Chairman, IrelandOffline

Questions:
    • Does the panel think that internet access has any direct bearing on economic growth?
    • As a private company, should Eircom make its business decisions solely on commercial grounds, or does it have a civic duty to ensure that telecoms infrastructure is used to best advantage of the country?
    • What do the panel think about the latest fiasco in regard to broadband pricing?
    • What percentage of the Irish population should eventually have access to broadband and over what timescale?
    • What factors should the ODTR take into consideration in deciding appropriate prices for Internet access?
    • Do the panel think it is acceptable that 3 months after Esat have submitted a Statement of requirements for FRIACO, there is still no indication as to when Eircom will provide it?
    • The legislation relating to ODTR is due for review this autumn; what changes would the panel like to see?
    • What real changes to Internet access do the panel foresee by the end of this year?
    • How does the government reconcile its aim for Ireland to become the E-hub of Europe with the fact that we are currently so far behind the rest of Europe?
    • The French Government is to make available £1 billion worth of cheap loans to help fund investment in broadband. Is there a lesson here for the Irish Government?
    • What impact is the sale of Eircom likely to have on its policy towards Internet access?
    • What lessons are to be learnt from the rapid growth of IrelandOffline and what ongoing role do the panel think it should play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I see you've touched on it in various points in relation to eircoms obligations and possible ODTR legislative change but...

Given the proximity of the announcement by the ODTR re: eircoms delay in submitting information in relation to prices [ re: "Good News for ADSL pricing-NOT! thread ] , maybe we should specifically put this question to the eircom representative. My reading of the situation is that eircom are blatantly withholding information and delaying the rollout for whatever reason, and I for one would be interested to know the reasons for eircoms delay.

Good range of Q's Martin. In particular the reference to France & their subsidisation of Broadband. I'd also be keen to hear what the various parties have to say about the legislative review of the ODTR. [Believe me I have a lot of suggestions !!]

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

maybe this is abite to late but what the hell,
    is ntl going to be there?

ive an idea for a question,

why dont you ask why it wasnt made part of ntl Sale that they had to provide a 2 ways network, after all serveral goverment bodies at the time stated that the sale of cablelink was to bring competition to the local loope. and provide a first class broadband network.

or something to that effect

I think Gladiator's point relates to the wider issue of how the various monopolies stifle the deployment of innovative technologies in Ireland.

These ODTR protected monopolies have enabled companies to sit back and concentrate on existing revenue streams without providing new services. Currently, both the major cable companies are seeking increases on their basic packages. NTL, with 60% of cable customers and no competition in their franchise area, is not even promising to provide bi-directional cable Internet.

On the telephone local loop side, a much more attractive business model for xDSL services would be video on demand as well as Internet services. This would allow subscribers to pick from hundreds of videos for which there would be a charge similar to that of a video shop. It would be easy to supply broadband Internet on the back of this. However this is not allowed under the current anti-competive regulations. ODTR regulations are limiting what can be done over xDSL in order to protect the monopolies of cable companies - and these cable companies don't even have obligations placed on them to upgrade their own networks to broadband Internet.

Following on from my earlier post, a couple of questions arise:
    • What is the purpose of exclusive licences for cable companies given that it prevents competition over the telephone local loop for video services?
    • Why wasn't broadband Internet written into NTL's licence obligations given that the purpose of the sale of Cablelink was to provide competition to the encumbent telephone operator?

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 25-08-2001).]

Without wanting to diminish the value of the other questions, I think there is are one or two questions that need to be asked straight out. They relate to the objectives of Ireland OffLine and I think everybody at the seminar would be interested in the answers:

1. When will affordable flatrate/broadband be available in Ireland?
    2. What are the current obstacles to the provision of flatrate/broadband?

And I would tolerate any waffly answers on that either!

Mike

• Advertisement

Sorry, MAJOR typo in that last post!

Should have read:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    And I wouldn't tolerate any waffly answers on that either!
    </font>

Mike

Another question:

Bitstream DSL access involves the installation by Eircom of DSL equipment in exchanges. What is the timescale for the rollout of this technology accross the country once the wholesale pricing issues are sorted out?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skeptic1:
    Another question:

Bitstream DSL access involves the installation by Eircom of DSL equipment in exchanges. What is the timescale for the rollout of this technology accross the country once the wholesale pricing issues are sorted out?

</font>

in fairness i doubt they have one, and this question wont lead to a direct answer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    in fairness i doubt they have one, and this question wont lead to a direct answer</font>
    If they don't have one, then "We don't have one." is the direct answer. IrelandOffline will then have on record that Eircom have no schedule for rolling out bitstream access even after the regulatory issues have been sorted out.

This is a fairly central question. 1. There is no point in offering affordable ADSL if it is forever confined to one or two exchanges.
    2. Eircom can't offer ADSL without offering a wholesale service to other ISPs. If we limit the questions to retail aspects (e.g. when are Eircom going to offer us ADSL) then Eircom will be able to sidestep the rollout issue by saying that it is up to the ISP to determine whether they want to offer ADSL out of one of Eircom's exchanges.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    What do the panel think about the latest fiasco in regard to broadband pricing?
    </font>

IMHO this question is to unspecific, maybe add some information detailing exactly what fiasco your refaring to and quoting the partys involved/

url="http://www.ClanNESW.org"][i]NESW[/i][/urlEl_MUERkOurl="http://www.CoFR.net"][i]CoFR[/i][/url

Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again

• Advertisement

I think an important question should be put to Etain Doyle the regulator.
    Has she issued another Broadband Licience since the demise of Formus ? If not, why not ?

Listen to your critic's and doubters and if you still remain positive, confident and focused, Live Your Dreams ...

you can find out that one the ODTR site, it has a list of licences issued and when they were issued, if none have been i guess its because they reaslize theres no point

is ntl going to be there?
    </font>

Not on panel, still waiting for word on whether they will have someone in audience.

IMO, whilst cable is an important issue, we should stay away from it at seminar; we only have limited time so we should focus on issues which affect most people.

Martin

so this is a telecoms seminar. probably should have had that in the title

you can find out that one the ODTR site, it has a list of licences issued and when they were issued, if none have been i guess its because they reaslize theres no point</font>
    While you're there, it is worth checking for licences bought up by existing companies that are not being used.

yea i noctice there afew that have done that, any idea why?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o_donnel_abu:
    IMO, whilst cable is an important issue, we should stay away from it at seminar; we only have limited time so we should focus on issues which affect most people.</font>
    My main interest in the cable question is that I believe that it is the primary reason we don't currently have broadband in urban areas in Ireland.

I accept, however, that flat-rate, LLU, and DSL are of more immediate concern and that if time is limited, the questions should concentrate on these.

I agree with Delphi that the question:
    "When will affordable flatrate/broadband be available in Ireland?" should be asked first up.

yea i noctice there afew that have done that, any idea why?</font>

Two (possible) reasons come to mind.
    1. To protect existing old-fashioned but more expensive products such as leased lines.
    2. To prevent other companies from being awarded the licences.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skeptic1:
    • What is the purpose of exclusive licences for cable companies given that it prevents competition over the telephone local loop for video services?
    • Why wasn't broadband Internet written into NTL's licence obligations given that the purpose of the sale of Cablelink was to provide competition to the encumbent telephone operator?
    </font>

See my earlier reply to gladiator about cable. Again, I have to emphasise that this is not to ignore cable, the fear I have is that if we get embroiled in any discussion on cable, it will take heat off FRIACO and copper wire which are issues affecting most people.

Martin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Delphi91:
    Without wanting to diminish the value of the other questions...1. When will affordable flatrate/broadband be available in Ireland?
    2. What are the current obstacles to the provision of flatrate/broadband?
    </font>
    The questions as I posed them are meant to provoke debate - remember what I said
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> "each panellist will be asked to respond and we will also want comments from the audience."</font>

For example, the question "What real changes to Internet access do the panel foresee by the end of this year?" should provoke a debate on timescales and allow members of the audience to ask "When will these things happen and why are they taking so long?"

The same principle applies to some of the other specific questions raised in this topic so far.

Martin

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by El_MUERkO:
    IMHO this question is to unspecific, maybe add some information detailing exactly what fiasco your refaring to and quoting the partys involved</font>
    Might *seem* like a vague question but one that should IMO provoke lively debate by opening up two issues of pricing and timescale smile.gif

Believe me, I put a lot of thought into those questions, you have to remember that ODTR and ESAT and Eircom would all be responding to this question.

Martin

"Has she issued another Broadband Licience since the demise of Formus ? If not, why not ?"
    It was my understanding that five (5) Broadband Licences were awarded, Eircom,Esat,NTL,Chorus & Formus. Now there are only three Eircom,Esat and Chorus. Less competition, longer delays. Was'nt Declan Ganley's Broadnet interested in aquiring one ?

Listen to your critic's and doubters and if you still remain positive, confident and focused, Live Your Dreams ...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Relative:
    "Has she issued another Broadband Licience since the demise of Formus ? If not, why not ?"
    It was my understanding that five (5) Broadband Licences were awarded, Eircom,Esat,NTL,Chorus & Formus. Now there are only three Eircom,Esat and Chorus. Less competition, longer delays. Was'nt Declan Ganley's Broadnet interested in aquiring one ?

</font>
    no there was at least one more that has one, i think their working out of wexford

no there was at least one more that has one, i think their working out of wexford
    [QUOTE/]
    Only 5 Broadband Liciences were issued. Now there are only 3 companies that are still in competition. www.odtr.ie/fwa_licensees.asp
    Can't see any working out of Wexford ?
    Maybe i'm missing something but how come the ODTR has not issued more liciences ?

theres is one in wexford, ****e service tho, cant remember the name, ill find out later as it was brought up here not so long ago

hmm you looked up the wrong ones,
    Cable licences not FWA

gotcha smile.gif

But all the same I'd be ready for qustions from the panel asking for more detail.

url="http://www.ClanNESW.org"][i]NESW[/i][/urlEl_MUERkOurl="http://www.CoFR.net"][i]CoFR[/i][/url

Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again

hmm you looked up the wrong ones,
    Cable licences not FWA[Quote/]
    Five Broadband Liciences, both cable and wireless, were issued by Etain Doyle, now only three are being used. It just seems to me that the more competition in the Broadband sector will increase availability and price.
    Which company in Wexford was issued with a Broadband Licience ?

Straight question for the eircom representative:

Since eircom have an always-on technology in place country wide already, when will they allow AODI use on existing ISDN lines?

Will they offer the same flat-rate tariff as in Germany ? - about 5 euros per month.

Are there ANY technical reasons for not offering AODI or is it just their fear of losing analogue leased line revenue?

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blue Max:
    Straight question for the eircom representative:

Since eircom have an always-on technology in place country wide already, when will they allow AODI use on existing ISDN lines?
    </font>

Good 'follow up' question on discussion about broadband roll out - will you be there to ask it ?

Martin

Advertisement