Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seminar: Virtual Attendance

Options
  • 28-08-2001 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Perhaps this has already been discussed and I missed it, but has there been any thought given to perhaps offering virtual attendance to the seminar to those who can't show up in person? An IRC channel perhaps? The extra people could help show the true level of support. Just an idea.

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It is something I had considered, but it would mean a dedicated typist entering in all the discussions and also a phone connection from 4pm to 7pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and also a phone connection from 4pm to 7pm.</font>

LOL. We can't afford it. smile.gif

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

An option to attend "virtually" could potentially lessen our numbers at the "live" part of the event, and it would be costly and time consuming, so while it's not really a bad idea as such, I don't really see it as a goer, to be honest - especially at this late stage.

For those of you who can't make it, we'll have a full update posted to the website as soon as possible (not tomorrow night unfortunately, as I'm working then), and we'll hopefully have full media coverage also.

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Righty-ho.

Pity no one's married to a stenographer. wink.gif

K

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:

For those of you who can't make it, we'll have a full update posted to the website as soon as possible (not tomorrow night unfortunately, as I'm working then), and we'll hopefully have full media coverage also.
    </font>

Any chance of making a RealAudio file of the proceedings and posting it? Unfortunately, I cannot be in Dublin for the event.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jmcc:
    Any chance of making a RealAudio file of the proceedings and posting it? Unfortunately, I cannot be in Dublin for the event.

Regards...jmcc
    </font>

That's definitely a possibility wink.gif

I'll see what I can do re: recording it and editing and encoding it for download.

Cheers for the suggestion,

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

The audio thing is a great idea !!

BTW, Does anyone know if we've definitley got any camera crew coming. I got a mail from Elana this morning but she didn't mention it. If anyones got a good camcorder, barring RTE / TV3 sending someone, it may be a good idea to film it ourselves. We could then extract Audio from that or post parts of the video as a real media ??

Any suggestions ??

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

tv3 have it on their 'potential story' list, and it's going to be discussed by them in their news team meeting today. They may or may not yet have a camera & reporter at the seminar - if they do, it would probably be an exclusive for them - a one-up over RTÉ.

It's a 3 hour event... dunno about making *all* that available as downloadable real-audio... will probably put the most important bits up (if I can sort out doing it at all, that is...)

Bard

Lets hope its a quite day in terms of news.

TELL your friends and family to stay @ home & not to get into any 10 car pile-ups on the M50...rite

Oh actually 1st tell them to go Seminar!!
    They can pay in & then retire to Alfie Byrnes for a few lemonades!!

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

If you want to gimme a copy of the tapes I'll transcribe some/all of it.

Is there a PA system being used.. if so, we could take a line feed from it to a tape recorder or a PC

[This message has been edited by Fergus (edited 28-08-2001).]

• Advertisement

Anyone got IBM's Via Voice Pro- That could be handy??

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fergus:
    Is there a PA system being used.. if so, we could take a line feed from it to a tape recorder or a PC</font>

Yes there will be a PA system, will have to check about line to tape recorder

Martin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    Anyone got IBM's Via Voice Pro- That could be handy??</font>

VIA Voice struggles with my Northern accent on my own PC which I have 'trained' - hate to think what sort of misquotes we would get at an event like this smile.gif

Martin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o_donnel_abu:
    VIA Voice struggles with my Northern accent on my own PC which I have 'trained' - hate to think what sort of misquotes we would get at an event like this smile.gif

Martin
    </font>

Last demo of it I remember it came up with references to the IRA and lesbians smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o_donnel_abu:
    hate to think what sort of misquotes we would get at an event like this smile.gif

Martin
    </font>

Wot something along the lines of....

€ircom: We're introducing braodband to the whole of Ireland, no caps- £15 p/m

Audience turn to each other:Did I hear that correctly ??

Oh if only it could be true frown.gif

I've heard bad things about Via Voice Pro actually. There's supposed to be ag ood alternative- cant think of it right now- but I saw it in the Voice Recognition Software section on Amazon. Might worth a look if your struggling Martin

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've never used 'em, but Dragon Naturally Speaking seems to get consistently good reviews.

http://www.dragonsys.com/

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    I've never used 'em, but Dragon Naturally Speaking seems to get consistently good reviews.
    </font>

I've been using Dragon for a few years (now finally got version 5 and I do quite like it. (only have Standard version 5 though, I half-miss the pro version of 4. I do need to read rather clearly though (read in a "rather clear" voice) so using anything like this without training for the seminar is a non-runner.

Advertisement