Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRC channel associated with Ireland Offline?

Options
  • 29-08-2001 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I unfortunately cannot make it either...Is there an IRC channel associated with the campaign?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I'd be happy to give members access to my server if there's interest, and possibly a permenant room if anyone wants it. smile.gif
    I too cannot make it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Guys,

This has already been raised here:

http://www.boards.ie/community/Forum18/HTML/000433.html

K

What's that got to do with an irc channel; didn't think real audio and live views, e.t.c. of whats going on were relevent? wink.gif Unless I got the wrong end of the stick and daveharlowe was referring to a chan so that someone at the seminar could type into the chan what's going on as it happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

The very first post (mine) asked for an IRC channel. Have another look at the thread. The audio file stuff came later, after the idea of an IRC channel had been discussed and rejected. Anyway, I was just trying to be helpful, not picky. smile.gif

K

The impression of the rejection I get from that thread is in relation to an irc channel where (quote) "a dedicated typist entering in all the discussions", being said at the seminar.

My idea would to be to have the channel as an addition to the forums, where people can come in and discuss anything, well almost anything, but you know what I mean. wink.gif
    Just an idea; if it's been rejected before, then dismiss this thread plz. smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was hoping that an irc channel could be set up so that those of us who can't go can at least gather somewhere to discuss ideas.....sure it would be better if we could be there.....

bkehoe : if you publish an irc server's ip and port and #, I'll join :-)

I'm on efnet : irc.homelien.no : #irelandoffline to discuss why we shouldn't have an irc channel :-) :-) :-)

hi
    tairc.2y.net standard irc ports (e.g. 6666,6667,7000), room is #irelandoffline. I brought in a bot which can give weather reports, news, e.t.c. as well.

btw, try irc.teamanandtech.com if the dns for the above doesn't work (sometimes dhs is down).

Why not put the Irish Ireland offline irc room into the only Irish irc server i know of, being

irc.indigo.ie

they even have a chanserver bot that u can apply for

Sounds like they use the Epona services as well.

Still though, what difference does it make what server is used (well maybe some people may not like using the eircom server you suggest)?

If it's on my server, I can set up stats for the channel, e.t.c. (example: http://tairc.2y.net/teamanandtech.html ), and the X bot can give news, weather, e.t.c, and even give live status on game servers (UT/quake3, e.t.c.). Z is the same as what you mentioned is available on Indigo.

I suggest we leave this up to an irelandoffline director or something, or else have a vote on it. smile.gif

I vote Brendan's rather than Eircom's IRC server. wink.gif

• Advertisement

I also think that Brendan's should be the one to be used.

EFNET is very unreliable these days, constant splitting and very bad lag.

so I'm exiting :
    Efnet : irc.homelien.no : #irelandoffline

At any rate, I don't see too many people using this during the day as it is too expensive for most people.

Evening..
    Try irc.xevion.net or irc.xevion.org
    It was originaly linked to irc.indigo.ie which is actully part of phishy.net,but split.. its run by Irish ppl and Americans,who are as annoyed about net access as you ;)

Hmm, 'evening' currently Asia, correct? smile.gif

Anyway, daveharlowe and I, along with a few others that popped in last night seem to be the only ones interested in this? Would have thought more would be into irc.

Assuming you don't know what IRC is, you can get a client from www.mirc.com. Once you install it, start it up, and enter in a nickname, name and email address, and click 'OK'. Now type /server address (e.g. for mine, /server tairc.2y.net ). Then type #irelandoffline in the window that pops up, and start chatting. I could make a 'ready to run client' if more are interested (e.g. you unzip it, and just click a few times and you're in).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

If the discussion of servers is still open, a hell of a lot of irish folk use the quakenet network (irc.barrysworld.com, irc.b0rk.co.uk are two servers on it). Its where #fortress.ie is on.
    OK, so its very game-centric, but a lot of the target audience is there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

would it not be easier to just set uo the channel #irelandoffline on quakenet, seeing as alot of members and people who care about broadband use it. I know if you want to make it, we can get a Q in, and a few other services that supernoodle could provide. It would save having 2 mirc's open for alot of us, and i know there's alot of irish people who would be interested in putting forward discussion, but not necessarily be part of boards.ie, so what ye think?

#irelandoffline

irc.barrysworld.com:6667

?? I guarantee we'll get alot more people in there than on any other irc server

Oh well, whatever you want; my server is always open. But I know I'm not going to run 2 mircs anyway, so I won't be found at quakenet anyway. wink.gif

I'm in general in favour of an irc chan, and it needs to be decided whether it is to be in a large network where any number of hundreds of people; good or bad could find it, or where only members of ireland offline would know where it is, this making it much more private. Also it brings about the fact that if on a large network, there is no control over server stuff, e.t.c.

Yes, it's obvious I'm biased, as are those who use quakenet, so is there some 'neutral' person/people who could decide, or will we continue with a room on each server? wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

whichever network it is on, we can set a key and keep it secret if needed

ok, #irelandoffline is now linked via a bot on the following servers:

irc.indigo.ie/PhishyNet
    irc.barrysworld.com/QuakeNet
    t2.xevion.net/Xevion/my server of choice
    tairc.2y.net/Team Anandtech/BKehoe's server

adding another network is just a matter of a line in the conf.

Advertisement