Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strategy games

Options
  • 31-05-2001 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in a strategy game tourney?
    CS is fine and everything but something a little more cerebral and strategic would be nice for a change.
    TA
    IG2
    Armada
    RA2
    The list goes on and on.
    We could always take over DNC or netshop for a night and play nothing but strat games.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Id be up for AOE2/AOK and RA2, plus i could probally give the others a shot biggrin.gif

*cough*
    daves l33t site 0wns j00.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd be up for RA2, TA(m1rv got me into it, it 0wnz), AOE, AOE2, Civ 2(hehe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

Since yer talkin' bout Strategy Games - I thought I'd mention - COMMANDOS 2 is on its way.YAHOO !!!
    biggrin.gif
    Cant Wait For it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I wouldnt include Armada in that, No one in Ireland would have much of a chance against either myself or StarScream.. biggrin.gif

Id love to play RA2, but dont ya need a cd for every machine ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xithus:
    I wouldnt include Armada in that, No one in Ireland would have much of a chance against either myself or StarScream.. biggrin.gif
    </font>
    Jag might disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Has nobody mentioned "Master of Orion 2"?
    Hardcore strategy gamers look down on "realtime strategy" games such as Starcraft or RA2 (play Alpha Centauri and see why....). These are still brilliant games, but I would put them in a completely different category. Starcraft simply isn't Machavellian (if you don't understand this word then you don't know what strategy means).

[This message has been edited by Void (edited 02-06-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Void:
    Hardcore strategy gamers look down on "realtime strategy" games such as Starcraft or RA2 (play Alpha Centauri and see why....).
    </font>
    No not hardcore strategy gamers,
    strategy gamers who like to think there l33t and that rts always sucks compared to tb.
    I play both and I enjoy both, but people who say you have to love stars! and etc. to be a hardcore strategy fan are just bull****ting.

[This message has been edited by WhiteLancer (edited 02-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Nope I never said that.
    Try reading the post again, hint: "different category".

Nope I never said that.
    Try reading the post again, hint: "different category".
    </font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and etc.</font>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Homeworld and HW: Cataclysm
    (with Hyperspacing turned on)

It can be pretty hard to defend against with attacks comming from any angle....

Imperium Galactica 2 is also pretty good...if a little easy...

TA....one of my favorite games.... smile.gif

Armada...xithus...what about a few people ganging up on you...or limiting yourself to minimum use of ships like the akira's, vorcha's, etc....which can really spoil a game...

It is not a fairytail. It is truth

www.scifi-meshes.com

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Monty - the one and only:
    Homeworld and HW: Cataclysm
    (with Hyperspacing turned on)

It can be pretty hard to defend against with attacks comming from any angle....

Imperium Galactica 2 is also pretty good...if a little easy...

TA....one of my favorite games.... smile.gif

Armada...xithus...what about a few people ganging up on you...or limiting yourself to minimum use of ships like the akira's, vorcha's, etc....which can really spoil a game...

</font>

Never forgot the time 2 people hyperspaced 12 minbari war cruisers behind my mothership smile.gif
    ouchywaawaa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

AoE (RoR, AoK etc.)
    Homeword Cataclism
    C&C Retaliation

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

Gotta have starcraft there :-)

no offence Whitelancer ... but from your first post I can see it will fail .... TOO MANY GAMES ... restrict to a really really small number ... I have all of the ones you mentions but not everybody has or can get a copy.

void made a valid point about RTS vs hard core ... MOO2 would takes a long time to play for a good game though void :-) I've got one running and we've clocked up 25hrs so far and the end ain't close ( we should not have picked a huge galaxy :-) )

whitelancer ... if memory serves me correctly in homeworld the membari cruisers replace destroyers and you can only build a max of 6 :-)

But Home World and Cataclysm are excellent, monty ... best move is too just jump your mother ship out.

although Cataclysm i find my self abandoning fighters and corvettes and just building heavy capital ships and ion frigates

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Hah Starcraft, get the freakin original Warcraft 2. Them's were the days never came across anyone half decent from Ireland. I almost won the KHB once but none of you know what that is!!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lord Khan:
    whitelancer ... if memory serves me correctly in homeworld the membari cruisers replace destroyers and you can only build a max of 6 :-)
    </font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Never forgot the time 2 people hyperspaced 12 minbari war cruisers behind my mothership </font>

take another look Lord Khan

Azezil has it right,
    4 player 2 v 2 and unfortunately i got owned bad.
    (multi beam frigate's own you)

multi-beam frigets sux!
    now hive frigets are really annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Actually its very easy to just edit the settings so that all ships just take half the resource points(not adviseable on low end machines) they normally do just to have huge battles....

Hardcore strategy gamers look down on "realtime strategy" games such as Starcraft or RA2 (play Alpha Centauri and see why....). These are still brilliant games, but I would put them in a completely different category. Starcraft simply isn't Machavellian (if you don't understand this word then you don't know what strategy means).

[This message has been edited by Void (edited 02-06-2001).]
    </font>

I'd like to point out that while these games are excellent, they are a bit on the slow side for multiplayer.

• Advertisement

Soz for double posts but its in realation to diff.

How about we have 3/4 different games.

The ones which i think would be best, i only play 2 though

Red Alert(the original you n00b's)
    Total Anihilation
    Homeworld(either)
    Starcraft

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteLancer:
    Originally posted by Xithus:
    </font>
    Jag might disagree.

Jag, lol.. Have you asked him ? smile.gif

We are the armada gods.
    Me and Star would be more than capable of beating anyone at armada, Thats not a bold statement..

On the plus I cant hold even hold a gun in cs smile.gif

dont mean to seem like a big headed a.hole but theres nothing you could throw at us we wouldnt have seen before.. Or used before..Nothing!

What about Red Alert 1.. ?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Monty - the one and only:

</font>

To have a good game of armada you gotta have a good map (An open map - no bases surrounded by asteroids) And start with minimal resources, 3k Dilthium, 3k crew, 100 Officers.
    Those settings maximise the stra*** element of the game.
    Look for a map called 8ua3 or 8ua5.
    Going full on akira's or doubling up on someone would be sucide on those type of maps.

2v2 anyone ? biggrin.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xithus:

Jag, lol.. Have you asked him ? smile.gif

We are the armada gods.
    Me and Star would be more than capable of beating anyone at armada, Thats not a bold statement..

On the plus I cant hold even hold a gun in cs smile.gif
    </font>

Have you played Jag recently?
    He says he's getting coaching off some top class player's or something.

Actually its very easy to just edit the settings so that all ships just take half the resource points(not adviseable on low end machines) they normally do just to have huge battles....</font>
    You can do this on the original HW except of course your not changing rp just changing max number buildable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Twister

Have you played Jag recently?
    He says he's getting coaching off some top class player's or something
    posted by Whitelancer
    Listen Jag would not stand a chance against Xithus or Starscream! They would destroy him!When ever we are in Netshop Jag always avoids playing Armada! Cause if he plays Xithus or Starscream they will make sure that he will never want to play the game again!!! And that is the bottom line!!
    Oh no I know a dirty word!
    P.S I would like a game of CS Armada or RA 2!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I'll be up for RA2 AOE2/AOE
    smile.gif

Coaching, lol
    Unless someone in the clan Im in is coaching him I dont think Im gonna be beaten.

Nah, Jags pretty good at armada, And Im sure he'd beat most of ya's, But seriously no one can touch me or Screamy at the Game.

When me and StarScream go to Netshop to play armada, we usually play 3-5 vs 2 to make the teams fair, Thats no joke ask Jag.. or jug-a-lug whatever he wants to be called. smile.gif

Id love to play the original Red Alert, Or is it only games that need a P3 500 or above ?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

No seriously make it Warcraft 2, that game invented shroud bet ya didnt know that!

Advertisement