Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Seminar Thoughts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    http://www.boards.ie/cgi-bin/bulletin/Ultimate.cgi?action=agree

Boards.ie has it's own clear policies on how people are to behave on it's forums. Stick to those and you'll be grand.

</font>

a but this isnt like any other board, everything we say could reflect how people view us as a group, it seem some people havent caught on to the fact we are not alone here

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 31-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    Soula Evans said that DSL would be available in Dublin at the end of September and would be implemented throughout the rest of the country over the following 2-3 years. She indicated also that it was eircom's policy that fast Internet access should be available to everybody, everywhere in Ireland.</font>

No, that's not what she said, or at least, what I remember.

Eircom, when pressed, did not guarantee a rollout of DSL beyond Dublin. There was a specific question about that at the Q&A part. Soula said, that Eircom would assess the take-up of DSL, to make sure it was "economically-viable". She did not commit to anything beyond that. In effect, Eircom is promising nothing beyond the initial rollout (with no indication of price, or of who would qualify) in Dublin.

Soula had a quote about internet access for everyone, but it's not the same as what I remember. She said "she would like" to see Internet access available for everyone, because her job is to sell services. The more people connected via Eircom, the better it is for her. This she repeated several times during the meeting. I did not hear her say this was Eircom's policy, and certainly nothing about cheap access. But, perhaps she said something to that effect when I was attempt to ignore "redrum" messages I was hearing! wink.gif

http://babblogue.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maura:
    Soula said, that Eircom would assess the take-up of DSL, to make sure it was "economically-viable". She did not commit to anything beyond that</font>

Well at least we have it all on tape smile.gif

But yeah.. eircom are obviously going to tip-toe their way through DSL. I imagine trying to launch something in there is difficult when you have to negotiate your way through the minefield of possible damage to any of your other proven fixed-line revenue streams. The voice network deregulation over the past few years is proof of eircom's zero-risk strategy. We've seen every penny of price reduction on voice dragged out of them kicking and screaming under the pressure of competition. To think, if they had been intelligent enough to press on with DSL etc a few years ago they could have cornered the VOIP market and kept most of the voice competition off the patch. And their Nuas and Rondomondos would prolly be in the black at this stage too.

Dahamsta said:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Eircom should grow up and realise that the threats made against them - and everyone else for that matter - are simply people venting.</font>

I am seriously considering switching both my phone service and my ISP, so as to stop sending any more of my money to Eircom.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I wish they'd open a window and look out to the real world, and see the terrible damage they're doing, not just to people, but to our economy.</font>

As I wish I had said at the seminar, my own small business suffers from lack of reinvestment because so much of my income is frittered away on telecom charges. Gods, I've been logged in for an hour just reading this forum....
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">All they [Esat] had/have to do is inform the public. Take out an ad in the nationals, explain the situation. I could never understand why they didn't do that, it'd be the first thing I'd do. The only possible excuse is contracts, and if they signed NDA contracts on this matter, more fool them.
    </font>

I suppose the cost would be prohibitive for IrelandOffline to take out such an ad? To be based on the FAQ being devised?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I am seriously considering switching both my phone service and my ISP, so as to stop sending any more of my money to Eircom.

I was talking about the physical threats being made shortly before the seminar Yoda. which Eircom were getting in a huff about (and which they themselves are ultimately responsible for).

On this topic though, I used to have my phone service with Esat Clear/Fusion, and I was spending a good £150 a month with them, because I need to use the Internet a substantial amount off-peak. When they booted me, I booted them. When they start making an effort in public to advance processes, I'll go back to them, and not before. It's really quite easy to get me back as a customer. But it's up to them.

Gods, I've been logged in for an hour just reading this forum....

Yeah, my phone bill is going to be ludicrous next month. More irony, eh? smile.gif

I suppose the cost would be prohibitive for IrelandOffline to take out such an ad? To be based on the FAQ being devised?

Yeah, you would need serious wedge to go up against Eircom, because the only thing they are any good at is branding. Ireland Offline wouldn't have a hope against them in a marketing war. But Esat would, and that was my point.

adam

• Advertisement

As regards the seminar i would like to say well done to all conserned,i was unable to attend myself for personal reasons and feel i should not critisize anything because of my absence,but,i wonder if on the day if a petition with all the names of current members was handed over as tangable proof of the amount of people involved in this effort it might have added some palpable feeling to the guests of how we all feel,also now that the first step is taken could we all not start sending e-mails to the groups involved and get there attention from another prospective.
    these are my thoughts i hope they add food for thought,voyager.

I can only echo what has been said and further congratulate everyone involved.

Just remember ppl....3 months !!
    [3 summer months @ that!!]

User / Pressure / Lobby groups etc. most of the time spend years trying to even get a response from the root of their respective problems. The progress to date has been staggering. The meeting itself was never likely going to produce headlines in terms of any great revelations from the Telco's so ppl bemoaning the achievement is bewildering confused.gif

Also...
    This is a volunteer organisation [HELLOOO]
    The Commitee have employed imeaseurable time & resources into the campaign for no remuneration at all. They share the common goal of all of us and lets be thankful.

Dont look a gift horse in the mouth

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

[This message has been edited by 80project.com (edited 01-09-2001).]

I hope my previous post is not misunderstood i have nothing but admiration for all conserned in the running of this excellent lobby group,and agknowledge the fast and rapid growth in its popularity,i hope the true nature of its intent reaches those groups willing to provide what we all strive for (affordable 24/7 internet access)or better,eircom need to be woken up and let others who are willing lead the way,v-ger.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hudson806:
    Agreed. I'll volunteer to maintain a technical FAQ, assuming that people think it would be useful, and will actively contribute</font>

Very useful.

Particularily if IOffl is getting more politically minded, I at least will need the facts, to educate myself and the politicians I'll be hounding.

Just want to say well done on what you all have achieved so far and to remind you all that what really needs to be done here is to win the support of the everyday joe soap as after all almost 30-40% of Irish people now own somebit of Eircom after there recent investment an investment that most people are wishing they never ever made. If we can win the support of the general public and show them the potentials of profit that can be generated by Eircom if they lease broadband lines to 3rd party companys for internet based access and show them how many people is interested in obtaining such a service at a cheap rate whilst enabiling Eircom now a public owned company still to make a profit and make the public who it even happier. Eircom have for too long being providing a useless service for people like us and I commend all of you once again for your hard work to date ...

• Advertisement

Quoting from Eircom's recent shareholder circular:

"Eircon NI [northern ireland] is also participating in DSL trails in Northern Ireland and is well positioned to roll out DSL is accordance with OFTEL's schedule."

Advertisement