Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activism....

Options
  • 03-09-2001 12:37pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Martin in another thread said:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Could we use this sort of approach to get public resentment going and embarrass our politicians into doing something? </font>

Well, I was thinking about this (most of you know I have a knack for embarrassing people smile.gif )

It struck me that if we got a few irrefutable facts as pithy slogans together I know a TON of people who'll give us ad space on a wide variety of servers.

I'm thinking:
    "10mb Line. Sweden £300. Ireland £300,000"
    "YOU CAN BUY EIRCOM BROADBAND IN THE NORTH."
    "LAST COUNTRY IN EUROPE TO GET DECENT BROADBAND."

etc... Each one a simple stark red on white and after 10 seconds animates to "www.irelandoffline.com".

Pick 5 hard hitting facts and hit hard with them.

I know at least a dozen sites that have spare ad banner space (us included even with the new deal) and would be happy to hit back at Eircom.

Eircom may have a big heavy PR company but IOFFL have some things going for it that you can use.

1. Truth. no pr agency in the world can cover that up.

2. David v Goliath. Everyone roots for the little guy.

3. Eircom is a telco. Everyone hates telcos. In the league of most hated telcos, Eircom must surely top the list.

4. People are sick and tired of the bullsh|t.

5. Distributed people power. I dont think you can over stress the point. IOFFL has one thing in spades: goodwill of a lot of people.

Can we come up with 5 hard hitting *totally irrefutable* facts and embarrass people with them?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:
    "10mb Line. Sweden £300. Ireland £300,000"
    </font>

I think that one stat there sums up how pathetic the state of the interent is in Ireland (it is correct isnt it?!)

who knows someday before were all 6 feet under we will be able to get a deal like that now if you excuse me im packing my bags and am off to sweden smile.gifI wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Nice one Dev. Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

http://www.ireland.com/technology/index.htm

Another nice statistic smile.gif
    Poll - 95% of people voting believe that the government should act to make internet prices more affordable smile.gif

Another nice statistic Poll - 95% of people voting believe that the government should act to make internet prices more affordable

Nice idea but the fact remains the government dosent want any part of this arguement they know that to get involved will open up a totally new can of worms for example there are only 2 methods of reprimand that the ODTR can issue a fine (and a small one at that ) or the loss of a licence the latter we havent seen and wont see because the telco's here are too large an employer so the reality remains before we can see any sort of substantial change we need to change the government appointed mediation process, the government know this but at the moment the telcos are doing ok by themselves and why should the government pay for an infrastructure which they wont profit from when they can get the telcos to do that and then in turn let them cop the flack when it all goes pearshaped

Hence this is not currently their problem and in fact I doubt its even on the agenda

Your are correct in Lobbying the telcos and trying to push from the consumer point of view rather than the voter point of view, you will always be a consumer but youre only a voter when theres an election coming up.

Any hoo just a little observation I thought I'd share

PS where do I sign up

Getting the govt involved is a big headache alright. The whole thrust of their policy has been to 'liberalise' telecoms and let the market decide.

OK.. it seems to have worked for long distance voice calls.

However, for local calls and internet access it is clearly disasterous. The government have to accept this, cans of worms or not.

We have to get widespread public realisation that we are all captives of a private monopoly and this has to be fixed.

Hmm.. This situation must have happened already in another more progressive country and was dealt with? Such examples would be really useful.

• Advertisement

The government dosent have to accept this at all, this is the point that I'm trying to make, if you go to the government they will appoint someone else to do nothing, it isint economy affecting in their opinion as the lack of broadband services exists predominantley for residential customers, the business customers pay up and get their IP lines and their ATM circuts, as far as the government is concerned these services all ready exist which they do, but at outrageous prices.

Let me give you an example a particular cable company went off and advertised full broadband connectivity for a flat rate to the whole of the country then said sorry folks the research and developement has cost too much we can only offer the service to a handfull of people.

Did they loose their licence No, Eircom were supposed to have their complaints submitted to the ODTR for review and some of these complaints couldent even be persued as the details were wrong in the complaints, the ODTR is all well and good to the extent that the tribunals are its just a gesture nothing more the reality here is that the government is behind the telcos they are huge employers circulating millions in the economy

In fact people bend over backwards for them just look at Iarann Road Eireann and Esat

Advertisement