Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrlandOffline FAQ - questions needed!

Options
  • 01-09-2001 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Its been suggested on a different thread that we start to look at putting together a FAQ of sorts for the website, partly because it would help explain the situation to newcomers who stumble across the site, and partly because, with member numbers growing rapidly, there's now fairly regular repetition of certain questions on the forum.

Fergus and I have come up with a couple of questions below, but, obviously, 12 questions do not make for much of a FAQ.

So everybody, lets try to get the ball rolling by posting as many questions as possible below - anything that you feel could be usefully answered on the website. I guess we can worry about finding the answers later (unless you happen to have an answer as well wink.gif ) Perhaps we could post some of the tougher questions on their own threads later, and have everybody research answers or something.

And Martin, Niall, David, ELana et. al. - I wouldn't want you to think I'm going over your head with this - if any of you would like to take over with this (or kill it), feel free:

"This FRIACO.. is it or isn't it economically viable?"
    "What does an ADSL service really cost?"
    "Is Ireland too small a market to have proper internet access?"
    "What Broadband is available right _now_ in Ireland" (short answer wink.gif )
    "What Flatrate services are available right _now_ in Ireland?"(shorter answer wink.gif )
    "NTL are 'going digital' - does this mean cable Internet access is now available?"
    "When will Eircom be launching their DSL service? Where will it be available?"
    "What's this I hear about Satellite Internet access?"
    "Is home-brew DSL possible?"
    "Chorus just annouced Powernet again! Are they ever going to launch it?"

(Nice - Just noticed my spelling of IrelanoOffline in the Topic heading - which I can't change. Grrr.)

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 01-09-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Good start.. how are we going to update this.. procedure? Are you going to collate things from the board?

I'm gonna do some more research on FRIACO in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    I wouldn't want you to think I'm going over your head with this - if any of you would like to take over with this (or kill it), feel free
    </font>

Not at all- I think it's a GREAT idea.

The only thing about coming up with a FAQ on here is that it could be discussed and discussed to kingdom-come without conclusive answers to some questions. However, I think a FAQ or "glossary of terms" would be a brilliant addition to the website and I'll happily include it in my next update.

Good work, fella's smile.gif

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

Thx Lads for getting someting along this lines together. I spoke to both of you @ the seminar & was impressed w/ your knowledge of the technical aspects of the situation we're in smile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hudson806:

"What's this I hear about Satellite Internet access?"
    </font>

I'd definitley like to be informed throughly about satelite access. There seems to be a lot of conjecture as soon as any topic is posted to do w/ satelite. As far as I can see...This could be one of the most important pieces of technology going forward as it effectively bypasses some of the major problems (i.e.-€ircom & their lines??)
    It also provides services that require a lot less capital investment in infrastructure terms of laying lines etc. & may be most useful in the context of Ireland & for ppl like Martin, in some of the more far flung places smile.gif

Overall, there is definitley a need for an informed debate, as oppossed to just hear say & speculation as to what, when, how internet access will be develop in Ireland smile.gif
    An FAQ section thus is very important. Perhaps you should contact Niall w/ a view to incorporating it into the IOffline site & not just purley the boards!?

Actually disregard the last bit, Niall just jumped in before me :

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

[This message has been edited by 80project.com (edited 01-09-2001).]

Does anybody have any idea of when the local loop will be unbundled? Will will Ireland get ASDL? When will CIE get rid of the 1950 trains?

Well of course the local loop is unbundled... how about "Why isn't Esat in a hurry to put it's own kit in the exchanges so they can bypass eircom's charges"

• Advertisement

"How come eircom claim they don't have the capacity to cope with FRIACO if:

total fixed lines in ireland = 1.6 million
    bandwidth for one voice line = 8k
    bandwidth for every line in the country in use at the same time = 12.8 Gbps

which is peanuts in fiber optic terms.

Does it cost eircom more to post a bill to a customer than it does to supply the calls being billed for?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fergus:
    Does it cost eircom more to post a bill to a customer than it does to supply the calls being billed for?</font>

Whatever about that being the case, I had an interesting experience about 2 months ago.

I rang Eircom International Enquiries to get a number in London. The call lasted something like 1.5 minutes. I rang the number in London after that - it lasted something like 7-8 minutes. I made both calls around 5pm in the evening, during the week (not weekend).

The call to International Enquiries was MORE expensive than the call to London!!!!!!

Mike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

hudson, I presume I'm stating the obvious, but I think you should have a glossary as part of the FAQ, you know: DSL and all it's variants (and pseudonyms); VSAT; LLU; POTS; etc, all of 'em in nice, simple to understand terms.

adam

Does it cost eircom more to post a bill to a customer than it does to supply the calls being billed for?</font>

Nice. I wish someone had asked that at the seminar.

I'm not certain it belongs in a FAQ though - I'd hope that a lot of the people who read it would be 'ordinary' net users - don't forget that that something like 140% of these people think that Internet access isn't nearly expensive enough, according to Soula Evans from Eircom. wink.gif

How about I post one or two of the questions on a separate thread, and ask people to post some facts? I was thinking about the Satellite Access and Powernet ones
    . does that sound OK?

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    hudson, I presume I'm stating the obvious, but I think you should have a glossary as part of the FAQ, you know: DSL and all it's variants (and pseudonyms); VSAT; LLU; POTS; etc, all of 'em in nice, simple to understand terms.</font>

That sounds nice, but I really don't have time to do everything. If someone else wants to deal with the FAQ, I'd be willing to do this instead - its probably something I'd be better suited to.

Any takers? Please?

So everybody, lets try to get the ball rolling by posting as many questions as possible below - anything that you feel could be usefully answered on the website.</font>

I suggest dropping the use of such terms as FRIACO except in brackets. It's an intimidating experience for ordinary users.

I suggest putting together a ten page information pack, to include the FAQ and other appropriate background information on the campaign, and with the help of a sponsor make it available to the public on receipt of a stamped addressed envelope.

Question suggestions:

# What are some things I can put into a letter to my local TD or minister ? Could I have one or two sample letters as a guide ?

# Why are we still charged per minute when telecomms are supposed to be digital and most of the time there is little data flowing ? Why is it not like electricity which is always on ???

# What benefit is it to me and the economy to have FlatRate internet service ? What could I do that I cannot do now ?

# What benefit is it to me and the economy to have BroadBand internet service ? What could I do that I cannot do now ?

# Eircom say that a large percentage of the population have no interest in the internet. Is this really true ?

# Will my shares in Eircom suffer if Eircom have to invest millions in supplying FlatRate and Broadband to the public ?

#The Gov says Ireland is a hub of the Internet in Europe. If so, the what's the problem ?

I like the ideas, but I'm inclined to think that putting a FAQ of that sort together is the job of the c'tee - essentially those questions are IOffL policy statements, and as such fall outside of the remit of this FAQ.

Anyone from the c'tee care to comment on Smokin' and Chewin' Man's suggestions?

That sounds nice, but I really don't have time to do everything. If someone else wants to deal with the FAQ, I'd be willing to do this instead - its probably something I'd be better suited to.

Any takers? Please?
    </font>

There are sites already that give good technical expalnations for a lot of the technical terms and acronyms used in this group: the one I think is good is at www.whatis.com. Why not use refs these sites rather than 'reinventing the wheel'? unless of course you want to put the terms in an Irish context but you could still save a lot of time by including a ref to the basic technical description.

Looking for the Digital future

http://www.geocities.com/gerryh123

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cableskeptic:
    Why not use refs these sites rather than 'reinventing the wheel'? unless of course you want to put the terms in an Irish context but you could still save a lot of time by including a ref to the basic technical description.
    </font>

Yup, sounds good to me, although I think it would necessary to transpose it into an Irish context as well.

The fundamental problem is that, like everyone else here, I don't have time to do all this research myself. If I had to sit down and think up the 25-30 questions in the FAQ, research them and edit them, it would take me far more time than I have to spare.

That's why I'm posting all this stuff here - I could probably write answers to all of the questions posed here, but I just don't have time to research and write it up in a suitably FAQqy format and besides, there are real honest-to-god experts in a lot of these areas here who could produce much better material than I could (for instance, jmcc for Sat access)

So once again, everybody, please, just take one question (or think of one yourself that would be useful to newbies, media etc.), do a little bit of research online, and write up a brief (10 line or so) answer.

By my reckoning, we have about 15-20 regular contributors on the forum - if each of us just did 2 questions, the FAQ would be written by now wink.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Guys, back to basics first. This is supposed to be a newbie guide and the first question suggested is about FRIACO..?

Who are Ireland Offline?

Where did you come from?

Who pays your wages?

Why is broadband important to Ireland?

Isnt it just so webpages can go quicker?

Can the government make dispute go quicker?

Why doesnt the regulator act?

What can I do to help?

I'm really angry and I want to start a campaign, any advice?

Think of how someone just arriving here would need to know...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I'd be more than happy to give a hand with some questions etc.. I'm not claiming I'd be able to answer them all, but i do have a bit of time to research answers to technical questions, re ADSL, NAT over ADSL, cable, requirements, line testing, wireless etc...

Gav

Does someone out there have a permanently connected host? If so, we could run a WikiWiki for a bit to allow everyone to hack away collaboratively on an FAQ. Just an idea for a minimum overhead to kick this off..

http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?StartingPoints

DeVore, The questions you've asked sound great for the faq about IOffL - David Long (Dangger) will be looking after that one, as it really needs to be written by the c'tee. I've focused on the technical side for that reason (though the main reason I got involved was to get the ball rolling on the whole doumentation issue)

Hopefully Dangger will comment on your questions soon enough
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Verb:
    I'd be more than happy to give a hand with some questions etc.. I'm not claiming I'd be able to answer them all, but i do have a bit of time to research answers to technical questions, re ADSL, NAT over ADSL, cable, requirements, line testing, wireless etc...
    </font>

That would be really cool. The glossary is still devoid of anything about wireless and cable Internet and line testing.

If you could provide a description of how they work and why they're good or bad, that would be really cool. I'm thinking somewhere about 10-15 lines, just a primer for people who've not heard of them, but whatever you think is best... smile.gif

A three-liner about NAT for the glossary would be really neat too - now that you've mentioned it, I get the feeling that it could be asked about pretty regularly in the future...

If that isn't enough ( wink.gif ), it would be really cool if you could pad out Brendan's description of DACS, ISDN and AODI, too.

And thanks for getting the ball rolling again - I was dreading that nobody would bother to reply to my last post...

we could run a WikiWiki for a bit to allow everyone to hack away collaboratively on an FAQ. </font>

That sounds cool (though I don't have a machine for it frown.gif ). In the meantime, if anyone wants to see what we have so far, just drop me an email and I'll send it on.

• Advertisement

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 02-09-2001).]

Free free:

http://iewebs.com/~dahamsta/wiki/

Or not, up to you.

adam

ieWebs - Foot.ie

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smokin' an'chewin' man:
    I suggest dropping the use of such terms as FRIACO except in brackets. It's an intimidating experience for ordinary users.
    </font>

Fair enough. I think you are like me wanting to answer the more political / causal questions, rather than the technical ones. Though both areas are important.

I'm currently going through the CUT site. I would think most of the stuff is directly applicable here. Please look at:

http://www.unmetered.org.uk/mythbusters/mythbusters2.htm

Another Q idea: "Why was eircom privatised with a monopoly on the local loop, and a regulator with no power"

Free free:

</font>

Done. Incredibly enough, within 3 minutes of uploading the file I noticed somebody editing it. Brilliant.

Fergus - I've made a note on the FAQ page about the political side - David Long will be looking after that, but in the meantime any and all political questions may as well go in with the rest on the Wiki-Wiki thing above.

It's a good thing we've got humour:

http://www.unmetered.org.uk/news/news181098.htm

</font>

Spot on adam smile.gif))

may have already been posted cos its a wee bit of a basic one but anyway

"Who are Ireland Offline and why should I join?"

anyway, thats it for now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:

Why is broadband important to Ireland?

</font>

It's questions like these that I think are most important. Before we address questions like 'Is FRIACO economically viable' we should try to answer questions like 'Why do you want FRIACO in the first place?'

And an appropriate answer to that isn't 'So that my phone bill isn't huge'.

We should try to broaden the focus so that if people hit on the Ireland Offline website who aren't that savvy about what we've been fighting for, they'll still understand why it's so important.

There's a direct link between flat rate internet access, high speed always-on internet access, and progression in the economy.

We should try to put that into the perspective of the 'e-commerce hub' (hub of a square wheel at the moment) - bring up issues like home working, the mobile workforce etc. etc. and point out all of those 'end to end e-business solutions' companies whose offerings depend on the internet.

We need to shake the stigma that is 'pah - they just want more time online to download musak and nekked ladies'.

tongue.gif

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels:
    It's questions like these that I think are most important. Before we address questions like 'Is FRIACO economically viable' we should try to answer questions like 'Why do you want FRIACO in the first place?'
    </font>

We should answer both questions wink.gif. The more political questions will in time be looked after by Dave Long, but in the meantime, please add it to the WikiWiki at:

If you have the time to bash out an answer, so much the better - there's room for plenty at that site. smile.gif

• Advertisement

smile.gif
    Isn't Wiki fun

Advertisement