Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activism part 2

Options
  • 03-09-2001 1:06pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Wow, I really shouldnt have listened to RATM last night smile.gif

Here's another idea.

Humour.

I can tell you one thing that marketing companies are ALL trying to recreate is that illusive viral-marketing thing. You know, like ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

You can tell they'd love to have ALL YOUR TOYOTA CARS BELONG TO US go around the net with such speed.

Of course they cant because its advertising and they get no good will (besides, anything like that is always contrieved and rarely funny anyway).

These things are called Market Vectors, ie: a vehicle which you use to get your message to the marketplace. (look at the current spoof one for Hagen Daaz, www.pathtojoy.org).

What I'm suggesting is use comedy/humour to get our message around the place.

Thats the general idea, now comes DeV's suggestion for what might work...

There is a current thing for flash games. They're very handy for animation and for delivering a message.

I suggest we put the four main players (Mary O'Rourke, Eircom, Etain Doyle, and Esat) ,animated in a southpark fashion, in a scene like contestants of a gameshow. Lets call it "Dodge The Question!"

On a panel on the right you ask a series of multiple choice questions, each with an answer of Government, Eircom, ODTR, Esat

Sample questions could be like:

"Who is currently suing the ODTR?"
    If the person answers Eircom... the Eircom figure gets a weight dropped on it, or attacked by chainsaw or whatever and then returns unharmed (to show we dont REALLY want to hack them to death with chainsaws, ... well MOST of us dont.)

If they answer the question wrong then Eircom get a point for Dodging The Question!

We've some talented programmers and animators on boards alone, and something like this would both be a vehicle for education and a pointed message to those involved.

The questions and answers could be pulled from a centralised file online (I have this tech already) to ensure they are kept accurate and up to date. It might seem like a lot of work but I dont think it would be to be honest. Certainly not if 4 or 5 people got behind it.

Thoughts?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

"Who is currently sueing IrelandOffline for defamation?"

--

I'm just a little unsure about this one - we'd need to tread carefully.

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think Flash games have been done to death and people are starting - only starting, but it is detrimental to the campaign - to get hacked off with them DeVore. Effective viral marketing is reliant on originality (and stealth) as much as humour, so while a Flash game would be effective, something New And Improved would be much better. Take as an example the Buddy Lee stuff, which was hugely successful - we still have people even today falling for it - but you couldn't replicate it, it just wouldn't be funny. That said, I would be more inclined to go down that route than Flash.

Want to see how my twisted mind works? This is what I'd do:

Set up a spoof website advertising a fictional telco offering unmetered Internet access, several variants of broadband, CHEAP phone calls, new (fake) technologies and a par-tri-idge in a pear tree. Stick the link in all your sigfiles and on your websites, with no explanation. Make it cheap, simple and easy to understand. Don't explain any of the technologies. Lie, cheat, corrupt, mislead. Make it *real* easy to sign up. Get people filling in forms, send the input to /dev/null, and send autoresponses to them telling them the more people they sign up, the cheaper it gets for them.

That's viral marketing. It's nasty, but it works.

adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 03-09-2001).]

... oh ... as was pointed out to me at the seminar, Flash movies take an age to load on the slow Internet connections that we're all pissed off with... large games in particular.

(The guy who pointed this out to me was talking about the intro flash anim that I had on our web site, which I've since replaced by one half it's size).

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

... oh ... as was pointed out to me at the seminar, Flash movies take an age to load on the slow Internet connections that we're all pissed off with... large games in particular.

Only badly design Flash movies Bard. smile.gif

(The guy who pointed this out to me was talking about the intro flash anim that I had on our web site, which I've since replaced by one half it's size).

With a 15 second redirect. I don't get it. smile.gif

adam

Only badly design Flash movies Bard. smile.gif

er... I said "large games in particular" - by large, I meant large in file size. Any large file will take ages to download over a slow connection and while Flash is well known for it's relatively small file sizes, it's also known for being larger and slower to download than a standard HTML site, - especially on the type of Internet connections we get via dialup in Ireland.

With a 15 second redirect. I don't get it. smile.gif

I have to do a redirect anyway as the site isn't hosted on the server that the irelandoffline.com domain points at. The reason it's 15 seconds is to allow time for the animation that is on the redirect page to be read. People can always click the link to continue if necessary.

If enough people think it's cumbersome, I'll just zap all that and put an instant redirect on it.

Bard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

www.ideavirus.com, good book and its free in pdf form. Download it to get some idears if you want.

I wouldn't go with that game. Some of the people in it are on our side or seem that way.

A viral marketing idea though would work wonders.

[This message has been edited by yellum (edited 03-09-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I wouldn't think that's a good idea, we dont want to alienate everyone smile.gif

I do like the other thread, hit hard with the facts smile.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sooner or later we are going to have to get tough with the people who are supposedly on our side.

They are in our way and they really do have to be part of the solution rather then part of the problem.

ODTR should either get involved or get out of the ring. They are currently a time-sink and a distraction.

Mary O'Rourke may wring her hands and say theres nothing she can do... in which case I need to campaign for someone from Phylum Vertebrae.

Sorry, but a point will come where by we cant make the omlette without break some eggs and losing some friends.

This is why I aint involved with IOFFL directly because they will have to think about *when* a contact is more of a liability then a benefit and when to go over their heads, play hardball etc etc...

I dont much care who I p|ss off to be honest and I'm beginning to favour a direct approach.
    Lets see how Sept goes but after that its open warfare in my mind... because I want DSL in my X-mas box smile.gif

DeV.

DeV., Naughty, Naughty Too Much Gorilla Radio for you tongue.gif

The flash idea may be good for a bit of piss takin alrite just as long we dont it make libelous.
    I attempted something along that lines a few weeks back but it was a bit of a 5 min job
    Its located here...
    http://www.irishtimes.f2s.com/ioffline/ioffline.html
    Its also located on this thread....
    http://www.boards.ie/community/Forum18/HTML/000160.html

I've been thinking about following it up but time etc. doesn't permit.
    I just got Flash 5 myself & its pretty addictive re: doing stuff like that w/ cartoon charachetures etc.

Niall has plans for a screensaver which also could incorporate a bit of mickey taking if so desired wink.gif

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

[This message has been edited by 80project.com (edited 03-09-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:

Niall has plans for a screensaver which also could incorporate a bit of mickey taking if so desired wink.gif

</font>

To be honest- I think I should throw it open to you lot as a competition of sorts...

Create a screensaver and send it to me (making sure that it's SMALL in file size- Internet access is not fast or cheap you know... there's a campaign to get that sorted out though, - it's called... whoops... I'm rambling wink.gif )

Best screensaver (or maybe 2!) becomes the "official" IOFFL one and goes on our web site for download, along with a credit for the creator.

Please don't put them on the web and post URL's - just email me the screensavers (or URL's to them).

Bard

• Advertisement

If you give some criteria....

ie. what official logos should be included, file sizes, flash or non-flash, colour schemes etc.

I'll get working on one wink.gif

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

Dunno about whether it should be flash or not - best to produce a standalone ".scr" file for Windows ( feel free to send us Mac ones too... I'll get Elana to try 'em out smile.gif ).

Logos that should be used? ... anything from our web site is game there but try to make sure that you make use of our own main logo:

MainLogo2.gif

and preferably the snail also:

LoneSadSnail.gif

Re: colour scheme- try to stick to that of the web site... i.e.: black, white, green, yellow and grey.

And most importantly: file size - keep it as low as possible - preferably less than 0.5 Mb.

Bard

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 03-09-2001).]

Let the brainstormin begin wink.gif

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:

Here's another idea.

Humour.

</font>

na m8, stick with your other idea...

Hit em hard by embarrising the $hit out of em !! like what microsoft did 3 years ago wink.gif Did ya see how fast the government reacted to such a public slagging off smile.gif !!

Just read this over on the Phantom FM board and all i can say is HOW TRUE IS THIS?!?!?

Boy: Dad, what's politics?
    Dad: Let me set an example with our family. I have all the money so we'll call me the management. Mom receives most of it so we'll call her the government. We'll call the maid the working class, you are the people, and your baby brother is the future. Do you understand now son?

Boy: I still don't understand dad.

Dad: Think about it for a while son.

That night the boy wakes up because his baby brother is crying. He goes in and finds out he's soiled his diapers. He goes to tell his mom but she's asleep. He goes in to the maid's room but she's in there having sex with his dad. He bangs on the door but no one can hear him.

The next day...

Son: Dad I understand politics now.

Dad: Good, explain it to me in your own words son.

Son: The management is screwing the working class while the government is fast asleep. The people are being ignored and the future is full of ****!!!!!

sorry for going off topic but i seen "humour" mentioned!

Farls

Advertisement