Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Tribune 2 Sep 2001

Options
  • 02-09-2001 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

No coverage of the seminar as such, but Fergus Cassidy wrote this in his ETHOS column
    (Business Section P13):
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">CONGRATS to IrelandOffline on what has been acknowledged as a well-organised and timely public conference last week. Title "The Net Imperative - Improving Internet Access in Ireland", the platform included, among others, Mary O'Rourke (Minister for Public Enterprise) and Etain Doyle (the telecoms Regulator). Their presence indicated that, finally, the issues confronting net access in Ireland are beginning to be taken seriously. A Zeddy award on Thursday put the icing on the cake.

Although the seminar provided precious little in the way of answers, it showed that users of the internet are starting to stir and want strongly to have an input into what happens here over the coming years.</font>

He goes on to discuss current problems in the whole area of telecommunications and technology and then says:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It might be plausible to take Eircom's amazing statements at the IrelandOffline seminar - that people in Ireland become bored with the net or have little or no interest - as an off-the-cuff meaningless statement. But having someone dressed as a mouse appearing in television ads aimed at increasing internet usage gives a truer insight into the telco's view of its role in Ireland's technological future.</font>

Martin

[This message has been edited by o_donnel_abu (edited 02-09-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well spotted Martin...

I thought all we got was that nice picture of Elana on page 2 smile.gif

nice wee bit in PClive about Ireland Offline too... even got a small colour pic of the website smile.gif

and adam will love this.. its chock full of statistics this month!

More publicity for Ireland Offline please mr. editor

The PC Live article is very good actually.

BTW Niall,
    Theres a nice big screenshot of the website smile.gif
    Go buy it if you haven't already [Good pile of stuff on the cover cd-rom as well wink.gif
    (Sorry to get off topic eeek) ]

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

Heres the pic of Elana from the Tribune

elana-seminar-laptop.jpg

BTW: Dig that "Mp3 is not a crime" sticker

DAMN RIGHT wink.gif I'd love to tattoo that on Lars Ulrichs head tongue.gif

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:

BTW: Dig that "Mp3 is not a crime" sticker
    </font>

Hehehe...guess that takes some wind out of my sails every time I say that not everyone downloads MP3's using SNL :-).

E

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fergus:
    Well spotted Martin...

I thought all we got was that nice picture of Elana on page 2 smile.gif
    </font>

Like the "acknowledged as a well-organised and timely public conference" bit.

Bear in mind that this is a 'quality' newspaper, comments like this show the professional image we are creating smile.gif

Martin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ekehoe:
    Hehehe...guess that takes some wind out of my sails every time I say that not everyone downloads MP3's using SNL :-).

E
    </font>

Ok No more talking about downloading "you know what" wink.gif

Of course, "I use it for purely educational purposes wink.gif"

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

Advertisement