Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice good sirs

• 04-09-2001 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Put links on your site to websites that carry your banner, it will realy add an incentive to people with their own sites to put up your banner if they get splashed across a site with a swelling hit counter!

And the usual congrulations on all your good work, I'm sure you're a bit tired of hearing that now eh?

www.gamerseurope.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MarkMI6:
    Put links on your site to websites that carry your banner, it will realy add an incentive to people with their own sites to put up your banner if they get splashed across a site with a swelling hit counter!

</font>

The problem w/ that is content. By automatically listing sites linking to Ioffline, IOffline then in effect is responsible in part for the content that appears on that linked site. Obviously this could prove embarassing or misrepresentative if the site is promoting illegal activity etc. for example.

I dont think the burden should be on IrelandOffline to put up a list of sites carrying their banners up on their site. For instance I've featured Ioffline continuously since its formation on my own accord. You cant expect Niall then to compile a list of everyone featuring a banner and then monitor their content??

If anything was to be done, a list of associated sites may be porssible, but C'mon what do ppl want credit for?? If you put up a banner / link etc. to IrelandOffline your contibuting in some way to the campaigns objectives and IMO you dont need to be patted on the back in the form of a link back to your site smile.gif

OH & BTW 35,000 hits in 3 months, doesn't exactly sound like a Hit Counter needing much more swelling wink.gif

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

bleh

--

Suggestion appreciated, Mark- but I won't be implementing it. That's not what our site is about. It's an information based site about our campaign, not a link-o-rama.

If you want to find out what sites link to us, you can do a simple HotBot search.

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

[This message has been edited by corkie (edited 05-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by corkie (edited 05-09-2001).]

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    The problem w/ that is content. By automatically listing sites linking to Ioffline, IOffline then in effect is responsible in part for the content that appears on that linked site. Obviously this could prove embarassing or misrepresentative if the site is promoting illegal activity etc. for example.

I dont think the burden should be on IrelandOffline to put up a list of sites carrying their banners up on their site. For instance I've featured Ioffline continuously since its formation on my own accord. You cant expect Niall then to compile a list of everyone featuring a banner and then monitor their content??

If anything was to be done, a list of associated sites may be porssible, but C'mon what do ppl want credit for?? If you put up a banner / link etc. to IrelandOffline your contibuting in some way to the campaigns objectives and IMO you dont need to be patted on the back in the form of a link back to your site smile.gif

OH & BTW 35,000 hits in 3 months, doesn't exactly sound like a Hit Counter needing much more swelling wink.gif

</font>

Of course you can't list all sites and can't put up sites that promote illegal activity, but if someone e-mails you can says that your banner is on their site and their site is perfectly legal etc then why not? You'd see IOFFL banners on my site but the two others editors complained that we wearen't gettting anything in return and thus it was taken down.(2:1, majority verdict).

It's hard enough getting sites to affiliate with your own site so it's important that with a banner randomiser there are as little other banners as up as possible to ensure that the site you want to affiliate with is willing to do it. If their banner pops up 1 in 10,000 then there's little point is there? They won't get anything in return.

www.gamerseurope.com

Advertisement