Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrelandOffline ... offline

Options
  • 06-09-2001 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks-

Our web site seems to be down at the moment- seems to me to be a misconfiguration on the server itself, as not all sites hosted on the machine are offline, and traces and pings work just fine... I'll investigate the matter and keep you all posted.

Note:
    I'll also investigate the possibility of moving our web hosting elsewhere - if anyone has any suggestions, I'd welcome them. The only criteria are that it *must* support ASP (and so preferably be NT), *must* have only ONE FTP account assigned to it (for me to use to update the site), *must* afford me at least 50Mb of disk space, and *must* be as cheap as possible- preferably free, of course.

There's no guarantee here that I'm definitely going to move it to a new host- we'll see how things go. I'm just trying to keep all options open.

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 06-09-2001).]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

When/if you decide to move the site (and if Chilisoft ASP is acceptable), drop me a line. It would depend whether I upgrade my machine in the meantime (transfer is a bit icky at the moment, but I'll probably upgrade sometime soon anyway).

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

IRELANDOFFLINE is not offline any more!

[This message has been edited by corkie (edited 06-09-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Oh good- dunno what happened there...

May have been upgrade or maintenance work on the server ... strange that only half the sites on it went down, though.

Adam, your offer is appreciated. Chilisoft ASP *should* do the job - not having had experience of it before, I can't be sure. I'd have to be also able to use the fSo (file system object) and have access to an email component of some sort - the Perl FormMail CGI would be fine (for the sending of the feedback form). I'll hold off for the moment as the server seems to be behaving nicely so far - last night was the only 'glitch' - and it's on quite a fast connection.

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 06-09-2001).]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Adam, your offer is appreciated. Chilisoft ASP *should* do the job - not having had experience of it before, I can't be sure. I'd have to be also able to use the fSo (file system object) and have access to an email component of some sort - the Perl FormMail CGI would be fine (for the sending of the feedback form).

I have no idea of the capabilities of ChiliSoft ASP - I've never run it meself, and none of my clients use it either (thank god!) - but I'm told that it's not far off the real thing. It's not a port as such, since ASP is obviously proprietry, it's a recreation, but they've apparently gotten as near as dammit. There's probably a list of the differences on their website though.

As to other stuff you would require, I have no problem writing or installing componenent for you, although I would be using PHP where possible.

I'll hold off for the moment as the server seems to be behaving nicely so far - last night was the only 'glitch' - and it's on quite a fast connection.

No problem, just drop me an email.

adam

Advertisement