Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody got a RealServer we can use?

Options
  • 06-09-2001 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Soon I'll have about 3 hours of audio to make available on the web site (the recording of our seminar). Now this means I'll probably have to encoding it at low quality and chopping it into somewhere between 20 and 30 more manageable mp3 chunks before uploading it.

The alternative would be to encode it *all* as one RealAudio (.ra) file and lumping it up onto an RealServer so that it can be streamed out - i.e.: download as you play. Only problem there is that I don't have a RealServer available to me.

Can anyone help us out with this?

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 06-09-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

*hup*

... anybody?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm not sure I understand Bard, you can stream Real Audio from any server, just by using a meta file (.ram, or .rpm for embedded). Real Servers do the exact same thing, only better obviously. Most Real Servers are only used for high-end sites; and for copyright protection.

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    you can stream Real Audio from any server, just by using a meta file (.ram, or .rpm for embedded</font>

oh- are you sure?

if thats the case, we're fine wink.gif

/me heads off to download the RealProducer or RealEncoder or whatever they call it these days...

[Edit:] It's called "RealSystem Producer Basic 8.51" - Real.com don't make it terribly easy to find on their site...

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 06-09-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Yup, you just pop in the two files - the .ra and thr .ram - I used have some streaming from my uni account.

Deadly - thanks guys smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Eww, mp3, please. Damned if I'm downloading any of real's trash. :P

Dunno about anyone else, but I refuse to use real's stuff for any reason, maybe that's just me though and I'm part of a teeny little minority. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

oops, i interpreted your post wrong phaxx ... ignore this post smile.gif

[This message has been edited by nahdoic (edited 06-09-2001).]

AFAIK Phaxx,
    the encoded file that is streaming can still be d/l as a mp3 file. It should be conatined in the .rm file I think??

It is though not my fav format, although you can listen as you d/l. Its just cumbersome and real producer is royal pain in the...

W/ mp3 it means the file is on your hardrive for further use etc. I'd imagine the Real File would take up More space as well Niall, as it couldn't be compressed down to 8kps / 16kps ??

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

Ditto - will be using Streambox to download it properly anyway.

Sorry for delay on this but my son has been very busy all week and there's a lot of work in editing 3 hrs recording.

He's working on it right now, should be ready by weekend - in absence of broadband, guess I'll have to snail mail it to Bard then frown.gif

Martin

• Advertisement

Forgot to add that it's worth waiting for - bits I've listened to so far are really good smile.gif

Martin

If your son is stuck for time, Martin, don't mind helping (Soundforge does a lovely jubbely job of capturing, cleaning, converting and all that pretty much automatically)

Just an offer, wouldn't dream of stealing his thunder on it - great to have the thing archived. And available!

I'm not sure I understand Bard, you can stream Real Audio from any server, just by using a meta file (.ram, or .rpm for embedded). Real Servers do the exact same thing, only better obviously. Most Real Servers are only used for high-end sites; and for copyright protection.

adam
    </font>

I think you can only have a constant bit rate if you use http. BTW Real Server 8 costs $2000. Some ISPs do host real servers, but they're usually very pricy because of the bandwidth they need.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    AFAIK Phaxx,
    the encoded file that is streaming can still be d/l as a mp3 file. It should be conatined in the .rm file I think??
    </font>

The reason I'm putting it into RealAudio format is because it can be heavily compressed and it can be streamed - so there's no waiting for it to download.

I *may* also provide it in mp3 format. However, this means much larger and many more files and will therefore take a lot of time on my part encoding and (especially) uploading all the data;- time which I may not have, to be perfectly honest/blunt...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

It is though not my fav format, although you can listen as you d/l. Its just cumbersome and real producer is royal pain in the...

W/ mp3 it means the file is on your hardrive for further use etc. I'd imagine the Real File would take up More space as well Niall, as it couldn't be compressed down to 8kps / 16kps ??

</font>

Actually AFAIK RealMedia (.rm) files can be heavily compressed, with "Voice Only" quality, - and the file sizes are generally quite small. I'll just have to wait and see for sure exactly how I'm going to encode it all though - when I get the CD from Martin, I'll figure it out.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The reason I'm putting it into RealAudio format is because it can be heavily compressed and it can be streamed - so there's no waiting for it to download. I *may* also provide it in mp3 format. However, this means much larger and many more files and will therefore take a lot of time on my part encoding and (especially) uploading all the data;- time which I may not have, to be perfectly honest/blunt... Actually AFAIK RealMedia (.rm) files can be heavily compressed, with "Voice Only" quality, - and the file sizes are generally quite small. I'll just have to wait and see for sure exactly how I'm going to encode it all though - when I get the CD from Martin, I'll figure it out.</font>

Ah Bard, you old GUI slave you. Windows is making you soft man. MP3 can be compressed just as much as you like, same as RM (possibly more and/or with better quality, although I'm unsure of the technology comparisons). And MP3 files stream fine for me too. What are you running, Windows 3.1?

You just like playing with Real Producer, or whatever it's called this week, eh?

adam

Ah Bard, you old GUI slave you. Windows is making you soft man. MP3 can be compressed just as much as you like, same as RM (possibly more and/or with better quality, although I'm unsure of the technology comparisons). And MP3 files stream fine for me too. What are you running, Windows 3.1?

You just like playing with Real Producer, or whatever it's called this week, eh?

adam
    </font>

I actually don't like this RealProducer program much at all- not terribly impressive tbh...

Anyway- you'll have to excuse my ignorance - I haven't worked with streaming audio in a while... last time I did was managing 2FM's RealAudio broadcast from 1996-1997... and that was about it, really.

What would I need to stream mp3's from our site?

I'm running Windows 2000 on my own home machine, btw... and it runs beautifully. The web server is a solidly secured NT4 box, with every patch and fix imaginable installed.

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I actually don't like this RealProducer program much at all- not terribly impressive tbh...</font>

Most Real stuff used to be pretty good until they got big and started acting like the Beast. These days it's all "bundling" and "added features" you wouldn't touch with a bargepole.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Anyway- you'll have to excuse my ignorance - I haven't worked with streaming audio in a while...</font>

Neither have I.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">last time I did was managing 2FM's RealAudio broadcast from 1996-1997... and that was about it, really.</font>

Namedropper.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What would I need to stream mp3's from our site?</font>

Uh, why would you need to stream Real Audio from our site? Hello?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm running Windows 2000 on my own home machine, btw... and it runs beautifully. The web server is a solidly secured NT4 box, with every patch and fix imaginable installed.</font>

I'm running it too, and the UI is great but it's annoying the crap out of me. I think it's the bloody patches. I swear Microflot make the patches more and more buggy the closer they get to a new release. Then again, it could be a hardware problem, I went apeshot with the RAM in this rig. Either way XP isn't going next to near this machine...

Anyway, I'm rambling...

adam

I think the only good aspect of having real audio on the site is that ppl who casually surf on can listen to the seminar or other radio feature, there & then smile.gif

I think most IOffliners would prefer mp3 though so they could have it in their own archives!?

If we could have both that would be great smile.gif but constraints in space, time etc. exist.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    However, this means much larger and many more files and will therefore take a lot of time on my part encoding and (especially) uploading all the data;- time which I may not have, to be perfectly honest/blunt...</font>
    Niall, I know you're a bit of an "autonomous soul" tongue.gif, but if any of the editing could be outsourced or anything else needs assitance on- the offer of help stands smile.gif

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

i certainly want it in mp3 format.

any chance i can get the full 128kbs experience?
    i will pay cd postage etc, ofcourse.
    smile.gif

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    i certainly want it in mp3 format.

any chance i can get the full 128kbs experience?
    i will pay cd postage etc, ofcourse.
    smile.gif

</font>

Audio CD- 320kbs, Jewel Case, Jewel Cover.
    No Probs Chernobyl wink.gif

If I can get my hands on the whole thing smile.gif

Might be a bit of (tiny) revenue spinner for the campaign, Selling burned copies of the seminar. The media is cheap & we could charge a little extra if we included something like " £2 of the cost of this cd will go to the ongoing costs of IrelandOffline"

Just an idea...lets prioritise @ the mo though smile.gif

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Advertisement

Is IrelandOffLine funded just by its members?
    Surely they should get sponsorship from SME's, which would not be very hard, if you do a little name dropping for them.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    Audio CD- 320kbs, Jewel Case, Jewel Cover.

Might be a bit of (tiny) revenue spinner for the campaign, Selling burned copies of the seminar. The media is cheap & we could charge a little extra if we included something like " £2 of the cost of this cd will go to the ongoing costs of IrelandOffline"
    </font>

Hmmm, I could go for that - I'd rather that than download the thing and pay Eircom for it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    Is IrelandOffLine funded just by its members?

</font>

AFAIK

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

Advertisement