Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interest in ADSL

Options
  • 07-09-2001 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I had an Eircom ngineer at work today trying to trace a fault in an ISDN line. So, while he was poking around I mentioned ADSL, curious to see if I could get any gems of info.

His basic reply was that he didn't think there was any interest in it!! Curious about this, I enquired further. As far as he was concerned, Tony O'Reilly's consortium had all but bought Eircom. And he said that TO'R was interested in what he referred to as FWA(I presume it was WFA he meant - Wire Free A...)

Anyway, he mentioned Chorus(Princes Holdings), which TO'R is involved in and seemed to suggest that they were looking at a Powernet-type system all over the country eventually.

I never really got to find out his reasoning for discounting Denis O'Brien, but he reckoned that O'Brien had lost the deal anyway, so it doesn't make much difference.

His parting shot to me was that he didn't think that ADSL would take off at all!

Interesting, eh? Wish I had had more time to quiz him a bit further.

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The only reason adsl wont take of is if its priced too high. If its not priced too high and they push it the way they pushed their hi-speed hi-cost it will take off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">he said that TO'R was interested in what he referred to as FWA(I presume it was WFA he meant - Wire Free A...)</font>

Naw, he meant what he said. FWA is "Fixed Wireless Access", also known as WLL or "Wireless [in the] Local Loop". It's what Chorus would call PowerNet if they didn't flush loadsa down the toilet on marketroids.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">His parting shot to me was that he didn't think that ADSL would take off at all! Interesting, eh? Wish I had had more time to quiz him a bit further.</font>

I met an Eircom engineer with the same attitude recently, obviously brainwashed by management and the unions, but luckily they're in the minority. You see, the management and unions see it like this: If DSL comes about, that means they have to supply it to other operators (bitstream). If bitstream comes about, unbundled loop requests will be next; and if that comes about, it means non-Eircom engineers in the exchanges. That's the point of contention with them - they don't want anyone else in the exchanges, they see it as a threat to the jobs they represent. Which is rubbish of course, because the Eircom engineers will be poached good-oh from Eircom if LLU comes about. The conspiracy theorist will extend this further and suggest that the unions are "owned" by Eircom, but I think you all know I would never suggest something as terrible as that. smile.gif

The suggestion that DSL won't take off is right to some extent, in that it's a technology that simply doesn't appeal to the majority of users. This is the mistake they made, and continue to make, in the US and the UK - they thought pretty much *everyone* would leap at DSL, but a fair portion of users simply don't need it. They also didn't cater properly for availability and the cost of making it available - they over-subsidised the product, thinking they were being clever by following the hugely successful mobile trend, which doesn't apply here.

The DSL market can and will work, but only if they don't try and get ahead of themselves like they did in the US and the UK. The DSL market is very defined, it's wanted and needed by a select subset of users who understand technology and want to use it to the max, even if it's only for leisure purposes. All Eircom and the OLO's have to do is target the right demographic, play fair, and not try and pull the wool over users eyes, like they did elsewhere. Unfortunately, the telecomms market is so backbiting and b1tchy it's unlikely that'll happen. They'll learn the hard way, and what's worse, we'll be the ones to suffer the most.

Telecommunications providers are the most widespread example of what's wrong with big business. They've been infighting for years. They're like children for the most part.

</RANT>

adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 07-09-2001).]

More than well put, Adam, and some faultless points raised smile.gif

A very good summary.

I agree that it is a certain type of person that wants ADSL and I feel that to some extent the debate here has shifted away from reasonable priced universal flat rate access to ADSL.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">A very good summary.</font>

Thank you (both).
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I agree that it is a certain type of person that wants ADSL and I feel that to some extent the debate here has shifted away from reasonable priced universal flat rate access to ADSL.</font>

True, but it's bound to happen with the possible availability[1] of DSL looming, enticing users who are simply crying out for it. Yes, the focus has slipped a bit - more than a bit in fact - but it's forgiveable, and the resultant discussion is good, it's promoting excellent commentary and input.

Believe me, I certainly haven't lost sight of what I believe are more important goals for the general good, unmetered access for all and LLU, even more so because I live in Cork and the prospect of DSL is a damn sight further away for me. I guarantee that as soon as the current DSL situation settles down a bit we'll be right back to those topics.

I look forward to it. I need fresh ranting material. smile.gif

adam

[1] Remember folks, we don't know what's happening[2] behind the scenes. For all we know, Eircom and the ODTR could still be spitting in each others faces.

[2] Which brings up another point - why don't we know? Eircom are perfectly entitled not to disclose information to the public about DSL pricing, but the ODTR has absolutely no excuse. They represent us, the public, and we should be kept in the know of what's going on[3]. It's called transparency. How hard would it have been to post here, where a large proportion of the people most concerned with the current situation gather, on Wednesday evening, or yesterday, or today, and explain why the wholesale pricing promised to the public on Wednesdsay hasn't been released. The ODTR should be particularly ashamed of themselves when you consider the complaints they made themselves about missed deadlines. Try to remember who you represent please Ms. Doyle. It's not Eircom, it's us. We pay your wages, and we can bloody well take them off you at the next general election. Believe me, I'll add it to the - extensive - list of complaints I have ready and waiting for when those TD's call to my door.

[3] With the obvious exception of details that are covered by fair non-disclosure agreements.[4]

[4] Hey, look, my addendums are getting bigger than my posts!!! smile.gif

• Advertisement

Can I be Propoganda Minister? smile.gif

adam

Have a read of that. Summarised as lower DSL installation costs passed onto the customer

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/jaymz10/php3/openframe.php3?page=newnews/newsarticle.php3?id=2932

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    Can I be Propoganda Minister? smile.gif

adam
    </font>

The Irish Joseph Goebbels tongue.gif
    Sounds good

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

Advertisement