Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaking of caps...

Options
  • 04-09-2001 2:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I love annoying you guys and gals with this stuff...

Kingston caps ADSL usage for new service

Kingston Communications in the UK are capping their DSL service at 700 megabytes a day. And there's war over it...

[That's about 20 gigs a month btw. And Chorus wireless customers are supposed to be capped at 3, although Chorus haven't figured out how to turn it on yet.]

adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 04-09-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i wouldnt argue with 20 gigs a month.
    I would with 3 gigs though. mad.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pertinax:
    i wouldnt argue with 20 gigs a month.
    I would with 3 gigs though. mad.gif
    </font>

Yes 3 Gigs is a bit restrictive but if you are using the net for genuine use, then a home user should have no problems with 5 Gigs cap per month.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

wtf is "genuine use"???

are you one of these smart esat marketing people who thinks that using bandwidth is dishonest and evil???

im afraid that if I got dsl id find it hard to stick to any cap. we would all be doing things we dont/cant do now like visiting bandwidth heavy websites, downloading HUGE files smile.gif and then some.. if the cap is going to be used, it must be sky high. I think I'd rather stick with 56k than rent an dsl product with a 1gig cap (and no doubt a hefty monthly rental).

genuine use=no warez.

you want warez access and no caps, then get 2 way or even one way SAT.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Advertisement

is argue against any cap, because once you give in you havent a leg to stand on, if eircom is allowed to get away with a cap they every one will, at the moment 10 gig is more then enough(what chorus say there dublin cap will be) but you dont know what it will be like on broadband, i was talkign to me cousin awy in one of those european countries with adsl, i think holand. anyway he said he handnt ever realized the power of the internet still he got adsl, he goes on if for anything, and everything. if he wants info on something there he goes.

you could find yourself downloaded 10gbs in a month no problem,

Anyway ill be keeping ntl, they have a phyical limit of 4 gbs a month

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">genuine use=no warez.</font>

It may surprise you but not everybody downloads warez. Theres plenty of other large files and other stuff that would generate lots of traffic.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hecate:
    It may surprise you but not everybody downloads warez. Theres plenty of other large files and other stuff that would generate lots of traffic.</font>

Then dont get ADSL/Powernet etc.
    tough.
    The caps will stay.
    Its already happening in America so it will happen here.

And as for "not everybody"
    well most traffic would be warez, if there were no cap.
    thats for sure.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

Advertisement