Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are you from??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

southside cork city. about 1.5km from my exchange (road distance - not as crow flies). again loads of hills to make wireless a problem so either satellite or what sctv are going to offer is my best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Any of the Cork people able to see Pairc Ui Caoimh area ? I can see lots of the Northside from where I am positioned across the river near the Pairc.

Just thinking of a point to point wireless connection. Dahmasta, want to share your sat connection ? wink.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Any of the Cork people able to see Pairc Ui Caoimh area ? I can see lots of the Northside from where I am positioned across the river near the Pairc. Just thinking of a point to point wireless connection.</font>

If you can see the telecom tower up in Kilmore Road (Knocknaheeny), you're in with a chance I reckon. That's a prime location for a wireless station. If someone stuck a tower up there, they'd cover most of the City, and a fair bit of the county as well.

Chorus were talking about putting one up in that area, but then changed their mind and decided to put it up by the airport. And of course then they changed their mind again and put all the equipment in a shed (or so a Chorus rep told me, unbelievably). They actually have something running for wireless leased lines though, so I'm guessing it's in their MMDS compound up by the airport.

Esat's station is on top of the R&H Hall building, on the quay down by the Marina Commercial Park, but again they only supply wireless leased lines. It seems like a strange location to me, but I guess it's a way of negating line installation costs for SME's in the City, especially for those that aren't near Esat fibre. If Esat decide to roll out a PowerNet style service though, that would probably be your best bet (if you can see the building of course).

The "wireless leased lines" - I laughed when a Chorus rep tried to sell that to me after they pulled out of PowerNet in Cork - are totally overpriced though, especially when you consider it's the same technology Chorus are supplying to home users in Limerick for a fraction of the cost. It's just another demonstration of the greed in the telco marketplace, like Educom saying they'll only supply businesses initially. It's just pure anti-competitive market control. Whatever about telecommunications regulation, I'm amazed the Competition Authority doesn't at least make a little noise about it.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Dahmasta, want to share your sat connection ? wink.gif</font>

Well, I don't have it yet, but if Educom don't try and screw me with the multiple PC connection - I don't want it - and I get a cheque from a client next week, I'll be ordering on Wednesday or Thursday (although you can be damn sure I'm not paying them the whole lot up front - we've all learned a lesson from Chorus in that respect down here). If you were prepared to pay for the wireless equipment and a relative portion of the monthly cost though, you'd be welcome to it.

I'm not in the best location for wireless though, if I was going to do it I'd have to tie in with several people, to act as repeaters. And if I was going that far, I'd set up a business/co-operative and do it properly. Anyone wanna invest? Stick it to the man? ("Nah, that's alright Eircom/Esat, I got my own connection while I was waiting for you to take your finger out of your ar5e. Take your DSL and shove it where the sun don't shine, buster." smile.gif)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Might as well get used to a 56k dial up at work (30 mins to download 1.3mb aaargggghh) and ISDN at home (£70 every bill for rental my wife is going spare I've had to give up beer, narf)

BTW If anyone is considering BEAM you better check the prices 1st - We were going to take the franchise for installation but the costs were HUGE

Advertisement