Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well, TBH, I think it was a bleeding disgrace that the CPL asked Z to remove the settings. There was no rule banning them. They are simple settings in the half-Life Engine that can be turned on or off. If the games developers wanted them restricted they wouldn't have enabled the console commands. And what makes it worse is that it was moaning from journalists and other clans that got them removed, the CPL hadn't even noticed them.

1 of the few things the Americans could teach us is how to be anal when it comes to rules, EuroCPL must look across the water for a standard to base themselves on.

Rules Apply?

However while reading over the cpl rules i found
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> CPL rules:
    Also no aliases or bind commands designed to disconnect from the server, ping the server, or to crash or in any way interfere with client or server performance are allowed.
    </font>

[This message has been edited by PHB (edited 16-05-2001).]

They weren't an alias or a bind if ya wanna get all technical.

Besides these commands are already set in game regardless. All u r doing is changing them from on to off or vice-versa.

I am sick to death of CS in certain aspects. When talking about players people have to distinguish between tweaking CS and cheating in CS.

Cheating is when you break rules or use an unfair advantage to win which is against the rules.

Tweaking is when you use your config to best possible advantage. Unfortunately no tourney/CPL event has cast this in stone and said where the line is. The problem was with the last event in the rules page is that if the command ain't listed it shouldn't be used. Unfortunately all the these quake lads have a lot to learn with CS, and CS is a biatch to run.

First thing should be get a few people from the top clans and decide what's fair and what's not. Write the rules in STONE. Stick to them then. Z at the CPL looked like they were using low rates but actually were using low ex_interps.

So my view is WRITE THE RULE BOOK. If it ain't in it, it's illegal and delete it, no comprimise. Write it into the rule book after the tourney if needed.

As neutron said CS was for net play and it took these settings to find to improve the LAN performance of CS. My thought is either ban it or keep it [which I prefer but it think should be fixed for an event tourney] because you want the best players using the same game.

Like the difference between these guys on LAN and NET play was noticable for a lot of clans. There is so much tweaking in a NET game. It's like a decent player in a Ferrari and a super player in an Arrows. The CS didn't impress me at all in Holland. The Quake3 did though. They have far better aim as they don't tweak it as much [as rules have been set].

prolly forgotten loads of things .. but nm .. tired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    They are simple settings in the half-Life Engine that can be turned on or off. If the games developers wanted them restricted they wouldn't have enabled the console commands
    </font>

yeah i used to think the same thing about quake, but theres so many commands that can be used to give yourself an unfair advantage that i think the game developers didnt really want people to know what the console was, i could give you an example in counterstrike (and ive only been playing cs the last 2 weeks or so)

run hl.exe with about 10 "+wait" commands in the cmdline, then join an internet game, press esc, click "resume game" , and you can suddenly see through most doors and boxes.. (they flicker)

also, when you use awp like this in zoomed mode, you can basically see full screen instead of "through the telescope" view, makes it much easier to shoot people.

theres also a ****load of other commands like polymodelstats (in quake, and i know that halflife has its own similar commands too), basically it tells you how many polygons are being rendered every frame,
    so you can easily tell when youre near an enemy in a multiplayer game because the polygon count jumps suddenly.. you'll NEVER be caught looking backwards while your enemy tries to rail you from 2343 miles away again..
    ive only said 2 commands, i know a lot more(especially in quake, but most of them have equivalents in halflife), im not saying them here because if i did, id just get accused of using them myself by some ****er on a server (im totally new to cs and ive already been accused of cheating, and every time ive seen quozl play some spa on the server says hes cheating, some ****ing lol)

• Advertisement

I stumbled across the +wait / esc / resume one as well a bit back. It's like the seethrough hack from what I've heard but flickers too much and is irittating. Also the amount of map bugs is naff also. It should be CS Beta 2 as that's as far as CS have gone with it :/

I don't think that there console commands should have been disallowed :/

try this (it works in counterstrike too)

gl_playermip 9

basically white models for everyone, one snag is that teammates are white too, but as you can see teammates on your radar, it doesnt really matter, you'll know its an enemy
    Besides these commands are already set in game regardless. All u r doing is changing them from on to off or vice-versa
    </font>
    well gl_playermip is also already set in the game regardless of whether you set it or not, its default is 0, but you can make it higher if you want

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 17-05-2001).]

read some of that thread,
    a post by zibbo (one of the makers of qizmo proxy for quakeworld) caught my attention..
    All 3d engines made after QW have amazing amounts of extra latency, which has nothing to do with your net connection. Ever heard of old QW veteran whining about how in QW everything worked exactly how it was supposed to, and what you saw was what you got? I thought so..

This is what causes it: In QW only place where information moving between client and server is waiting to be processed, is when client is drawing a frame. With 72fps, this causes maximum of 28ms extra lag (0-14 when sending, and 0-14 when receiving)

In CS with default settings however, client sends information only 30 times/second. This causes 0-33ms extra lag. Server sends information to client only 20 times/sec. Add 0-50ms extra lag. Client receives the information, but decides to wait 100ms before displaying it, because everybody knows that players want to see enemies smoother rather than sooner. And when you add that same 0-28ms lag which QW also had, you get maximum of 211ms extra lag even when playing in LAN.

Situation is pretty much same with Q3, except it has only 50ms interpolation lag.

CS tries to fix these problems with lag compensation with reasonable success, but still, what you see is _not_ what you get.

Why game companies decided to throw the best system out of the window is beyond me. It sucks, and as long as there is anything I can do about it, I won't have it.
    </font>

the above is actually the main reason Strider(qw players will have heard of him, q3 players might have too) went back to playing quake1

You play much CS or thinking of playing a bit in the future Koopa ?

Just there's a semi-pro Irish clan starting I believe and looks good [with a few sponsors]. Quake's dead baby, Quake's dead biggrin.gif

#|3|

[ 3@clan-numbers.co.uk ] [ www.clan-numbers.co.uk -[Clan Numbers]-

• Advertisement

haha, quakes still alive, theres loads of people on barrysworld duel servers every night.. the main reason i play cs at all is because loads of quake players were constantly telling me to try it out (even bunny!)
    cs is fun, but i still prefer quake

as for sponsored clan, thatd be cool, is that an offer? (<ol> wahey!)

How can I contact ye .. chans or email

emotion@oceanfree.net

im in #quake.ie when im online, just send a private message and ill get back to you (usually soon!)

Advertisement