Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bass and small flatties?

• 16-07-2001 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭

Well there are plenty of schoolies around Wexford, but haven't caught
    any biggies. Did hear that some people are, but they are using small
    live flounder (about 2/3's the size of a cigarette box) as bait. Now I
    don't know if this is considered a) legal, and b) ethical. If that is
    what the bigger bass are feeding on in Wexford Harbour, any good
    ideas on catching them?

cheers
    Jd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

live bait is commonplace in alot of countries Ive fished in but haven't heard much people at it in Ireland really. I'd do it ethically and Ive never heard of it being illegal like.

_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _
    <A HREF="http://homepage.eircom.net/~cullenm&quot; TARGET=_blank>
    sig.jpg
    </A>
    http://run.to/pile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If there is a minimum size restriction on flounder then its illegal... would have to check it out.
    I don't entirely disagree with livebait fishing in general. I have used a lot of different livebaits, from ragworms and sandeels to small rockfish. They're a lot more productive in most cases, the wiggling ragworm will catch the bigger pollack, the free swimming sandeel will get the biggest bass (use no weight) and a conger will not refuse a free live rockfish, part of his staple diet.
    However, I would not feel comfortable fishing with flounders that small, maybe because i'm used to throwing back all the baby fish i caught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭jd

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Illkillya:
    If there is a minimum size restriction on flounder then its illegal... would have to check it out.
    </font>

There *was* a 12" restriction in angling contest at least. I wonder is there some other approach I could use. Caught small bass in ragworm in wexford, and people are picking them up trolling spinners from boats.. Maybe I should use my engineering skills to design a lure that looks like a small flattie
    mm
    jd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i think Kilty Lure from Clonakilty have a lure that looks like one... its flat and bronze and shaped like a baby flatfish, but i think it spins upright so it wouldn't cause the same vibrations... unless u flicked it along the seabed or something

Advertisement