Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What game most disappointed you recently?

Options
  • 14-06-2001 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

I was just reading Peter Molyneux's postmortem of Black & White on Gamasutra http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010613/molyneux_02.htm and taking my lead from Adnans thread I pose the question:

"What game most disappointed you recently?"

Oh, Black & White was my pick, in case you didn't guess...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭cueball

Half life blue ****, read topic on Halflife board "blueshift" for my reasons

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Tribes 2 - I feel utterly betrayed by it's poor and inexcusable quality.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Star Trek: Dominion Wars

WWIIOL (only I wasn't dumb enough to buy it).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

yeah, BlueShift is utter ******. i was also let down by Tribes2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Tribes 2 undoubtedly. It's pants. Great big elasticated pants...

... And I wouldn't mind, but it could have been SO good.

• Advertisement

T2 would be a whole lot better if they didn't give into the whiney cheapskate gamers who think that state of the art software should run on thier 4 year old POS machine.

I haven't really gone back to it since they put the fog in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Tribes 2 and Gangsters 2, both were very poor compared to what I'd have expected from the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Black & White for me as well.

After all the hype (perhaps one of the most hyped games ever, certainly on PC), we are presented with an over-priced, unfinished and flawed game.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Dakitana

And where's Prey ?

Nil Desperandum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

black and white for me too , its alright but it definently didnt live up to all that hype.

And cueball , blue shift shouldnt even be considered a game .. it was only meant to be a short add-on in the first place. And besides , i know you didnt even pay for it so youve nothing to be whinging about.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And where's Prey ?</font>

Canned long, long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

FF 9 frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Tribes 2.

Haven't played black and white so I can't comment on it. Yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

recently i bought civ 2 call to power!

me thought it was goin ot be better BUT IT F U C K I N G SUCKED ASS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

black and white is the first of its kind in regards to gameplay and innovation and set the standards for any other games to follow.

tribes 2 on the other hand... im sure its playable when you get a uber 3d graphics card. thats the only way you can enjoy the game. i wont badmouth the game cause i know i'll play it sometime when my pc can handle its "powah" smile.gif untill then im disappointed to the core.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Would have to be Black and White. Severance and Oni were disappointing as well.

ThunderingMike Thus conscience does make cowards of us all, And thus the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, And enterprises of great pitch and moment, With this regard their current turns away, And lose the name of action... Nows that's a sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

most definatly Black & White, mainly because of the (probably unjustified) hype and buzz that lead up to its launch.

But after playing it for a while it's just so underwhelming that you end up leaving it. Plus it's as buggy as hell.

Tribes 2 was worth the wait though smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Proabably Gangsters 2 , or Dominion wars , i was truly suprised at the condition that was in . Also Im not sure if many people will get this , Merchant prince 2 was a big dissapointment. I remember Merchant prince in about 1993 it was a fairly visionary trade management sim ,To use a cliche it was "Oldskool" , My friend got Mp2 a day ago , and from what Ive seen its the exact same , new map tiles and thats it , the EXACT same , avoid folks

also I found oni a bit of a letdown , got boring fairly lively but it wasnt bad by any means ,Sev was brilliant though smile.gif

Shrewgar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Black and White. I could have bought 3 GOOD games for £45. It's not too bad, it's a bit like the sims, unless you're a crazed control freak, you'll get bored with it after you've fiddled around with all the gubbins.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ThunderingMike:
    Would have to be Black and White. Severance and Oni were disappointing as well.
    </font>

I liked Oni, but I think if they had made a good multiplayer version of Oni nothing else would of gotten a look in. Imagine CTF, you come running in then somersault over the person on guard, grabbing thier head and snapping thier neck on the way down then picking up the body and throwing it at another person coming at you. biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 gintyc

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smoke-me-a-kipper:
    yeah, BlueShift is utter ******. i was also let down by Tribes2.</font>

Half Life Blue Shift is not out here and we have not even being given a Release Date for it! Allthought it is out in the States now.

http://www.theirishgamer.com/

[This message has been edited by gintyc (edited 16-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Blue Shift is out, I saw it in EB yesterday.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Half Life Blue Shift is not out here and we have not even being given a Release Date for it!</font>

Released yesterday in fact. Sierra review copies went out on Monday.

The problem you're probably having is that Sierra/Vivendi are the most useless pack of eejits on the planet when it comes to setting firm release dates etc. We got told only a fortnight beforehand when Tribes 2 was going to be in shops... Everyone else sets release dates months in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

"1608", a game I bought last year. Nice graphics and game play but tedious as hell adn goes no where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

B&W
    Also remember Star Trek: Star-Ship Creator?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

C&C 2 ok it looks good but it's shíte! a great series then this crap!

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Apart from most of the games here, with the exception of Oni which was fun but had lost potential my biggest disappointment purchase-wise had to of been Soldier Of Fortune

Crap graphics, crap gameplay, crap weapons, crap body location damage, ugly colours, characters were as dehumanised as possible. Tackling spacemen in kosovo didnt do it for me mad.gif

I like my coffee like I like my women.......
    In a plastic cup

I like my coffee like I like my women......
    covered in bees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Project IGI...
    Expected so much... let down by crappy AI, and an allround unfinished feel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

IMHO Black and White was a great game, but hardly the jaw-dropping gaming revolution we were expecting. If it had been as good as the gaming mags made out it would probably have ended all wars and be awarded a Nobel peace prize. Not so much disappointing, just a bit "very nice, next please".
    Daikatana!? I cannot believe Dire-katana made it into that list. Cmon lads by the 397th time it was delayed u must have realised something was going on. Even the screenshots looked ****e.
    Most disappointing game has to be Blue Shift, I can forgive Sierra but Valve have no excuse after HL, the same of Gearbox after OpFor. Buy it, in fact buy every copy, so we can melt them all on a big fire and wipe Blue **** from our memory. Amen.

It's not what it looks like, I can explain...

Advertisement