Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over Priced Games >:|

Options
  • 18-06-2001 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Dont u think the games are getting real dear these days ? I just cant find myself to buy a PS2 game at 60 quid a go.I know the game might tbe fúcking class but 50-60 quid is really a lot to ask from us.The high prices in games i belive does lead to piracy i am ashamed to admit that i myself have a couple of pirated games but i rather take the risk of it not werking costing me a fiver or spend 45quid on a brand new one. Money doesnt grow on trees u know

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Well I don't have a PS2, but now that you tel me the price, I think that's a disgrace, but did you ever think that they could be that high because of piricy, maybe too many people copying games, and nmot buying orgional's therefore leading to less profit being made, but I buy PC games and I thought the B&W games was quite heafty price, raging at £45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Ray , thats just the PS2 games , which are ridiculously over-priced , and most PC games are still around 40 quid nowadays , but BnW was an exception , pity it was shíte eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Lets not forget £65 for Conker's bad Fur Day either.

Whereas that sort of price is ridiculous, companies have been posting huge loss in profits and they have to get the money from somewhere. I read that something like only 1 in 10 games end up making a profit as well.

Compared to films, where you'll pay a maximum of £25 for a DVD, its ludicrous. You may get more enjoyment out of a game, but nto enough to justify a price tag double that of a DVD's.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Prices of games are increasing. The latest Dune game is £40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Is it published by EA?

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun:
    Is it published by EA?

</font>

Not sure, unless they bought out Westwood Studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

PS 2 games ARE a rip off, actually if you recall so were PS 1 games when they came out, I can remember Formula 1 being £49 Egghhh.

PC games still represent good value for money, especially as some of them drop price so quick (Magic and Mayhem anyone at £4?, Messiah at £5). Black and white was an expection (for lots of reasons) at £45. I know I've gotten value for money out of games like Starcraft, UT, Sudden Strike and Half Life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

Probably did, they buy out every one else.

Miaow.

Lucy la morte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭RAY

The only game that i thought was worth the hefty price tag which was FF9(£50) which is a fécking exellent game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭RAY

Well the title is kinda misleading im talking about games in general are very dear and i cant find the money to go out and buy a game infortunately for me my parenst are the ones that thinks computer games are E-V-I-L and should be thrown to hell and burned. So wtf can i do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

[yoda]
    High prices lead to piracy : piracy leads to high prices : high prices equalz fag9t
    [/yoda]
    Even the old SNES and Megadrive games were a rip-off... I recall a few years ago, the megadrive released some crappy racing game with some span-fangled new chip in the cartage... charged something like IR£75 for it.
    I wouldn't imagine they were charging that price because it was being pirated.
    They just want to sell it for as much as some idiot is willing to pay.
    Just out of sheer principle - I won't buy any game over £50 EVER (with the possible exception of Mario Kart (£55) for the SNES, but that was worth every penny smile.gif)
    That's also the reason I don't yet have Black & White... I'm not paying over the accepted norm for any game. (accepted norm being £35 - £40)
    I've bought so many utterly cràp games for £40-a-pop (how can they sleep at night?)... as far as piracy goes, some companies get what they deserve for pouring out shoddy games and charging the earth for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

ps2 games r £49.99 in smyths in galway m8

This device complies with part 15 of the PCC rules. Ooperation is subject to the following two conditions:
    (1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and
    (2) This device must accept any interference recieved, including muppetry from muppets which may cause undesired operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I think even more than the fact that it was overhyped and that the pace of the game was way off, the oh-so-high price of B&W really contributed to my disapointment with it. frown.gif

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

i think, if theyre really overpriced, don't bother buying them, its not worth more than £30 for a game, and to make it worse, these cheapassed ps2 games arent exactly "good", most have been getting 2/5 reveiws, so my answer is dont be arsed with the ps2 for at least another 6months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Sure, games are overpriced, but why dont we just wait a little bit and then buy them???

Ok - I bought Black & White for £40. In Smyths, Cork actually. It was £45 in Game and Virgin. Tip 1, shop around.

If you wait a little before buying games, you can be lucky. I bought Starlancer yesterday for £12.99 from Virgin. I was tempted to get it a while back for £35. I also got Insane for £15.99.

Whereas games are expensive, they come down in price very rapidly! Any nonessential but wanted games should be waited for - it pays off. I saved £25 by waiting for Starlancer - enough to buy Tony Hawks II.

That is my 5 minute guide to cheap gaming.

--Chris--

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah but chris_59375093710 the thing is for games on the PS2 the price of the good games will take fúcking yonks to go down

aka. ray

I don't think a ps2 is worth getting( at present) because the games are not worth £50, when you think about it, that's a lot of money. And there isn't yet any good games for the ps2, at least wait until the release of the gamecube& the Xbox before you get all excited. Sony will be more competitive, therfore trying to be cheaper than its competition, and if thats so, the ps2's price will have to drop to about £250, to compete against nintendo

i hate you guys......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Don't expect the price of games to fall that much, if at all. Sony won't have to drop the price of games to be competitive seeing as Nintendo now have the policy of low-price consoles, and high-price games.

As far as I know, in the UK Sony are now bundling a game with the PS2 and selling it for £299. I'm not sure if we're going to see a price-cut though - apparently the reason was to bring the pricing in line with other european countries.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris_533976:
    Sure, games are overpriced, but why dont we just wait a little bit and then buy them???</font>

'Cos people are impatient...

Nah, good point. I got Grim Fandango and Thief II all for under 30 quid at the weekend!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Well i saw this somewheer saying Sony might be dropping £50 off PS2 to compete with the X-Box

aka. ray

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

oh well **** happens... i noticed after 3 years of buying new consoles, games and accessories for them that well just **** them all to hell... too ****ing much money... and i dont even play all these old games n e more...

- Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Man causes all problems. No man, no problems. - Stalin </font>

I payed £50 for Dstruction Derby, what a waste. That wouldn't even go a fiver anymore. that is exactly the same as ppl buying Tekken tag for £50, if you wait about three years it'll be a fiver. And then all you present-ps2 owners will look like d**k-heads.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by popinfresh:
    I payed £50 for Dstruction Derby, what a waste. That wouldn't even go a fiver anymore. that is exactly the same as ppl buying Tekken tag for £50, if you wait about three years it'll be a fiver. And then all you present-ps2 owners will look like d**k-heads.</font>

LOL! like i would wait for 3 years to buy a 3 year old game

aka. ray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Jug-A-Lug

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TinCool:

Not sure, unless they bought out Westwood Studios.
    </font>

yes they did frown.gif

Advertisement