Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please?!

Options
  • 26-06-2001 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping someone had this problem and was able to fix it wink.gif ..

I've got myself a k7 Raid mobo, geof2 gfx, sb64 pci .. this is all running under win2k, and it ****in always hangs!

I cannot play any 3d game for more than 30 min before I suffer from a hang .. playing blue-shift, it only took 5 minutes of play for my first bomb..

When a crash occurs, theres a 80% chance it'll crash win2k totally, and that 20% chance.. I can sometimes alt tab, start key, up two, run, cmd and max the screen to recover.

Does anyone know about this??
    I installed directx8 + the bda patch for directx + the win2k + ausu fix, have latest drivers for geoforce and supposingly for the SB aswell :/

I'm ****in miffed

Bal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

2 options methinks.
    1 - overheating (And you dont have to be overclocking for that to happen). Check the system temp in the BIOS after each crash, if it always seems to crash at a certain temp then try taking the side off the case and see if that helps....if it does work on ventilating the case (Or leave it like that if it doesnt bother you)

2 - There was a bug ages ago in Win2k/VIA chipsets/Geforce cards. Microsoft released a patch (Which is in the Service packs afaik).

Other than that try turning down every memory option in the BIOS and work back up slowly....

There's a link from viahardware.com to an excellent ABIT KT7 FAQ that should be able to help your more.

Also the Tech forum's probably a better place for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shagus

Cant be the swapping Kaids frown.gif
    Wish it was .. have 3GB+ free on each partition at least

Creed .. taking the side off the case'd make cooling worse wink.gif .. the case helps the airflow from the fans circulate around the case, inside. Its not overheating either .. it can happen from word go or 3 hrs after intensive playing ..
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    2 - There was a bug ages ago in Win2k/VIA chipsets/Geforce cards. Microsoft released a patch (Which is in the Service packs afaik).
    </font>

I think I have this .. says to install it ontop of any gfx stuff you install .. tried it with and without frown.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    There's a link from viahardware.com to an excellent ABIT KT7 FAQ that should be able to help your more.
    </font>

Nice Site .. hope to find something smile.gif

Thanks lads

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

How much hard disk space you got on the drive partition that Windows is insalled on? It could be a problem with swap space - a few people have suffered from it over the years. Try to free up as much room on the Windows partition as you have RAM.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

When it crashes are you getting a blue screen, or is it freezing?

I had a similar problem, turned out to be a dodgy sdram dimm.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 gintyc

Windows 2000 crashing?????

But you should not be using Win 2000 for games, It's just not made for them, and it was Mirosoft who first said this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Eh no. W2k is fine for games. Requires a bit more effort intially and has problems with certain older dos games, but it rocks for the most part.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

Advertisement