Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good single player games

Options
  • 27-05-2001 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Now that I'm soon to be cut off ESAT I've gotten in to playing single player games to lessen the impact of 1st June. I've started playing Half Life again, man I've forgotten how good this game actually is, still jump when those little ****ers leap at you in the air vents. After I finish it, probably take me a few weeks I've got Opposing Force to make my way through.

What will you be playing in the coming months ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You could try Deus Ex - wasn't quite my thing, but most people I know love it.

Elite Force was great fun, if a little short. Alien vs Predator is also worth a look.

As for slower paced games, if you follow football, Championship Manager is hugely addictive (maybe not during off-season though). And Ground-Control is an excellent 3D RTS.

Tony Hawks 2 is also one of the most addictive games to come out in a while, fantastic stuff. Had me playing for months.

Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham! You just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."
    hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i wouldn't count on opposing force to keep ya goin, i'm not a great fan of those types of games but it only took me about 4 1/2 hr's to complete on normal ... what a sh!tty ending LOL biggrin.gif

but neway back to the point, i usually play RTS's, e.g. AoE (any of them), C&C (again any of them) they usually keep me goin for a few hours! smile.gif

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I recommend hostile waters. Very good game. Or you could try that new Emperor : Battle for Dune game. This is westwoods first 3d RTS so id say its worth a look.

And this little old-style shoot-em-up i got for about 10 quid called space tripper is cool smile.gif I got the demo on a PCG disc and once i finished that it asked me to buy it. All ye gotta do is buy it on yer credit card and download a 11mb file and you have it . Id say you could find the demo on the internet somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

lol, WEEKS ON HALF-LIFE?
    try about 5-6 hours. Great game, but I found it really short. And the ending sucked. Total anti-climax. As did Oposing Foce. Underwhelmed by that one. Half-life was teh game taht got me to upgrade my PC myself though...It will always hold a very special place in my heart as a result.
    AvP, Deus Ex, ground Control, all rock.
    Get one of teh frontier games too. ie Elite, Elite2: Frontier, Frontier: First Encounters
    Unreal Tournament was cool. System Shock.
    Go into Smyth's and enjoy.

No-one ever suspects the Duck
    He who must die, must die in the dark even though he sells candles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Get yourself a nice long RPG like baldur's gate 2 or diablo, or get the monkey island bounty pack from eb henry st.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

If you can finish HL in 5 or 6 hours then might I advise you to stop imbibing copius amounts of speed.

I'm looking forward to Op Flashpoint.The demo didn't impress me at first,but I have grown to like it,and now can't wait to get my paws on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

funk all that and get yourself a copy of System Shock 2. I played it last night to lessen my period of CS cold turkey and it scared the sh!t out of. The game is fu<king genius, but you have to play it with lights off, headphones on and a bit of smoke. You will be too scared to play it. Best single player game out there.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Definately SS2 and Deus Ex - both brilliant. SS2 will make you cack your pants. Deus Ex has one of the most immersive environments in any game. Loved them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ah yes, must actually get round to finishing SS2, I was in the belly of the beast the last time.

To be honest I've been playing a lot of Quake 3: TA lately, but only because I recently upgraded and IT'S SO PRETTY!!

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

i started playing SS2 last night on the hard level and im ****ting it already. I will lose sleep for the next week or two.

adnans

• Advertisement

then you will enjoy and love SS2.

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Game are selling Deus Ex for £20, in case you want to give it a go. I (finally) got Project IGI over the weekend, you might want to give that a try too. If big fuc|<off robots are your thing, Shogo MAD is really cheap right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Om nyom, fu<k Half-Life, SS2 is the stuff you want. Also, Final Fantasy 7 will keep you amused for months if you're into that sort of thing. Give Gunman Chronicles and Project IGI a go while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

im im the same boat and ive been stocking up on HL mods
    one im at the moment is Counte-Life - its normal HL with the CS weapons biggrin.gif its fun to rip them ikkle head crap a$$holes up with an AK-47 tongue.gif try here for more

[This message has been edited by StrataGIST (edited 28-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

SS2, Deus Ex, great games. Also get No-One Lives Forever - probably the best FPS of 2000, great laff and quite long, will take a while to finish.

Plus, finishing HalfLife in 5-6 hours is bollo<ks - try at least triple that when you know exactly where you're going, traps are etc.

Opposing Force was fun, but way too short, now that can be finished in 5 hours alright. Ending boss = sucks too, but lets face it most of them do frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, im playing q2 again, but at this stage its a bit easy smile.gif
    will get round to finishing ss2 as well.
    will eventually finsh black and white, although stuck on level 4 frown.gif
    god games do get a bit boring after awhile thou. but theres always civ2!!!
    or try downloading some of the freeware games at work smile.gif
    some of them are fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun:
    Get yourself a nice long RPG like baldur's gate 2 or diablo, or get the monkey island bounty pack from eb henry st.
    </font>

Maybe go very classical and try the old d&d rpg's like Curse of the Azure bonds and such or the original civilisation smile.gif Ahhh memories...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Yeah, i want me a copy of SS2 aswell. I had a look around for that compilation pack of ss2 and 2 other games in it but couldnt find it anywhere around in waterford. Dont think it can be bought seperate anywhere just in that pack methinks. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Deus Ex, Halflife and System shock 2 are the three best single player FPS out there IMO. The final fantasy series are pretty good too if you're into that sort of thing, at least 70 hours play in each.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I must borrow FF7 of one of me friends biggrin.gif

I hear the PC version is 4cd's ?

- Munch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Anyone know where I can find Civ2? I've looked in all the shops to no avail. frown.gif

Call to Power is soooo crap compared to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Here are the games that will keep me going and I've yet to finish.

1. Half Life (nearly there me thinks)
    2. Opposing Force (yet to play)
    3. SS2 (had to change my pants and never got back in to it)
    4. Thief 2 (level 3 last time i looked)
    5. Baldurs Gate II (loads left to play)
    5. Monkey Island 4 (not too far in)
    6. Project IGI (still on last level)
    7. Deus Ex (stuck in China some place)
    8. No one lives forever (few levels after jumping out of plane)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Must get myself a copy of SS2 - I keep hearing great things about it.

I loved Half-Life - the memories of playing in pitch plack - only the monitor lighting the room and using headphones on a really high volume - scared me shítless so many times!!! If someone could finish it in 6 hours, then it's time to remove their head from the magical pixie land and live in the real world - I don't see how tbh.

Deus Ex rocked, if for no other reason then I could go anywhere and interact with so many things!!! Great action going on too.

Tony Hawk 2 was mentioned too - that's a great game - made much easier if you've got a gme-pad (I bought one especially to play it). I'd love to be able to have 2 people on one park at the same time - complete with hitting each other a spal every now and again wink.gif

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Don't ignore No-one lives forever, the best fps ever for me. If you in any way find austin powers amusing or thought metal gear solid was cool then get it.

Deus ex didn't do it for me first time around, but I didn't play it too long. Playing ss2 there at the moment, its a fairly similar game; I'm finding it actually ok but sorta frustrating too. Its just a matter of patience I think. I think I'd love to give deus ex another shot now - 20 quid sounds good.

Try a nice and simple strategy game to break up things too - I recommend Zeus or any of the city builder games from impressions. They're nice, time consuming and easy on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Klay

Play against some UT/Q3/CS bots all summer building up your skills until you get online again...Then youll own them all!! biggrin.gif

that an you should get FF9 when its out for pc smile.gif

"(Shaft error to Klay[b-airlock140.esatclear.ie]: Erection reset by queer)"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Right, I'm going to have to pick up SS2.

And if your system or your budget isn't the best, I'd highly recommend Rainbow 6 and the sequel Rogue Spear (and mission packs biggrin.gif). They're among my favourite games of all time, and they'll keep you occupied for ages.

CS bots? eheheheh

Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham! You just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."
    hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Although you should have this game by now, starcraft is a pretty good single player experience. X-Wing alliance is good for a few aswell. Commandos 2 is out soon too, if your pc is still old (the later pcs run this game WAY too fast) i recommend the original one for hours of hair pulling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Didnt you think that it would cost alot more to go out and buy those games instead of going on the net to play cs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by damnyanks:
    Didnt you think that it would cost alot more to go out and buy those games instead of going on the net to play cs?</font>

Possibly, but these are games that I have bought over the last couple of years, but due to Quake2 and CS, I've never really sat down and played any of them at length.

Think i've nearly finished Half life, about to go through a teleporter beam thing which a scientist is initiating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

For those of you who have finnished the excelent System Shock 2 and are looking for more stuff to wet your pants try, Clive Barkers:Undying
    It is trully frightening and its set in a mansion somewhere in Ireland (probly the west somewhere by the looks of it)

Also Codename Eagle is a really fun FPS where you can also drive tanks and fly planes and run arround and I picked it up for only £6 in Eb a few months ago(mega bargain)

Advertisement