Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good single player games

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Tin , unfortunately from that very point , when you step through that portal the game begins to get shíte smile.gif. The Xen levels were horrible IMO , they sure looked nice but were utter pants to play.

And BTW if someone finds SS2 to buy on an online site (even in that compilation pack) , gis' a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

get the baldurs gate series, work you character up from the first one, you can transfer it into next game and so on.

see if you can get you hands on an old game called masters of magic, its a dos game.
    months of play time in it. its a turnbased strat.

system shock 2 is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

get tomb raider 1. that'll keep u going for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

You can get BG2 in Virgin aston quay for £25 and HMV have a promo going that you can get 3 games for £26, including Starcraft+Broodwars, Theif 2, Sim City 3000 and plenty other good ones. That should sort ye for a while.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Actually - another single player game I really, really enjoyed was SWAT 3. I haven't played Rogue Spear so I don't know how it compares but I found it great. Some of the best texturing and models I've ever seen in a game too, small maps so I guess they can pile in the detail.

I think that there's a special edition out a the moment too with the patches and extra missions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

[1] Deus Ex
    [2] Half Life (+mission packs)
    [3] The Sims (you either love it or hate it biggrin.gif)

I thought AvP was boring.
    Rainbow Six games were just not worth the bother... all that tactical planning just to have your bot teammates get their asses blown off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Am, I seeem to have been ripped on the 5-6 hours to finish HL there.
    Of course i didn't mean the first time. The frst time it took well over a week cos i was playing at 10-15 fps.
    An dyes I do agree that 5-6 hours may seem 8s;lightly far-fetched but honest to god it couldn't have been more then 10 hours tops. this was my 4th time replayiing it and i don't count Xen - cos that wasn't palying, it was WORKING.
    Iw as also playing at a rock-steay 99.9fps then. I reckon 10 hours is about right. It's been a while though, and my comprehension of time can be out of whack sometimes. Don't be mad, because it will kill you. Eventually through some coronary-realted illness.
    please continue your flaming and stuff.
    Castor, u do not need 18 hours to finish hl. are you playing blindfolded?
    AvP was not, IMO, boring. It was extremely tense paying as teh Alien and the clibing up walls bit was class.
    SS2 ruled. as did its predeccesser, though i've only finished the demo. I still ahve it if anyone wants it.
    I'm getting into some serios Cannon Fodder atm too. you can still get it for teh PC for a fiver but you have to have ur soundcard and base mem stup right.
    I had to resort to using and Amiag emulator. smile.gif - free games.
    R6:RS ruled in a LAN game. Pure class

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I also wish to raise the issue of my title 'Insane Psoter' ont he grounds that I am not, to the best of my knowlage, -ipso facto- "insane", though I could be wrong.
    I f anyone witnesses any insane behaviour with regards posting on these borads would that person please report to the rabbit's office plese.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Anyone know where I can pick up a copy of final fantasy 7 for me pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Is Deus Ex really as good as people say???
    Where can i get it cheapest in dublin???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stephen:
    Anyone know where I can pick up a copy of final fantasy 7 for me pc?</font>

FF7 is a great game... but on the PC it's absolute kack. If you have a PS or PS2 get the PS version instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Yes Deus Ex is a Great Game!!
    But dont forget its an RPG not FPS.
    U can get it in GAME on Grafton St. for £20.
    What makes the game so good is that u get choices
    If u choose to do something the game reacts to it so u can do things differently every time u play it.

Its just like real life.
    Like i said Grafton St. £20 in GAME

Big Deus Ex Fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Smaug

if ur getting an rpg get fallout 2
    it comes with the origional and is probaly the best rpgs around for only 13 squids at ne good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

As was said, Deus Ex is an rpg, not a fps. It requires a lot of effort and thinking to progress and the pace is somewhat slower to most games. It can be very frustrating at times.

Personally, I didn't like it that much. Its not a game you can sit down and play for 5 minutes. But you can't argue with the huge fan-base and rave reviews its been getting.

Its probably worth a look, especially at £20.

here, here and here.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    FF7 is a great game... but on the PC it's absolute kack. If you have a PS or PS2 get the PS version instead. </font>

Eh ... i played it on a friend's pc before and it seemed just fine (?).

Besides, I haven't got a playstation smile.gif

- Munch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan:
    Deus Ex is an rpg, not a fps.</font>
    It's both IMHO.
    Granted - it's got great depth, and isn't as fast paced kill-kill-kill as Quake was, but it still has strong fps qualities.
    It's set in the first person, and you shoot things... along with all the other stealth creeping, computer hax0ring, question asking stuff.
    I'd call it an RPG for FPS fans, or an FPS for RPG fans smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I played FF7 until it broke somewhere on disk 3, on my PC, and I couldn't see any problems with it. For me the big advantage of buying FF9 on the PSX was that I could lie in bed and play from there smile.gif

Deus Ex, class.

Final Fantasy 7 is **** with many pc setups due to lazy programming. Also, if you manage to get it to work, it crashes frequently, mostly at critical locations. I still managed to beat it a few times, and if you don't have access to a psx(it recently went platinum), I would recomend you buy it on pc. I'd say you'd have to order it in, or buy online though.

Munch , I hear ff7 is an utter cúnt to play without a joypad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

Halflife-Blue Shift is coming out this Friday, which should be worth a look. Deus Ex is a good as everyone says.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Swifty-:
    Munch , I hear ff7 is an utter cúnt to play without a joypad.</font>

I have a cheapo 4 button joypad here that will probably do the trick smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Planescape Torment.....Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Anyone get Half Life blue Shift yet, if so, what's the verdict. Also, anyone know anything about the new Dune game coming out from Westwood ? They've been quite of late so hopefully this should be a stormer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Deus Ex is good but dated...

I would have to say without a doubt the best most recent Single player game to date has to be "No One Lives Forever". Anyone who disagrees hasn't played it. tongue.gif

TC, I hear that blueshift is supposed to be very good, but very short - ie, even shorter than Opposing Force.

yeah ive played it , but its REALLY fúcking short , MUCH shorter than opposing forces. If you want to buy it , youll have to buy Opposing forces with it cause it comes in a pack for 30 quid , which is fairly bent if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

FF7 on PC is out of print afaik, so you may have a hard time finding it.

It's well worth buying a PSX for it, given how cheap they go for second hand these days. It's a worthwhile investment - there's a pile of stuff out there that'll never see the light of day on other platforms, from Metal Gear Solid (the PC port is kack) through Final Fantasy IX (never being ported to PC) and Vagrant Story to import stuff like Xenogears and Chrono Cross.

Is it not available by itself either?

I almost forgot to say, the worst thing about the PC version of FF7 is the music. On the playstation it's very good, orchestrated and pleasing to the ear. The PC version is horrible midi. Anyone who's fought sephiroth on the PC and the PSX will know what I'm talking about(the song is called one wing angel, top song it is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Blood 2
    I-War
    Swat 2/3
    Interstate '76
    Outlaws
    NOLF
    Thief 1/2

Advertisement