Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBA is UK's fastest selling console

Options
  • 26-06-2001 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

(CTW Newsflash mailing we sent out this morning, figured it would be of interest...)

=============================================
    CTW NewsFlash

GBA is UK's fastest selling console ever

Nintendo's Game Boy Advance is the UK's fastest-ever selling
    videogames console, ChartTrack figures confirmed today, with Super
    Mario Advance claiming the No.1 slot in the software chart.

The GBA clocked up sales of 81,000 over the weekend, smashing the
    record set by Sony's PlayStation 2 last year by over 20,000 units.
    Around one in four GBA owners purchased a copy of Super Mario Advance,
    which reached the top ahead of the 13 other GBA titles on sale - nine
    of which made the All Formats Top 40.

An estimated 90,000 units of GBA software was sold over the weekend,
    generating around £3 million worth of sales on their own. Hardware
    sales generated nearly £7 million, with accessories pushing the figure
    well over the £10 million mark.

The first ever Game Boy Advance Top 10 looks like this:

1 SUPER MARIO ADVANCE
    2 TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 2
    3 F-ZERO: MAXIMUM VELOCITY
    4 RAYMAN ADVANCE
    5 CASTLEVANIA: CIRCLE OF THE MOON
    6 KONAMI KRAZY RACERS
    7 GT ADVANCE: CHAMPIONSHIP RACING
    8 KURUKURU KURURIN
    9 PINOBEE: WINGS OF ADVENTURE
    10 ARMY MEN: ADVANCE

Source: ChartTrack/ELSPA

A full report will appear in the next issue of CTW.
    CTW NEWSFLASH is a service of CTW News Digest through which
    subscribers will be notified of important breaking news in the
    interactive entertainment industry.

If you would like a colleague to receive the free CTW Features Diary
    e-mail, please send their details to: advertising@ctw.co.uk

For further information and details of how to subscribe to the print
    version of CTW, visit: www.ctw.co.uk

Comments

Pitty the games look sh!te .32 bit my ass !
    It looks like the 16 bit super nintendo .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Right. You're basing this complete load of crap on WHAT, exactly? Have you seen Castlevania, Tony Hawks 2, Konami Krazy Racers, Rayman Advance et al? Nah, of course not - that'd count as research, and would be something that'd go against the whole concept of being a dull trolling spaz, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:
    Right. You're basing this complete load of crap on WHAT, exactly? Have you seen Castlevania, Tony Hawks 2, Konami Krazy Racers, Rayman Advance et al? Nah, of course not - that'd count as research, and would be something that'd go against the whole concept of being a dull trolling spaz, right?</font>

ZIIIINNNGGG!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think rob is becoming as obnoxious as me now.

One Of your Imps Does A Good Impersonation Of You
    He Can Even Do The Ears.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Come on Shinji. As non-professionals we are allowed to make uninformed comments. We'll leave it to you to provide the insightful reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think its absolutely fantastic to see that its not just fancy buzzwords or technology that sell consoles. Nintendo have made a little wonder, with some classic games. It certainly bodes well for their future.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

errr....Dre is there something wrong with u ever see Gran Turismo on GBA the cras look brilliant the detaisl are nearly exact the only thing that lets it down is the driving bit but all the same i dunno how u can say it looks like 16bit. With ur knowledge mabbe u mistaken a Snez to GBA tongue.gif

aka. ray

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

In defense of my co-mod, there is far too much "[insert product here] IS CRAP COS I THINK SO!" posts in Games.

If you have an opinion, try and back it up with facts, and if possible punctuation. And maybe even buy the product before you form your opinion.

Also, check your facts before you post or Shinji will more than likely bite your trigger finger off.

Yours threatenly,
    The Thought Police

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 26-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Thats it, Im now convinced Shinji
    works for nintendo. You'd wanna be an idiot or a thief to get a GBA @ £115 simple as that. And the games £35 wtf, this is only a handheld yoke ! I could buy a pc masterpiece for £35 nevermind a remake of mario-cart & f-zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Wahoo!Headin up to Dublin to get me one of these GBA's very soon,F-zero,Tony hawks and Gt championship are my games of choice.

«Donal|R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xithus:
    You'd wanna be an idiot or a thief to get a GBA @ £115 simple as that.
    </font>

biggrin.giftongue.gif I got mine for about £50 less than that... still... eh? biggrin.giftongue.gif

Bard
    Fatter, happier, more productive.

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 27-06-2001).]

well draffodx u shud really concider buying a diff game than GT for GBA as good as the cars look they drive like **** on a stormy night> But the car does look amazing for a handheld game and i do think that £35 is alrite concidering that its a 32bit game so its really like a handheld PS (supposingly)

aka. ray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

lucky you bard smile.gif Ill either buy it 2nd hand in a while, Or wait til the price drops (a lot)
    You'd get a dreamcast and a couple of games for £115 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Oh yeah

I seem to be saying this a lot but, damn I've gotta get me some money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

the gba has come a long way.. i recently dusted off my old (old old rolleyes.gif ) nes to compare graphics. super mario bros. vs mario advance. there was no competion. it's worth the money biggrin.gif

PHat Ass Burger

[This message has been edited by Burger_Boy (edited 27-06-2001).]

Dam its like i said somthing bad about his girlfriend .I think sombody needs a hug smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I think that £115 is good value for what you're getting in the GBA. I mean, what was the release price of the GB? £70-80, I seem to memember. (I'm sure somone will set me straight)

Considering inflation, the GBA is probably cheaper than the GB was when it was released. Think about that...

lucky you bard smile.gif</font>

The joys of tax-free airport shopping in the UK smile.gif

Bard

Notice how the "16 bit" supernintendo brought out mario allstars with mario 1 2 and 3 While the 32bit game boy brings out mario allstars with mario 1 and 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

If you'd stop obsessing over Mario for a minute and consider some of the other titles (which you blatantly haven't even seen), you might even be worth arguing with.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amp:
    In defense of my co-mod, there is far too much "[insert product here] IS CRAP COS I THINK SO!" posts in Games.

If you have an opinion, try and back it up with facts, and if possible punctuation. And maybe even buy the product before you form your opinion.

Also, check your facts before you post or Shinji will more than likely bite your trigger finger off.

Yours threatenly,
    The Thought Police

</font>

pld.

btw Velocity, there is no Gran Turismo for the GBA - Sony own the Gran Turismo franchise, it would make no sense for them to release it on the GBA.

How good a buy you'd find the GBA depends on a person's attitude toward gaming. Despite graphics that can't compare to games on other systems, the majority of games on the GBA are far more captivating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I just thought I'd let you know that the games cost IR£45, and because of this, and the cost of the GBA itself, I won't be buying one, for a while anyway.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun:
    I just thought I'd let you know that the games cost IR£45, and because of this, and the cost of the GBA itself, I won't be buying one, for a while anyway.

</font>

hee hee hee... ho ho ho...

I've spent about ... oooh... (IR)£130 in total to get the GBA, 2 top GBA games (Mario and Konami Krazy Racers) and a Game Boy Colour game (Star Wars Ep1: Obi Wans Adventures)...

Like I said... the joys of duty free shopping at the -right- time smile.gif

Bard

Virgin are selling them for £35, and bear in mind that US and Japanese games work on it - so you'll probably find good deals online

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

rolleyes.gif
    Thats it, Im now convinced Shinji
    works for nintendo. You'd wanna be an idiot or a thief to get a GBA @ £115 simple as that. And the games £35 wtf, this is only a handheld yoke ! I could buy a pc masterpiece for £35 nevermind a remake of mario-cart & f-zero.
    </font>

Ah yes. Clearly, because it's a portable console, the games must be sh|t.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dre as in Dray:
    Notice how the "16 bit" supernintendo brought out mario allstars with mario 1 2 and 3 While the 32bit game boy brings out mario allstars with mario 1 and 2.</font>

Was there a point of some sort hidden in there somewhere?

Well nekki i played an import version my friends auntie bought and she had Gran Turismo and Mario allstars

aka. ray

as far as I can tell from a few hours owning Super Mario Advance, it consists of fairly nicely enhanced versions of the original Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros 2. It's worth it.

Bard

Well Mario 1 was ground breaking for its time.Mario 2 was seen as awfull Mario 3 was the best.But its not there !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Jug-A-Lug

i fancy getting the PSone travel pack as soon as its out. it will cost about 170-220 quid but thats a PSone a screen and a powerpack (id estimate about 3-4 hours play time per charge) i saw this thing in Stuff magazine and i cant wait :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I cant believe people are still playing the playstation

«Donal|R

Advertisement