Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harpoon

Options
  • 11-06-2001 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has played 'Harpoon' - either on paper or on PC / Mac. There are proposals for Harpoon 3 (Windows) and Harpoon 4, if you are interested.

For those of you not in the know Harpoon is an (accelerated) realtime game based primarily on naval warfare. If you have read Red Storm Rising or the like, Harpoon was the sytem to game out the various scenarios. It is very realistic, indeed scientific (albeit the main display is a radar scope) - no arbitary points values.

I am copying this to the new 'Wargames' forum

Changing call sign to SIERRA PAPA OSCAR OSCAR FOXTROT.

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 11-06-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Does it go boop... boop... boop... etc.?

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

You know the radar sound that's always in submarines. It goes Boop.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

If you like that kind of game, then Jane's Fleet Command should be up your alley.
    Personally I like it but it hasn't gone down too good in general. But what do the masses know anyway ?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun:
    You know the radar sound that's always in submarines. It goes Boop.</font>

You mean the noise that the movies use to imitate SONAR!!! mad.gif

No, it doesn't. But you get little MPEG of missile launches / hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I looked at the official webbie for it a while abck, seems to bea 3d stratagy game now

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:
    I looked at the official webbie for it a while abck, seems to bea 3d stratagy game now</font>

Close enough. Essentially it is the most realistic war simulator available to the public. You can control everything right down to individual missiles, so it is more detailed than a 'stategy' game.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

Played it at LONG time ago on the Amiga, poor graphics, GREAT GREAT game though, nice tension when you encouter and enemy fleet where you weren't expecting it!

They are planning on bringing out a version 3 (previously MAc only) or 4 in the next 6-12 months.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Ubi Soft are finally planning to ship Harpoon IV in Feb 2004. It will probably slip yet again, but if they get it right it will be well worth waiting for, even if it's just no need for a boot disk and no more bloody VESA drivers.

If many people have never heard of this game, it might be worth paying a visit to
    Harpoon HQ, for a history and an idea of what to expect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement