Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry to have to do this....

Options
  • 23-06-2001 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

I'm not going to troll the GBA thread with this, but in reply to Prof. Frink's UTTERLY BLOODY STUPID post....
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Its bound to wipe the floor with other next Gen consoles.</font>

Ahahahahahahahahaha. Hang on, let me catch my breath... NO WAIT, HERE COMES THE LAUGHING AGAIN!
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The line-up and loads of Exclusives heres a few:</font>

Okay. This should be fun.

>Metal Gear Solid 2

Sequel. Few major gameplay improvements. Fantastic game, but lets face it, every PS2 owner so far has basically justified their purchase by saying "MGS2 will be out soon!" - where "soon" equals "sometime in 2002"... Oh, and it's coming out on Xbox too.

>Grand Theft Auto 3

Nobody has seen enough about this to care yet. NONE of the original GTA team are working on it, which does not bode well. Second sequel. Undoubtedly going to other consoles as well given Rockstar's history.

>Smackdown 3

Second sequel. Utter rubbish played by 14 year olds because of the license. Versions going to Xbox and Gamecube.

>Gran Turismo 3

Second sequel. Very nice, great graphics, good handling - will do well for the console.

>Jak And Daxter

Heh, Mr I Don't Like Nintendo quotes the cartoony, cutesy and heavily Mario-inspired platformer high on his list. Hypocrite? Jak & Daxter looks alright, but not anything to write home about - Naughty Dog are talking big about it but there's not a huge amount of innovative stuff there right now.

>Tomb Raider(Next Gen)

Sequel. Same all over again. Lara is boring now. Going to other platforms anyway. Toby Gard not working on it.

>Ace Combat 4

Yes, and how many people played the first three games? Quite.

>Max Payne

Port of a PC game. Coming out long after the PC version.

>SSX 2

Also coming out on Xbox. Sequel that adds little to the original title.

>Tony Hawks 3

Xbox exclusive.

>Dark Cloud

Very average RPG, good fun for a bit but nothing to write home about.

>Final Fantasy 10

Wow, the second game on the list that's genuinely PS2 exclusive and genuinely worth playing.

>Air Blade

More extreme sports. Market is flooded. Nobody cares.

>Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Coming out on every platform ever.

>Matrix

Xbox exclusive.

>NFL 2002

9 out of 10 cats said they couldn't give a toss.

>Virtua Fighter 4

Coming out on other platforms. Third sequel.

>Time Crisis 2

Sequel. Has been out in arcades for years - literally.

>Crazy Taxi 2

Out on Dreamcast next month. Out on PS2... well it's not in development yet, so god knows.

>Half Life

Port of an ancient PC title. It runs at appallingly bad framerate.

>Soldier Of Fortune

Port of an ancient PC title.

>Dues Ex

>Driver 3

Second sequel. Driver 2 was bloody awful.

>Soul Calibur 2

Should be good, not confirmed whether it'll be on other platforms. Likely to go to Gamecube tho.

>Kessen II

Nobody bought the first one, despite it being good.

>Final Fantasy 11

No details confirmed as yet. A lot will hinge on whether PlayOnline ever rolls out in Europe properly.

>Medal Of Honour

Looks nice, likely to come to Xbox as well.

>Resident Evil Code Veronica X

Port of an ancient DC game.

>Commandos 3

Totally unconfirmed. Port of a PC game.

>Sonic

Also going to Gamecube and GBA and sod knows where else - and no titles confirmed for PS2 yet.

> WWF VS WCW

Now you're just making stuff up.

> Gunslinger

That's a new one. Got a URL for it?

> Tekken 4

Likely to go to Gamecube as well. Third sequel.

> Crash 4

Not coming out on PS2.

> Z:Steel Soldiers

Total rubbish. Sold nothing on the PC. Port of a PC title. Not confirmed for PS2.

> Age Of Empires 2

It's a Microsoft title and is absolutely positively not coming out on the PS2.

> Red Alert 2

Very, very unlikely to come out on PS2. You're making stuff up again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

GTA3

http://www.eurogamer.net/content/p_gta3

well just going by those screenies I'd be willing to wait awhile. Full 3d maps for cities *nyom*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

There's a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon game coming?? Cool smile.gif

However Robbo, Age of Empires II is in fact coming out on the PS2 (in October) as seen here http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,913938,00.html being ported by Konami.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Stratagy games rarely work on a console. Take Theme Park for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

yea they never turn out as good as the p.c...

i think its cos they dont have the whole mouse/keyboard look..

take civ 2 on the p.c total blockbuster game of the year for 5 years running!

then look at it on the playstation frown.gif yuck ****ing rubbish! totally recked the game...

also as mentioned theme park... and even theme hospital...

take age of empires 2.. another total blockbuster game of the year... if they bring it out aswell it will be destroyed and be off th e markets as son as yor could say (shinji is a klown...) smile.giftongue.gifwink.gif

- Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Man causes all problems. No man, no problems. - Stalin </font>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Hmm i've played GT3 quite a bit at this stage and its bloody excellent, while theres nowhere near as many cars as in GT or GT2, theres twice as much stats and tweaking to be had pre and post race.

With the analog controllers (d-pad) its so much easier to control as well, for me (a huge GTA2 fan) theres a few little gripes but nothing major.

SSX2 is a bloody amazingly fun game to play as well, and well worth the purchase if you have friends.

imo if you own a PS2 you have to get both of them unless your into gay ass rpg games smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

hehe shinj, I couldn't summon the strength to argue with him smile.gif

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Oh, the AoE2 thing is interesting. At E3 Konami didn't show it because Microsoft had basically pointed out how incredibly unhappy they'd be if an MS title ended up on PS2 now that they have a competing product... And while normally Konami wouldn't give a flying fúck at a rolling doughnut, they do accept a Big Bag Of Cash from MS every year at the moment... Be interesting to know if that's still in limbo, canned or resumed actually, I might follow that up next week.

GT3 is good yes, been playing it a fair bit. However, it's still GT 2.5 - no real overhaul, but a really nice lick of paint on the graphics. Which isn't necessarily a BAD thing... But if Bizarre Creations can get permission from the car manufacturers to bash the crap out of their top-end models in pretty neat crashes in Project Gotham, surely the might of Sony could do likewise?

SSX2... Bleh, it's very much more of the same, the usual EA Successful Game Cash-In rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Tekken 4 and soul calibur 2 for gamecube shinji?????

Don't be bloody silly, they're both running on ps2 based arcade boards and since the tekken beta arcade machine was released and they have said its for ps2 ONLY. I find what you said wrong..... and hurtful :P~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭OConnor

wow. Shinji voiced all my opinions perfectly, with a degree of eloquance i will not obtain for several years to come. yikes.
    The PS2 will Flop. I laugh in the Face of all the eejits who went out and paid £300 pound for it when it was released because of Sony's hype in computer magazines.
    /me laughs heartily
    Smack down? argh*******
    Grand turismo 1 with new cars and hi res graphics? the real driving sim? in real life you cant drive at 200 kmph into a barrier and not scratch the paintwork! rolleyes.gif
    Metal Gear Solid 2? cinematic to be sure, but restricted top down camera, basic enemy Ai (unless you think a few hand gesture animations suddenly makes them intelligent)
    and clunky console controls..
    no thanks.
    Final fantasy 10? well 7 & 8 were brill, but 9 was just.. kinda.. ungh.
    k, ill shut up now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Heeh, Shinji, arent you glad this OConnor guy is on your side smile.gif A few things...

The Final Fantasy franchise and squaresoft's other excellent games alone will keep a big chunk of the PS2 owners happy. There aren't that many good console games that will keep people playing for hours on end and squaresoft churns out a surprising huge number of them. Ask any PS1 owners what their fav PS1 games are and 90% of them will mention a square game (yes, i am aware 95% of statistics like this one is made up on the spot...oops..there I go again). Basically, there might not be a big list of games worth playing on the PS2 right now but it's not going to flop just yet.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OConnor:
    Grand turismo 1 with new cars and hi res graphics? </font>
    Did you say hi res graphics on GT3? Really? So that's how they make games look better on consoles, turn up the resolution. Thanks for the info. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 24-06-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:
    I'm not going to troll the GBA thread with this, but in reply to Prof. Frink's UTTERLY BLOODY STUPID post....

Okay. This should be fun.

>Metal Gear Solid 2

Sequel. Few major gameplay improvements. Fantastic game, but lets face it, every PS2 owner so far has basically justified their purchase by saying "MGS2 will be out soon!" - where "soon" equals "sometime in 2002"... Oh, and it's coming out on Xbox too.

>Grand Theft Auto 3

Nobody has seen enough about this to care yet. NONE of the original GTA team are working on it, which does not bode well. Second sequel. Undoubtedly going to other consoles as well given Rockstar's history.

>Smackdown 3

Second sequel. Utter rubbish played by 14 year olds because of the license. Versions going to Xbox and Gamecube.

>Gran Turismo 3

Second sequel. Very nice, great graphics, good handling - will do well for the console.

>Jak And Daxter

Heh, Mr I Don't Like Nintendo quotes the cartoony, cutesy and heavily Mario-inspired platformer high on his list. Hypocrite? Jak & Daxter looks alright, but not anything to write home about - Naughty Dog are talking big about it but there's not a huge amount of innovative stuff there right now.

>Tomb Raider(Next Gen)

Sequel. Same all over again. Lara is boring now. Going to other platforms anyway. Toby Gard not working on it.

>Ace Combat 4

Yes, and how many people played the first three games? Quite.

>Max Payne

Port of a PC game. Coming out long after the PC version.

>SSX 2

Also coming out on Xbox. Sequel that adds little to the original title.

>Tony Hawks 3

Xbox exclusive.

>Dark Cloud

Very average RPG, good fun for a bit but nothing to write home about.

>Final Fantasy 10

Wow, the second game on the list that's genuinely PS2 exclusive and genuinely worth playing.

>Air Blade

More extreme sports. Market is flooded. Nobody cares.

>Matrix

Xbox exclusive.

>NFL 2002

9 out of 10 cats said they couldn't give a toss.

>Virtua Fighter 4

Coming out on other platforms. Third sequel.

>Time Crisis 2

Sequel. Has been out in arcades for years - literally.

>Crazy Taxi 2

Out on Dreamcast next month. Out on PS2... well it's not in development yet, so god knows.

>Half Life

Port of an ancient PC title. It runs at appallingly bad framerate.

>Soldier Of Fortune

>Dues Ex

>Driver 3

Second sequel. Driver 2 was bloody awful.

>Soul Calibur 2

Should be good, not confirmed whether it'll be on other platforms. Likely to go to Gamecube tho.

>Kessen II

Nobody bought the first one, despite it being good.

>Final Fantasy 11

No details confirmed as yet. A lot will hinge on whether PlayOnline ever rolls out in Europe properly.

>Medal Of Honour

Looks nice, likely to come to Xbox as well.

>Resident Evil Code Veronica X

Port of an ancient DC game.

>Commandos 3

Totally unconfirmed. Port of a PC game.

>Sonic

Also going to Gamecube and GBA and sod knows where else - and no titles confirmed for PS2 yet.

> WWF VS WCW

Now you're just making stuff up.

> Gunslinger

That's a new one. Got a URL for it?

> Tekken 4

Likely to go to Gamecube as well. Third sequel.

> Crash 4

Not coming out on PS2.

> Z:Steel Soldiers

Total rubbish. Sold nothing on the PC. Port of a PC title. Not confirmed for PS2.

> Age Of Empires 2

It's a Microsoft title and is absolutely positively not coming out on the PS2.

> Red Alert 2

Very, very unlikely to come out on PS2. You're making stuff up again.
    </font>

Shinji m8, try and get out a bit more ,shed light on your pail skin, in summarry:

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much free time!

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [Jackass]:
    Shinji m8, try and get out a bit more ,shed light on your pail skin, in summarry:

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much free time!

</font>
    How about you not quote the entire bloody message next time you reply and not waste my time scrolling past it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

It might also help to remember that Shinji's full-time job is to come out with that sort of stuff on a regular basis. smile.gif

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chubby:
    Did you say hi res graphics on GT3? Really? So that's how they make games look better on consoles, turn up the resolution. </font>

Well, since the real-world surfaces represented in 3D games are (stay with me) discretised by polygons and the models in GT3 are discretised with a higher resolution than those in GT then to a degree OConnor is right. tongue.gif

But **** it, I don't really want to stand up for OConnor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭OConnor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chubby:
    Ask any PS1 owners what their fav PS1 games are and 90% of them will mention a square game (yes, i am aware 95% of statistics like this one is made up on the spot...oops..there I go again)

(edited 24-06-2001).]
    </font>

well , since you havent carried out a survey , that s kinda pointless, isnt it?
    Considering the vast regional differences in tastes for games. (in Japan, 90 % would say square of course , but in Europe or USA?)
    Several of Sqaures Best games (CHrono trigger, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve)
    were not even released over here! and where the masses of text all translated for every part of the world? no? well that rules out square games in quite a few places doesnt it?
    The PS1's best selling games over here were FIFA , Tomb raider etc., sold to the casual gamer, not the Hardcore RPG fan ;/
    (PS.ive never forgiven square for betraying Nintendo wink.gif, as far as im concerned, the last game they ever made was Super Mario RPG)

In addition, chubby, have a glance at Kix's post to see why i am right.. makes me wonder why no one ever stands up for a "cool newbie" and jumps to the aid of a moderator with 4000 + posts tho ...

OConnor (uber-l33t ex-square fan, and PS2 Hater)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:

</font>

Wahoo, the moment I've been waiting all of my natural life for!!

*Son of Blam dusts off his Atari Jaguar*

-Son of Blam

Crouching Tiger will be out on the GameCube .
    Smackdown 3 will not be out for the Game Cube or XBox.It will however be out for the Ps2 .Raw is War will be out for the Xbox however.WCW Vs WWF will not be out mabey give it a year or 2.
    Thats just a bit that caught my eye and i dont even do this for a living smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Considering the vast regional differences in tastes for games. (in Japan, 90 % would say square of course , but in Europe or USA?)
    Several of Sqaures Best games (CHrono trigger, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve)
    were not even released over here! and where the masses of text all translated for every part of the world? no? well that rules out square games in quite a few places doesnt it?
    </font>
    You'll only have to look at the world wide sales record of the final fantasy games to know what a huge fan base they have outside of japan. And as far as I know, there are different languages versions for the biggest titles like FF7 anf FF8.

And FYI, Chrono Trigger was a SNES game, Parasite Eve and it's sequel WAS released here.
    The PS1's best selling games over here were FIFA , Tomb raider etc., sold to the casual gamer, not the Hardcore RPG fan ;/
    </font>
    Then by your own admission, the casual gamers buy crap games. So how are you going to justify "the PS2 will flop" because there are no good games available for it?

In addition, chubby, have a glance at Kix's post to see why i am right.. makes me wonder why no one ever stands up for a "cool newbie" and jumps to the aid of a moderator with 4000 + posts tho ...
    </font>
    Yeah, saw Kix post and you're more of a newbie than I thought if you think he's right. High polygon count does not equal high resolution.

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 28-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hey, theres only 2 people here with 4000+ posts and the other one is hobbes wwman.gif

One Of your Imps Does A Good Impersonation Of You
    He Can Even Do The Ears.....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Crouching Tiger will be out on the GameCube.</font>

Bzzzzzzt! Challenge! It hasn't been ANNOUNCED for the GameCube. That does not mean it won't come out. Right now the platforms it's confirmed for are Xbox and PS2, but given the studio in question I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised to see a GC version, and probably a GBA game based on the license, and god knows even a PSone title for legacy support.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Smackdown 3 will not be out for the Game Cube or XBox.It will however be out for the Ps2 .Raw is War will be out for the Xbox however.WCW Vs WWF will not be out mabey give it a year or 2.</font>

I think you'll find that the fans don't give a toss about whether what they get is "SmackDown!: Just Bring It" or "Raw Is War", given that the actual license is the same, the developers are the same, the publisher is the same and the core gameplay is the same.

• Advertisement

Wrong again .The developer's of Smackdown 3 are THQ and Yukes.For Nintendo it is just THQ and for Xbox its Crave.The 2 games are totaly different in every way Graphics and game play.I do think fans will give a dam about what format its on as there is huge competition between N64 fans and Smackdown fans.That is why WWF games are the fastest selling games out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

here, I'll have nothing said against NFL 2002 smile.gif

On the AOE2 thing. As far as I remember Microsoft own Ensamble Studios, who make the game. Maybe PS2 are getting a 'copy and paste' port of the PC AOE2, like the PC got a direct copy of MGS from the PSX. While XBox punters will get the all singing and dancing new game based on the AOE2 engine Ensamble have been talking about?

That said, Im sure shinji will disagree with me smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

GAH! I hate WWF in all it's stupid formats. Put it on an N64 - I hate it. Put it on a PS2 - I still hate it. Put it on the telly and I hate it more than anything.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Ladies and Gents.....

Taking only 3 formats currently have net connection and no one is defending the console 1 i will assume u all have PCs

thus Why DO U CARE?????????

i mean the PC will always have the best and no matter what comes out on psx there will be something better on PC

AND.....................

Let us not forget Bleem yes tha little software which gave both Dreamcast and PC to play psx games. they are winning a 2nd court case over rights for psx2 which means what??? simple give us a year or 2 and we'll have bleem for ps2 and then we'll have emulaters for xbox an gamecube

The only problem i see is gamevube is so console compared to xbox which is very PC so it will be harder to emulate then others.

ANYWAY

MGS- sneak up um (atmospheric PC -Thief (sneak em up with style) Deus Ex (sneak em up but more advance and with style)

And who cares about the casual gamer if we r not enjoy getting the games we get. If fifa and Tomb raider keep the spammers out of here GREAT!!!

i'm spent

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

All 3 of the games you mentioned are out on the pc aswell as the psx.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">simple give us a year or 2 and we'll have bleem for ps2 and then we'll have emulaters for xbox an gamecube</font>

You don't actually have the first clue what you're talking about, do you?

Bleem are on the verge of going bust, by the way.

Wow you would need some beast of a machine to emulate Xbox games.Bleem is rubbish anyway,did people actually pay for that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

a dx8 compatible card and a fast processor should be more than enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Hey Chubby rolleyes.gif

I thought that it was pretty clear that I was playing about with that post. Gimmie a break here! tongue.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

I played on the PS2 the other day for the First time (yeah i know) but come on its not exacly what they promised! The graphics are s**te when compared to the PC and we (pc owners) have the choice to upgrade!!!I'd rather spend £300 on a new graphics card then the pc would kick its ass!

Advertisement