Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atari Lynx

Options
  • 04-07-2001 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I found my old Atari lynx recently, dusted it off and stuck batteries in it and spend some fun hours playing California games. Anyone still have/remember these beauties, perhaps interested in flogging their old game catridges.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

a nice console( as long as you didn't drop it but serious how can anybody expect it to survive being dropped on the ground?) beat the ass of the sega gamegear anyday, shame it never got any support ... Atari made some killer machines ... anybody remember the Jaguar? way ahead of it's time.

course the most amusing Atari had to be the 2600 ... anybody remember the ads? "ONLY 50 BUCKS!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

lol yeah "thuh tweny-six hundrud frum uh-tar-ee" hehe

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ah the 2600. Pacman and combat. What freaks me out a lot is the sound effects used in Pacman are used in some car alarms. Like when you set the alarm the level start effect kicks in. Do dee do dee.

That sound is burned into my head forever.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrTimewalk:
    I found my old Atari lynx recently, dusted it off and stuck batteries in it and spend some fun hours playing California games.</font>

Oh wow that brings back some memories. I blew all my savings at the time on one of the first in the country (much to the displeasure of my parents but they let me do since it was my own money).

Blasting all those 720s and 1080s on the surfing game was cool. That stuff was so far ahead of its' time.

Must dig it out again for a go......... :-)

When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Did Atari not 0wn the world of games back in the 80s?

I had a 2600 before they became trendy and so loads of my mates wanted to swap games and stuff when they only had that stupid centipete fluck.
    Defender ruled!

Anyway, I recently found my Lynx too - I only had a hockey game on it, but it rocks.
    I'd love to get my hands on some games for it.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

We had an Atari 2600 when i was a kid, I also have one of the first game consioles ever: remember the Binatone, it had pong and Tennis, Football which was just pong with four bats or something, still have it at home; must dust it off , it had those tiny paddles.Still back in the day it was high tech, makes you wonder what peole will say about our PC's in 30 years time!!!

Does anyone remember Dig-Dug , I used to play it in the arcades I loved it. Someone mentioned Combat earlier, pure classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

MS released a version of Dig Dug a few years back as part of it's arcade game package it included if I remember

DigDug
    Pole Position (NOW theres a game that brings back school memories)
    asteroids
    missile command I think

heres one to bring back the memories

Lunar Lander (you can get all these at www.games.com I believe in java form)

There are lots of emulators available on the net, i found one for the Atari 2600, plus a whole list of games, its funny cos to download "Space Invaders" for the emulator ithe file size was only 4k!!! I downloaded
    ET for the 2600...man I think that game alone caused the crash in the video game market way back when!!The emulator was fun and is available free from: www.classicgaming.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

sounds like a weird quection, but here it goes...

anyone know if you can hook up an atari lynx screen to a pc?
    or where to get some electronic schematics to experiment myself?

long shot.

dave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Lord Khan
    a nice console( as long as you didn't drop it but serious how can anybody expect it to survive being dropped on the ground?) beat the ass of the sega gamegear anyday, shame it never got any support ... Atari made some killer machines ... anybody remember the Jaguar? way ahead of it's time.

course the most amusing Atari had to be the 2600 ... anybody remember the ads? "ONLY 50 BUCKS!"
    hehe..if i remember rightly it was "Under fifty bucks!!" *children gasp in amazement, all together* "UNDER FIFTY BUCKS!"
    I loved my old 2600..HERO was such a great game back in the day..and i loved the atari ST too *was an atari kid* DEATH TO THE AMIGA!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by MrTimewalk
    MS released a version of Dig Dug a few years back as part of it's arcade game package it included if I remember

DigDug
    Pole Position (NOW theres a game that brings back school memories)
    asteroids
    missile command I think
    It was
    DigDug
    Pole Position
    Pacman
    Galaxian

That was MS Return of Arcade. Released October 95 IIRC. And it runs under XP as well:)

They later released Revenge of Arcade (which I don't have so asteroids and missile command might be in that one (see default RedHat install for pretty much the same thing))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Originally posted by Kenjd
    We had an Atari 2600 when i was a kid, I also have one of the first game consioles ever: remember the Binatone, it had pong and Tennis, Football which was just pong with four bats or something, still have it at home; must dust it off , it had those tiny paddles.Still back in the day it was high tech, makes you wonder what peole will say about our PC's in 30 years time!!!

lol, oh **** I'm looking at our one right now.
    I gotta hook that up, hours of fun
    why can't they make good simple controllers like they used to :p

Advertisement