Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New VGA PLANETS game starting

Options
  • 08-01-2001 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'd like to host and play in a game of VGA Planets, which I haven't done in ages. smile.gif A few other people I've spoken to are interested. We need 11 people in total, we'll sort out who plays which race later on.

We will be using Host 3.22.027, you may use as clients either Winplan 3.5 or VGA Planets DOS v3.0 / vpa. This game is open to both shareware and registered users and will be using standard settings. Turns will be twice a week, reducing to once a week later in the game if required. Addons may incude Explmap with a custom map, and Sphere - I haven't decided yet. There may also be formal alliances, it depends on what we as a group decide.

There will be a short (3 turn) test game before the real one starts, to make sure everyone is familiar with the game turn cycle and has their email clients set-up correctly.

If you've read this far and don't know what I'm talking about, go here: http://www.vgaplanets.com and learn about the grand-daddy of all turn-based online strategy games. smile.gif

Reply below if you're interested in playing, the game is open to complete newbies and experienced players alike - as long as you can commit to playing your turns regularily (5 mins to an hour whenever you choose, twice a week).

Cheers,
    Teeth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Count me in smile.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

mistype that url or somethin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

No, that's the url, their server must be down atm. Do a search for "VGA Planets" on Google or somewhere, you'll get a load of good links for VGAP info/tactics/communities etc.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

im in, now how do i play biggrin.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

hmm I'm wondering the same thing Jag ..
    hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

I'm good to go for it

Here's some info to get yis started..

How the game works:
    http://www.vgaplanets.com/howworks.htm

A brief over-view of the rules:
    http://www.vgaplanets.com/intro2.htm

The complete documentation:
    http://www.vgaplanets.com/hostdoc1.htm

A hints/tips/strategy file:
    http://www.vgaplanets.com/dreadlord.htm

The game will be starting some time in the next week or so, depending on the numbers of players I get.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

After reading through those links I'd be very interested in playing.

ok I've dl the files and installed ..
    this reminds me of planetarion smile.gif
    I'm glad were going to havea few mess games first aswell smile.gif
    also teach me how to set it up etc. for the game
    thanks

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dr_Teeth:
    No, that's the url, their server must be down atm. Do a search for "VGA Planets" on Google or somewhere, you'll get a load of good links for VGAP info/tactics/communities etc.

Teeth.
    </font>

think he means the host not the vgaplanets site.

I'm fully installed and just need the first rst file :-)

[This message has been edited by Lord Khan (edited 10-01-2001).]

• Advertisement

righto, I'm still gathering players. I'll need you all to reply here with your preferred email addresses. These are the addresses I'll sub to the VGAP mailing list I'm setting up to discuss the game, and these are the addresses I'll be sending the .RST files to. The test game should begin next week when we have the full 11 players, and their email addresses all sorted.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Count me in.
    WhiteLancer2k@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

and me
    wkelly@iol.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

im in

jag@netshop.ie

I'm in too
    ojthe1st@hotmail.com
    I think this will be a good game like pa or something
    how long will each round last approx. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

looks like more than 11 ppl interested here.
    id suggest two games.. one for more experienced players and one for beginners.
    presume your not having any of those dodgy addon packs?

been playin that game since '92.. damn its good, however its too easy to cheat lately so i quit :/

ahh ffs cheat eh ?
    I sure hope there will be none of that frown.gif

hopefully not, that's why I've shied away from the usual VGAP hosting sites. I only have time to run one game unfortunately, so I'll be picking people randomly. I'll let you know here in a few days once I've got everything up and running. smile.gif

Teeth.

There are many ways to end the game, sometimes they go on everyone decides on a winner, sometimes they go on for a certain number of turns, sometimes they go on until the last player/alliance standing etc. I've been in games that have lasted over a year.

Teeth.

drazicus@esatclear.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

wouldnt mind playing.. but fourth year and all that.. and cant spare the hours at all frown.gif

btw for new players.. feds and reptiles make the best allies in the game.
    (used to play with two races per person a lot.. destroyed everyone with that combo, money + minerals + cloaking + upgrading ships)

pity planets 4 never came out.. its been about 5/6 years in the pipeline now smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Decay

I'm in

Hmmm we only have less than 11 here ...

just lots of us have reposted :-)

true Kharn hehe

Khan :-) jeeze come on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Decay

never played this before so I expect to act as cannon fodder for the more experienced, but what the h*ll you can't live forever.

So what's the story Dr Teeth :-)

yeah I'm waiting aswell
    com'n wink.gif

I'm busy busy busy at the moment - moving house. I'll get things sorted soon don't worry.. wink.gif

Teeth.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dr_Teeth:
    I'm busy busy busy at the moment - moving house. I'll get things sorted soon don't worry.. wink.gif

Teeth.
    </font>
    hehehe

well if you need help running a second game I'm up for it .. have time to kill here in UL :-)

Advertisement