Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anachronox is in your local games shop

Options
  • 07-07-2001 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

Walking down grafton street today heading for the bus home, popped into game, and low and behold, there's Anachronox on the shelf, so I picked up a copy. I'm only home now though so I haven't had a chance to give it a game yet smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

There's a demo out now on fileplanet, http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?section=340&file=62317 ....... I'm pretty impressed with it so far, plays a bit like the final fatasy games but the setting feels the same as Deus Ex, very funny so far too smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It crashes on W2K unless you download the patch, some of us had to wait weeks to play the game because some developers felt the need to release the game before it's ready.

There are still bugs in it, and for a Quake2 engine it's an OK game. Kind of like FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's very good so far - very console RPG feel, nicely done, no random battles (thank Christ).

Plus I got it for 29.99 in EB cos they had the wrong price on it when I went in - after I paid for mine the manager whipped all the other copies off the shelf to start changing the price smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

http://www.planetmirror.com/pub/bluesnews/anachronox/patches/AnoxPatch1_01.exe

It's in Australia but it's the fastest mirror I could find about 8k a sec. It's 4 megs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Just had a run about on the demo dayre, it looks pretty cool from what ive seen of it. I'm running around some snowy place looking for clues from a dissapearance 0_o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Hobbes, have you got a link to the patch ? I've just installed it and I can't play it cos I'm on Win2k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Thanks CT, got it and up and running now.

I'm about 6 hours into it at this stage, excellent stuff so far, great feel to it, a bit like Blade Runner in parts, and very funny. I'd recommend it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yes indeed excellent game. After all how many games actually ship properly finished. I've given up penalising a game for that as it's par for the course.
    This game is great. At first I found it annoying that most of the dialogue is text only but in the end it doesn't take away from the really involving evolving story. Graphics are very good considering it's a Q2 engine game. At the end of the day though I want content and if it's good content then I don't need curved surfaces, spectacular lighting just a game with hours of play that I will keep coming back to and Anachronox fits the bill for me.

Demo's up at www.nethousegames.com and shouldn't be too busy, not as clogged as most other sources for it anyway smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by musician:
    Yes indeed excellent game. After all how many games actually ship properly finished. I've given up penalising a game for that as it's par for the course. </font>

No it isn't. Startopia worked straight out of the box, as did BG2ToB, ST-Away team, Kohan, Tropico, No one lives forever.

I'm actually tired of this "release before we are finished" crap. The more people who agree with it, the more they will keep doing it. Just look at Anarchy Online.

The game is 100% working condition on the supported platforms, windows 2k is not one of the supported platforms, and it's the OS that Anachronox has had the problems with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I was planning on getting this after seeing the rolling demo, and its now on my shopping list for definate when i get payed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

pity ION are in such trouble frown.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    No it isn't. Startopia worked straight out of the box, as did BG2ToB, ST-Away team, Kohan, Tropico, No one lives forever.
    </font>

So there will be no patches released for any of those games? Final versions are they? Anachronox worked out of the box for me and I have patched it already. It's got to be impossible to ensure that the game will work under any circumstances especially with Windows systems where we all have different hardware configurations and I doubt if any of us regularly check the Microsoft accredited drivers etc. So the game will sometimes not work for you. If one of the above worked for you and Anachronox didn't then you can be sure Startropia for example ****ed off somebody else out there. And so we have patches. I think it's unavoidable imho.

[This message has been edited by musician (edited 10-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

BG2 isn't very reliable at all for me, even patched(and ToB is like an uber-patch, so that doesn't count).

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

Advertisement