Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point and click

Options
  • 06-07-2001 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

Played through Day of the tentacle and Sam & Max, both excellent, but I never played any of the monkey island games smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

*shock*

Get em

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Pity MI4 has so many bugs though...

I saw MI3 in town yesterday (Game and HMV at least) in a new "plastic-DVD-holder" type pack for only £19.99 and passed it up to get the Unreal/Unreal Missions/UT/UT Extras box set for the same price.

Is MI3 worth it then?

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

let us not forget the absolutely incredible Gabriel Knight (I), Simon The Sorcerer and Legend Of Kyrandia... all of which are very much available on the web these days.

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 06-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

I do not give a **** what the critics say, Full Throttle is a classic.

Even though it was a bit dull, I also liked The Dig. Good voice acting and quality effects for the time.

The Broken Sword games were very good too.

ThunderingMike Thus conscience does make cowards of us all, And thus the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, And enterprises of great pitch and moment, With this regard their current turns away, And lose the name of action... Nows that's a sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Does BioForge fit into this category ?

• Advertisement

Was thinking earlier about my favourite point and click games. This genre is well and truthly dead but in its day it was brillant.

The first 3 monkey island games I still play regularly (yes MI4 is a classic too) aswell as Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle *sob* classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Straker

Point & Click: Give Grim Fandango ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

ive always had a soft spot for the broken sword games and apparently the 3rd one is on its way. yipee!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

There was this brilliant adventure game I played years back which involved NAzi's, the occult and these strange ice creatures. Cant remember what it was called but it was absolutely brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

Grim Fandango is a class game.
    Also are the Broken Sword Games aswell.
    Any1 heard anythin' about a Broken Sword 3 ??
    I thought I heard somthing about this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Broken Sword 3 was announced yes. The press release hype toted some amazing 3d engine which should shock the pants off you etc etc. For any those who wanted to see another 2d click and point but something good and after say sam & max, try the original Broken Sword 1. Its rather impressive and a very nice and relaxing game - well worth a tenner if you see it around town.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned my point and click favourite (in personal top 5 games ever) - Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis. Plus there are many that swear by the earlier Indiana Jones and final crusade. Did anyone mention cruise for a corpse or curse of enchanta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Monkey Island 1-3 are great, 3's a bit easy though.
    Full throttle, brilliant but way too short. I beat it a day.
    Broken sword, great fun, if a bit easy.
    Sam & Max is one of the best adventure games ever. Hilarious , but quite hard.
    Loom(remeber that guy in monkey island 1 in the scumm bar?) loses out because it's not a comedy game, but a quality adventure none the less.
    Star Trek 25th aniversary edition, one of the few good star trek games. I'd strongly recomend it.
    I haven't played DOTT or the Dig though.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who have played Monkey Island and DOTT, and sad, blinkered fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Just finished Grim Fandango a couple of days ago. Brilliant and hillarious. Sam and Max was another absolute hoot. Couldn't get DOTT to run on my Win9x machine. Sound card problems frown.gif

All fantastic anyhow. Pity it seems to be a dying genre.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It aint dead...its mutating biggrin.gif

I'm serious i see more and more inspiration from point and click adventures onto other genres I mean the survival horror genre is very similer except with guns Deus Ex has point and click elements.

Its just being absorbed by the other genres giving it life in them but at the same time the original ones have little to offer that the mutated ones already have. Except of course very few games are as funny as the point and click collection smile.gif

Genres dont die they assimilate

Point and Click has growen up to become the lovely jovely full 3d adventures we see today.

Broken Sword forgot about that one ... very linear no getting stuck its like watching a cartoon just slapping them with the mouse to make sure they keep moving.

might have ago off DOTT again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

DOTT was probably the funniest game I have ever played.
    Classic point and click fun.
    I remember the dressing up the mummy in spaghetti the best.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ThunderingMike:
    I do not give a **** what the critics say, Full Throttle is a classic.

Even though it was a bit dull, I also liked The Dig. Good voice acting and quality effects for the time.

The Broken Sword games were very good too.

</font>

Sorry but I thought Full Throttle was utterly dull and lacked any real 'stickiness' (for want of a better term!) - no real reason to keep playing... no imagination, and ultimately boring and unfulfilling.

As for The Dig, apart from the difficulty level and the amount of time wandering around finding empty spaces before finally inexplicably finding the correct place to go (if you get my drift), the voice acting was OK, and yes- the effects were good - for their time. It still had a factor of pointlessness and occasional boredom about it and I'd still go for the Indiana Jones graphic adventures over it ANY day...

Broken Sword I couldn't comment on - always seemed to crash at the exact same point for my brother (who was WELL into it...) - story seemed alright tho'.

I'd somewhat agree with Sico's last comment... If you haven't played the Monkey Island games (and there are 4 of them) then get out and nab them now! No excuse not to as the first three are going dead cheap. As for the others, I'd HIGHLY recommend Sam & Max Hit the Road and Day of the Tentacle. (These two can be found together in the same budget price box).

What's "Loom" like, anyone?

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 09-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sam and Max hit the Road was the first CDRom i bought for my old 486 smile.gif

The talkie/CDROM version of the game is bloody great, and funny to boot.

DOS only however. It didn't like windows 95 (at the time) one bit.

- Munch

For All you ppl who don't already know -
    Broken Sword 1 & 2 are 5 quid each.
    and just to say GRIM FANDANGO is a classic experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

5 quid is a good deal for broken sword 2 - 2CD's and well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Full throttle was full of gaming goodness. The latter Monkey Islands though were, hmmm, lacking in something. It's like a sitcom that's already peaked and they're running out of jokes.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Bard, I can e-mail you loom if you like. It's pretty small.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun:
    Bard, I can e-mail you loom if you like. It's pretty small.

</font>

A conversation best kept in email, i think you'll agree wink.gif

I've emailed you @ your eircom.net address

Ta,

Bard
    "I have a plan... and it's as hot... AS MY PANTS!!!" - Lord Flashheart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Monkey Island series are games that I will be telling my kids about. I remember the summers before I was legally allowed work, myself and my mates would sit around playing Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga. It was 12 disks of goody goodness. Actually I remember near the start of the game when "You are in the bar, and Largo walks in, he spits against a wall", it took bloody 3 disk changes in the course of the spit flying through the air. Ah those were the days...

There have been so many games throughout the years and I think that some of these point & click adventures had more of an impact on us, than others game types.

My fav. games of all time have to be The Monkey Island Series on the PC (no disk changes, thank god), Resident Evil Series & Final Fantasy VII on the PS One. Half Life on the PC also.

Those games kept me engrossed for weeks on end. But when you consider the graphics of Monkey Island 1 on the Amiga compared to that of Half Life on my TNT2, it is clear that quality of gameplay is more important.

;-phobos-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Indy & Last crusade, Gabrial Knight & Day of the Tentacle my top 3 old-favs.

There are a load of free Adventure Games on the net.

Check this site out : http://www.lap.ttu.ee/crowsnest

These are mostly amateur games though but I'd say if u delve deep u'll find a lot of fine titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

My faviort Point and Click game is Counter-Strike...

What's that you say? "Dark-Angel you m0ng, CS ain't no frikken Pointin' and Clickin' game, foo!" ...

Well.. there you are wrong, 'foo'. For my l33t computer with no (read: zero, zilch, none, nada, the biiiig O) 3d card, and no video card automatically turns my CS into a .bmp full game with big blocky men, and you have to point your mouse and click at them, and if you're lucky, after 5 seconds of lag, you might just shoot them! WOW! GO BUY IT NOW!

-Dark-Angel-
    ...has no 3d card. =( *hint hint*

[This message has been edited by Dark-Angel (edited 11-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Bitz is broke *hint hint*

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I finsihed the First broken sword and really enjoyed it, the second I never bothered to pick up, if I see it for a fiver though I'll surely get it.

Advertisement